2008 Hsc (1 Viewer)

HSC
I saw this thread in the chem forum so yea. What questions do you think will pop up this year? hope there is no g forces, but wish there is michelson morley

henry08

HSC
N/A
I like G-forces
I bet there is definatly lots of relativity/michelson morley experiment.
Motors and generators is too broad. Something to do with back emf will be in there I bet.
JJ Thompson and cathode rays haven't been up for a while, so they will probably be in the exam (hopefully).
Astrophysics 7 mark question will be on adaptive optics/active optics etc.
I hope for something easy as well like ac power use effects on socity, or the Planck Vs Einstein debate etc.

clonestar

Physicist/*******
HSC
N/A
I am hoping for something on X-ray crystallography but the way the examiners write questions lately you need to focus heavily on these 2 items:

1. Language.. be prepared to be bamboozled with literacy and deception. Yes that's right no typo look for the best answer when it appears there are two similar answers eg multiple choice. With the longer essay questions focus on the verb and the marks and that should guide you in the right direction.
2. Calculations-mathematical...be familiar with multiple parts in a questions and generally speaking something in part (a) will be required for b or c or d. Also set out your working clearly and logically.

I expect for core projectile motion this year, relativity with interferometer been years since we had a question on the null result; superconductivity; photoelectric effect; AC induction motors; possibly political and social forces on Science Vs politics eg Einstein Vs Plank; Planks Quantum physics- E=nHf and much much more.

Don't leave anything to waste study everything and don't forget your option :jaw:

:D

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Haha nice, I was just about to make this thread. I think possible questions they MIGHT ask this year are:
- Eddy current braking or induction cookers
- Michelson Morley, prolly why their experiment is so valued
- Einstein and Plancks "parting of the ways", about the WW1 (pacifist vs nazi? lol) and having different views
- Edison and Westinghouse, why did westinghouse win
- A big dirty 8 marker for each optional topic
- A safe re entry 5 marker

I didnt read the above posts until now, and its funny how many people are suggesting Einstein vs Planck.

dolbinau

HSC
or the Planck Vs Einstein debate etc.
Do you know where I can get good information on this? Do you recall the last time this was asked in the HSC so I can get HSC marking guidelines/SuccessOne marking?

samwell

HSC
I sincerely hope we have michelson morley for space, 8 mark question for BCS theory/band structure and 5 mark question on induction cooker or EM braking. I also hope we get cloud chamber experiment 4 Q2Q.

henry08

HSC
N/A
SkimDawg said:
Haha nice, I was just about to make this thread. I think possible questions they MIGHT ask this year are:
- Eddy current braking or induction cookers
- Michelson Morley, prolly why their experiment is so valued
- Einstein and Plancks "parting of the ways", about the WW1 (pacifist vs nazi? lol) and having different views
- Edison and Westinghouse, why did westinghouse win
- A big dirty 8 marker for each optional topic
- A safe re entry 5 marker

I didnt read the above posts until now, and its funny how many people are suggesting Einstein vs Planck.
If that's what the questions were that would be great.

henry08

HSC
N/A
samwell said:
I sincerely hope we have michelson morley for space, 8 mark question for BCS theory/band structure and 5 mark question on induction cooker or EM braking. I also hope we get cloud chamber experiment 4 Q2Q.
I doubt there would be an 8 mark question on BCS theory/band structure. I like induction cookers and EM braking.

I think superconductivity will be a big part.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
I get the bad feeling that there will be something on projectile motion (there usually is). It looks like Einstein vs Planck hasn't been tested in a while (I think... can someone confirm?), so that might come up.

henry08

HSC
N/A
I just had a look at paper 2001 - 2007 and I didn't see the Planck Vs Einstein question AT ALL.

There is a question on Projecticle motion (3/4/5 marks) every year. I like them.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Then in that case they could possibly test Einstein vs Planck this year. Projectile motion is probably always going to be part of the paper. Everyone else's predictions seem pretty good. Well, good luck in the exams, everyone!

dolbinau

HSC
What do you think the chances are we'll have to name a scientist and their contributions in the space topic? Have they ever asked that?

henry08

HSC
N/A
I know they have in Chemistry, but since the Physics syllabus changed in 2001 it has never been asked in Physics.

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
henry08 said:
I know they have in Chemistry, but since the Physics syllabus changed in 2001 it has never been asked in Physics.
Are you kidding? That was my assessment task for that unit. What a waste of time heh.

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Space wasn't it? A rocketry sicentist and their contributions to, well, i guess you could say space travel.

HSC
Yeah you had to find the contributions of either Tsiolkovsky, Oberth, Goddard, Esnault-Pelterie, O Neill or Von Braun. Well I did this as an assignment as well

Artemis.

HSC
I'm pretty sure the praticising scientist is somewhere else in the syllabus, and different to the von Braun/Oberth dot point. Cos we had to do an assessment on a practising Australian scientist, and it could relate to any module.
So I hope that gets tested lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)