2008 HSC School Rankings (2 Viewers)

maths94

HSC
My school ranked 510. :O Endeavour Sport high, luckily im trying out for selective :D

kevda1st

HSC
is it realistic for a friend of mine who goes to a reallly bad school (ranked 350+) that wants to do med?

Last edited:

maths94

HSC
is it realistic for a friend of mine who goes to parramatta high (ranked 361) that wants to do med?
yes even though ur school may not be ranked well he can still get a high uai. But there is a little percentage of people at his school who get an ATAR of 95+. Example if you went to caringbah high school ranked 20 there are much more people who get 95+. Tell him to go to a better school as he will become academically better as he gets more competition from his peers. So ye hope that helped. :santa:

kevda1st

HSC
yes even though ur school may not be ranked well he can still get a high uai. But there is a little percentage of people at his school who get an ATAR of 95+. Example if you went to caringbah high school ranked 20 there are much more people who get 95+. Tell him to go to a better school as he will become academically better as he gets more competition from his peers. So ye hope that helped. :santa:
kinds too late for that dont u thinK? the HSC is in 2 months time..
His subjects are good tho, nothing that really scales u down...(4U math, Adv Eng, chem phys and bio.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
is it realistic for a friend of mine who goes to a reallly bad school (ranked 350+) that wants to do med?
It's possible to get med from any school - so long as you're ready to put in the hard yards with regards to ATAR + UMAT.

jessicalysenko

HSC
kinds too late for that dont u thinK? the HSC is in 2 months time..
His subjects are good tho, nothing that really scales u down...(4U math, Adv Eng, chem phys and bio.
scaling isnt the issue. I'll try to quickly explain...
you're 'scaled' school mark comes purely from your rank, which then chooses the respective HSC mark which came from your school.. e.g. you are 1st in X2 maths and the top mark in the HSC from your school for X2 maths is 98, though you have a bad day and get 90. Your scaled SCHOOL mark (50%) is 98 and your HSC mark is 90, so altogether thats 94 (averaged)

Basically, if you have a GOOD RANK then its ok, just means that if you go to a shit school (no offence intended) then it is imperative to get a good rank (preferably like top 3) in order to get that good school mark.

The above info is what I understand of how it works.. makes me more relaxed because going to selective means most people do well in their HSC so its ok... not that im failing any subjects (wait for trial results.. :S)

either way, good luck with trials.. gun it and you're sweet!
xxx Jess

lucyG

HSC
Okay let's just say that my school isn't in the top 400... now that is terrible.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
My school last year was in the low 500s but i still think it's the best school I could ever wish for ^_^.

Although it's generally in the low-mid 200s.... so I guess it's not really a reflection of the school's past HSC academic achievement.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
you're 'scaled' school mark comes purely from your rank, which then chooses the respective HSC mark which came from your school.. e.g. you are 1st in X2 maths and the top mark in the HSC from your school for X2 maths is 98, though you have a bad day and get 90. Your scaled SCHOOL mark (50%) is 98 and your HSC mark is 90, so altogether thats 94 (averaged)
Technically, no. School doesn't send in the ranks to BOS. BOS only receives marks from school. BOS looks at the distribution of marks for each student. Your example is correct though. If you come first in the year and if the top mark is 98, that becomes your internal mark and yes, you get to keep your mark. But your example is only correct because you provided the example where the person comes first. If it was 2nd, it really depends on how close she was in respect to first in terms of marks at school.

For example,

There are 3 students: A, B and C.
Internarl marks were like: 97, 96 and 93.

Exteral marks were like: 100, 96 and 95 respecitvely.

Now, in respect to those external marks, internal marks are "adjusted". 97 becomes 100 and 96 becomes 99 (because since it was very close in terms of internal result) and 93 probably becomes around 95 to 96.

So A get 100, B get 98 or 97 and C get 95.

Basically, if you have a GOOD RANK then its ok, just means that if you go to a shit school (no offence intended) then it is imperative to get a good rank (preferably like top 3) in order to get that good school mark.

The above info is what I understand of how it works.. makes me more relaxed because going to selective means most people do well in their HSC so its ok... not that im failing any subjects (wait for trial results.. :S)

either way, good luck with trials.. gun it and you're sweet!
Ranks are certainly important but as long as your marks are high up there with little difference, it doesn't really matter.

However, I do agree. Going to Selective School like NSG is safer compared to going to a "shit school" where you can be adversely affected by others' performances.

sachu

HSC
Omg
holsworthy high where are you.......
Do we really suck that bad..?
We need to pull up guys atleast t0p 400 plzzz....

diametric

HSC
Re: Full School Rankings

A few subject rankings.

English Ext 1
1. Cherrybrook Technology High School 17 13 76.47
2. James Ruse Agricultural High School 83 63 75.9
3. Monte Sant’ Angelo Mercy College 20 15 75
4. St Marys Senior High School 15 11 73.33
5. Mount St Joseph Milperra 7 5 71.43
6. Moriah College 27 19 70.37
7. International Grammar School 13 9 69.23
8. Kambala 25 17 68
9. Brigidine College Randwick 6 4 66.67
10. Northern Beaches Secondary College, Mackellar Girls Campus 3 2 66.67
11. Terrigal High School 6 4 66.67
12. Wenona School 15 10 66.67
13. SCEGGS Darlinghurst 38 24 63.16
14. Colo High School 16 10 62.5
15. Loreto Kirribilli 13 8 61.54
16. North Sydney Girls High School 100 61 61
I'm assuming the ext 1 listing is for schools with only 5+ students? Cause there'd be a few with only 3 or so that would top that list. Last yr, we had 3 students do ext 1, who got 46, 46, and 45.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)