2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (2 Viewers)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
A High Way Man said:
i dont think that works because the president just becomes a tragic comic figure and government stagnates... like...the one.. now
You need a strong symbol.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Enteebee said:
haha yeah I've always thought a good response regarding the prospect of mccain's death is to point out that his mother has been out there stumping with him at around 100 years old.
She looks and acts roughly the same as McCain's wife imo

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
A High Way Man said:
...the difference is obama won the democratic nominee contest from a field of seperate candidates, fair and square afawk, beating the CLINTON brand. palin was picked on a hunch
But would you agree that it's right to think a black person might get black people to vote for them? If so then what's so sexist about assuming women might vote for a woman? There's nothing irrational about wanting someone who's more likely to represent your unique experience or at the very least who for whatever reason you feel is a similar enough symbol of you that can you attach your aspirations to.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Enteebee said:
Oh so you don't think that voting blocs are considered by the democrats when they pick their running mates? There's nothing sexist in thinking that a woman in the whitehouse might interest women anymore than to say a black man in the whitehouse might interest black people is racist, it's true and it doesn't mean the groups are dumb.
it's the timing of the pick, right after the reports of disillusioned hillary supporters, that is most telling.

do u think its sexist to assume that women voters will vote for a particular ticket, mainly because another woman is on it, even though it's a known fact that the women voters have completely different views..? such an assumption underestimates the intelligence of women voters

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Enteebee said:
If so then what's so sexist about assuming women might vote for a woman?
because its completely irrational if their stances on the issues differ widely. ur assuming women are low information voters...

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
do u think its sexist to assume that women voters will vote for a particular ticket, mainly because another woman is on it, even though it's a known fact that the women voters have completely different views..? such an assumption underestimates the intelligence of women voters
No I don't. Women do have different views but a strong woman is likely to rally women, I don't see the problem.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
A High Way Man said:
because its completely irrational if their stances on the issues differ widely. ur assuming women are low information voters...
I'm assuming that people don't vote for the most part on the issues. Really, what's wrong with Palin? She gave as strong a speech as I've seen given, she's been able to govern a (albeit rather small) state and her party seem very happy with her.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
She's more than a woman? Just like Obama is more than a black man?
She's the most potent symbol of middle America since Nixon in the Eisenhower years

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Enteebee said:
No I don't. Women do have different views but a strong woman is likely to rally women, I don't see the problem.
what u suggest is the subversion of the entire political process. white for white, black for black, women for women, gays for gays, who cares what they actually think. collectivism at its finest

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
But on the other i want to see mccain win and watch America continue its downfall
I'm with you on this. As long as it keeps our Australian dollar above 95 U.S cents I'm happy for America's continuous downfall. :)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
MissSarajevo said:
The only reason I want to win Obama is a hope that he might increase funding for alternative energy as promised in his acceptance speech. otherwise I'm all for McCain to maintain American superiority in the world. Cowards like Obama will easily submit to terrorist demands.

Do you seriously believe in Global Warming?

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
also, is the indefinite suspension of habeas corpus part of the GOP party platform? palin mocked obama for wanting to make sure terrorists *gasp* know their rights

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
also, is the indefinite suspension of habeas corpus part of the GOP party platform? palin mocked obama for wanting to make sure terrorists *gasp* know their rights
Yeah, that made my stomach turn. Human rights are for assholes, apparently. GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY.

HSC
Captain Hero said:
Yeah, that made my stomach turn. Human rights are for assholes, apparently. GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY.
i've got to say, i had a pretty good perception of palin prior to her making that comment. now, she reminds me of hitler, minus the tash.

nonetheless, i would tap that ass. would you?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah the rights part was the most risky bit of the speech. I think the general point of reasonable preemption and the question of Obama's willingness to make a tough call like that, was fair.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
Senator McCains Speech:

98%: Crickets

Drilling: Massive Applause!

These people aren't really conservatives, they're just rabid one-issue foaming-at-the-mouth oil drilling zealots

At least McCains speech was modest, and gave us an insight to what he was like before he entered crazy base world. The poor, poor man, I feel sorry for him. His party was hijacked by the Christian right

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Yeah his speech was boring. TBH that he changed so much in order to be president is somewhat good to hear for more independent people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)