Re: Top 200 Schools - Daily Telegraph

Enobarbus said:
so... where's the rest of the list? that's the funny part
Yeah real funny, asshole <_<.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

181. St Francis Xavier's College ........................................... 2651 ........... 234 .... 8.83

go team

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC

diametric said:
I'd like to tell you: Fuck you.
After the Herald's 'exposé', our Principal pulled everyone in TAFE out the next day. No students from Malek Fahd Islamic School sat HSC exams at TAFE in 2009.
Sorry for informing you of the truth the Herald likes to misinform individuals about; or, rather, not report the whole truth.
:haha:, how very nice of your principal lol, he actually let the kids sit their hsc at the school :eek:. and i think you mean 2008, not 2009. and what about the herald's story was false? they said that Malek Fahd made kids sit the HSC at tafe if there was a risk of their reputation being damaged. this was true. you want the herald to predict that the principal was going to pull those kids out the next day?

dp624

HSC

serideth said:
Awesome! 1st for 13 years in a row. Great work Ruse 08! Hopefully we'll break 900 credits next year. Also congrats to Baulko and everyone else who completed their HSC, take a well deserved break for a month or two before uni applications come back :)
Nah you won't break 900 =P I'll bet on it.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC

I do not think the Malek Fahd principal let kids sit their HSC in tafe because of mere reputation; it was probably so that the smarter/ harder working students don't get dragged down by a proportion of 'slack students'.

Malek Fahd Islamic School is a wonderful school which I respect , especially the commitment of the principal Dr Ali.

What was the highest score at malek fahd this year?

(NB: I used to attend Malek Fahd myself, but left at the end of year 10...)

didier91

HSC

woot moved from 71st to 64th this year! :skip:

Nasonex

HSC
N/A

wat bout full school ranks?

diametric

HSC

Rageeb said:
:haha:, how very nice of your principal lol, he actually let the kids sit their hsc at the school :eek:. and i think you mean 2008, not 2009. and what about the herald's story was false? they said that Malek Fahd made kids sit the HSC at tafe if there was a risk of their reputation being damaged. this was true. you want the herald to predict that the principal was going to pull those kids out the next day?
yeah, sorry, did mean 2008.
and i think kido_1 is also correct; would i be able to do as well if there were people to pull me down? am i upset that the people who couldnt give two shits are sent to TAFE? unfortunately no longer.

am i pleased that new school policy is that no individual is to be let go after year 10 from now on due to media attention and politics?

absolutely fucking not. we're a private school who can do as we wish.

and, PU-LEASE, this is not something that was exclusive to our school. we're just bashed for it because we're malek fahd ISLAMIC school.

and, their reporting was incorrect in that they did not report that the practice of sending students to TAFE has been discontinued and provided the image that we did not deserve our ranking of 11th, because under-achievers had sat exams at TAFE, which is absolutely untrue.

furthermore, despite sending underachievers to TAFE in the past, 2008 has been the most successful for malek fahd in terms of numbers. 134 band 6's, and 43.9% success rate as opposed to 39% last yr.

JRAHS-Student

HSC

The mere fact that people were indeed sent to TAFE because they didn't meet standards is just not right. It's a school and it's a team effort in order to get the best results and individual UAIs, not just picking the best of the bunch and throwing away the rest.

Even at my school, people are never kicked out even if they end up getting 95 or whatever which is very low by school standards. They do not pull you down. If you were so much better than them, your assessment ranks and external assessment would be a lot better than them, therefore making them irrelevant in your overall HSC and subsequent UAI.

If individuals had teachers that are more dedicated to helping those that need help instead of getting rid of them, the school would benefit overall.

It's good to hear that the practice has stopped.

HSC

Woo, not even in the top 200 :D

diametric

HSC

JRAHS-Student said:
The mere fact that people were indeed sent to TAFE because they didn't meet standards is just not right. It's a school and it's a team effort in order to get the best results and individual UAIs, not just picking the best of the bunch and throwing away the rest.

Even at my school, people are never kicked out even if they end up getting 95 or whatever which is very low by school standards. They do not pull you down. If you were so much better than them, your assessment ranks and external assessment would be a lot better than them, therefore making them irrelevant in your overall HSC and subsequent UAI.

If individuals had teachers that are more dedicated to helping those that need help instead of getting rid of them, the school would benefit overall.

It's good to hear that the practice has stopped.
The difference is that James Ruse is selective right at entry in yr 7. Malek Fahd is not selective till after yr 10; though even that practice is beginning to stop.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A

diametric said:
and i think kido_1 is also correct; would i be able to do as well if there were people to pull me down? am i upset that the people who couldnt give two shits are sent to TAFE? unfortunately no longer.

am i pleased that new school policy is that no individual is to be let go after year 10 from now on due to media attention and politics?

and, PU-LEASE, this is not something that was exclusive to our school. we're just bashed for it because we're malek fahd ISLAMIC school.

and, their reporting was incorrect in that they did not report that the practice of sending students to TAFE has been discontinued and provided the image that we did not deserve our ranking of 11th, because under-achievers had sat exams at TAFE, which is absolutely untrue.

furthermore, despite sending underachievers to TAFE in the past, 2008 has been the most successful for malek fahd in terms of numbers. 134 band 6's, and 43.9% success rate as opposed to 39% last yr.
I'm shocked. Why should such a school even be allowed to operate? Such abhorrent practices should be met with the removal of accreditation by the Board.

It's good to want a school to do well. But at some point, compassion and humanity kick in, and you have to realise that students are more than just a statistic. They're actual people.

You say that, as a private school, this institution should be allowed to "do as we wish". Why is it, then, that Malek Fahd Islamic School receives generous funding from governments? It's our money, taxpayers' money. I don't want my tax dollars going to fund a school that flouts any notion of the Aussie fair go, and kicks students out for not performing well.

This is simply unAustralian, and goes against our culture. Any school that receives government payments, Islamic or not, that spits on our Australian values of fairness and inclusion, should pack up and find a campus overseas.

Such small-minded and inhumane values are not welcome in our country.

Last edited:

cjtk

HSC
N/A

2007 181
2008 96
:d

BabyBlueVamp

HSC

North Sydney Girls?
GUYS... I will join yr 11 next year at that skool. OMG.. third. Seriously, one of my closest friend is going to join Baulko. Man 2010. We will soo show them.
Beat baulko's. Beat Baulko's.. lol

morning storm

HSC

Enobarbus said:
It's good to want a school to do well. But at some point, compassion and humanity kick in, and you have to realise that students are more than just a statistic. They're actual people.
i dont know why, but this paragraph (especially the last sentence) made me laugh. that said it has nothing to do with what you're saying but more how you said it. i think its the emphatic 'They're actual people', which was already so heavily implied. not sure if you meant it, but its gold either way :lol:

ouch. i must admit i disagreed with diametric, but i think thats a bit harsh. i think this is exagerating the situation. there have been worse travesties in NSW schooling.

having said that diametric, i think its unfair to say that your school received the attention because you are an islamic school. its the same reason why people were like 'wtf ruse got 15 mins extra in ext 1 maths exam. what lengths will that school go to get the best results?'

sonnysburning

HSC

can you find out the rankings of schools after the 200? or are they just not ranked? also, do they take into account the size of the year 12 group? there's only (or was) 30 people in my whole year..

dp624

HSC

diametric said:
I don't think this can be regarded as correct morally at all. Of course I'd prefer a random bunch of people at my school to drop out if I were a person who'd like to whore for marks as much as I can. I personally know a few people who have specifically asked friends of mine to drop certain subjects because they aren't good at it. This is a despicable practice. I agree with Enobarbus in that they are actual human beings who also want good UAIs. They are not statistics which drag down a school.
The fact that your principal DID this is also despicable. Perhaps it's to make the top students do better. Perhaps it's to boost the stats which are released. Either way, it is unfair and biased and most of all demeaning to those who are 'kicked out.'

By going to a school they deserve equal opportunity. The notion of an Aussie fairgo is prevalent in society. If you decide to shun it, then you will cop flack. Deal with it.

Oh big whoop. I think that it was only discontinued because the media got wind of it? Correct me if I'm wrong.
As I said above, however, every student deserves a fair go. People at my school who underperform get the same opportunities as everyone. Part of the allure of James Ruse is the very good working environment and the power of moderation in creating a very good grade, regardless of your performance inside or outside of school.

OK, so results increased. Good work.

BabyBlueVamp

HSC

Enobarbus said:
I'm shocked. Why should such a school even be allowed to operate? Such abhorrent practices should be met with the removal of accreditation by the Board.

You say that, as a private school, this institution should be allowed to "do as we wish". Why is it, then, that Malek Fahd Islamic School receives generous funding from governments? It's our money, taxpayers' money. I don't want my tax dollars going to fund a school that flouts any notion of the Aussie fair go, and kicks students out for not performing well.

This is simply unAustralian, and goes against our culture. Any school that receives government payments, Islamic or not, that spits on our Australian values of fairness and inclusion, should pack up and find a campus overseas.

A) this is a private school, not a public school. And B) you don't even the policies of the school, It must have warned the students before. Plus you don't know what is going on in that school.
I think that you are being a bit narrow minded. And yes, no matter what you say, your judgement is clouded by the fact that it is an Islamic School. That is not fair! Plus, who are you to judge what is Australian or not. No offence or anything. Our culture is what we make of it. Its the diversity. I get it, i am a bit puzzled by their actions. But that doesn't mean that i am jumping to a conclusion that they are unAustralian, or that it is inhumane. Seriously, its not like they are beating their students to get good marks. that is inhumane!

magictoothpaste

HSC

lols haha was trying to find fairfield pats tooo :p i guess its not there .. that shuckss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)