2009 Raw marks. (1 Viewer)

Thecorey0

HSC
Just got back from a holiday to port macquarie to be greeted with a massive package containing my raw marks, state ranks and exam papers. Some of them were quite depressing.

TM = total mark - raw mark
TWM = Total weighted mark - raw mark after optional and common question scaling has been applied.

Ancient History:
Exam Script and results of individual questions:MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
TM=83.5
TWM=90
Exam mark = 90.0
State Rank = 1221

Chemistry:
Exam Script and results of individual questions:MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
TWM=56
Exam mark = 81.2
State Rank = 3253

English (Advanced):
TM=66.13
TWM=73
Exam mark = 82.6
State Rank = 9618

Mathematics:
TM=110/120
TWM = 110/120
Exam mark = 96.0
State Rank = 338

Mathematics Extension 1
TM=67/84
TWM=67/84
Exam mark = 94.0
State Rank: 1096

History Extension
TM = 48.5/50
TWM=49/50
Exam mark = 49.4/50 (So close to 50)
State Rank = 13 (so close to being publicly acknowledged)

Physics:
TM=84.0
TWM = 85
Exam mark = 92.1
State rank = 671

Optional question scaling:
Ancient history:
18/25 ==> 21.1/25 for New Kingdom Egypt Section II
21/25 ==> 23/25 Punic Wars Section IV
23/25 ==> 23.9/25 Hatshepsut Section III

Chemitry:
18/25 ==> 17.2/25 Industrial Chemistry

Physics:
20/25 ==> 20.5/25 Astrophysics

English (Advanced):
14.5/20 ==> 16/20 Gwen Harwood - Critical Study of Texts
14/20 ==> 15.4/20 Smithsonian Website - History and Memory
11/20 ==> 12.2/20 Frankenstein and Blade Runner - Texts in Time

Can someone explain Ancient History, the TWM = exam mark. Does this mean that it wasn't aligned at all, other then the optional question scaling?

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Just got back from a holiday to port macquarie to be greeted with a massive package containing my raw marks, state ranks and exam papers. Some of them were quite depressing.

TM = total mark - raw mark
TWM = Total weighted mark - raw mark after optional and common question scaling has been applied.

Ancient History:
TM=83.5
TWM=90
Exam mark = 90.0
State Rank = 1221

Chemistry:
TM=57
TWM=56
Exam mark = 81.2
State Rank = 3253

English (Advanced):
TM=66.13
TWM=73
Exam mark = 82.6
State Rank = 9618

Mathematics:
TM=110/120
TWM = 110/120
Exam mark = 96.0
State Rank = 338

Mathematics Extension 1
TM=67/84
TWM=67/84
Exam mark = 94.0
State Rank: 1096

History Extension
TM = 48.5/50
TWM=49/50
Exam mark = 49.4/50 (So close to 50)
State Rank = 13 (so close to being publicly acknowledged)

Physics:
TM=84.0
TWM = 85
Exam mark = 92.1
State rank = 671

Can someone explain Ancient History, the TWM = exam mark. Does this mean that it wasn't aligned at all, other then the optional question scaling?
Another LOL at Chem

Hmm, hey, just wondering, were your phys and chem raw marks similar to what you got in your trials?

Thecorey0

HSC
Chemistry trial mark: 85
Physics Trial mark: 64
Basically swapped around.
Looking at the paper now, at my responses, I reckon I was hard done by in Chemistry. But meh, it's over now.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hmm yeah, it's over.
I just wanted to know if the marking was harsh or not. It seems chem and phys mark differences were very big. But then, it's prob the changed question types.

blackratpoo

HSC
wow, congrats at history extension. ancient is the much easier history or so ive heard so maybe no aligning occurs the higher you get - perhaps cem who is a judge (for modern) can give her insights.

like 90 in a science would go to high 90's.....so for it to not go up at all is pretty devo. i dont understand these chemistry marks? wtf. its a worry.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
wow, congrats at history extension. ancient is the much easier history or so ive heard so maybe no aligning occurs the higher you get - perhaps cem who is a judge (for modern) can give her insights.

like 90 in a science would go to high 90's.....so for it to not go up at all is pretty devo. i dont understand these chemistry marks? wtf. its a worry.
The ancient mark looks right to me - aligning from lower 80s to 90.

The internal weighting is done comparing the Core to the Options.

Last edited:

Thecorey0

HSC
The optional question scaling is also interesting. E.g. my 21/25 in the Punic wars in Ancient, was scaled up to 23. Yet my 18/25 in industrial Chemistry in Chem, scaled down to 17.2. Alot of people did think it was an easy option this year I guess.

Maths Extension 1 has all the marks written on the exam script, where for 2-unit, only q6-10 did. This must be up to the individual marker.

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
The optional question scaling is also interesting. E.g. my 21/25 in the Punic wars in Ancient, was scaled up to 23. Yet my 18/25 in industrial Chemistry in Chem, scaled down to 17.2. Alot of people did think it was an easy option this year I guess.

Maths Extension 1 has all the marks written on the exam script, where for 2-unit, only q6-10 did. This must be up to the individual marker.
Lucky that I did shipwrecks
no guarantee that it didn't scale down but still I think shipwrecks has a lower chance of being scaled down

Thecorey0

HSC
The ancient mark looks right to me - aliging from lower 80s to 90.

The internal weighting is done comparing the Core to the Options.
You're probably the best person to ask this, even though you don't mark it. My first History Extension booklet have a '2/6' and '1/4' and my second has ' 4/6' and '3/3' on the front cover. Do you know what these mean? They seem to have nothing to do with my marks or the number of pages I wrote.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I thought Industrial was quite easy this year.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You're probably the best person to ask this, even though you don't mark it. My first History Extension booklet have a '2/6' and '1/4' and my second has ' 4/6' and '3/3' on the front cover. Do you know what these mean? They seem to have nothing to do with my marks or the number of pages I wrote.
I am not really sure unless they are identfying the marker e.g. Marker 2 in Group 6 and Marker in Group 4 but at Modern that is only put on the top booklet in the bundle. The other reason we see numbers like that is if there are multiple bundles from the school, in which case again the top script will say 1/2 or 2/2. I don't understand why there would be numbers like these but if you would scan one page for me I might be able to work it out.

Thecorey0

HSC
I am not really sure unless they are identfying the marker e.g. Marker 2 in Group 6 and Marker in Group 4 but at Modern that is only put on the top booklet in the bundle. The other reason we see numbers like that is if there are multiple bundles from the school, in which case again the top script will say 1/2 or 2/2. I don't understand why there would be numbers like these but if you would scan one page for me I might be able to work it out.
Well i studied it externally, and the distance ed class was only 2 large, so there would not be multiple bundles. Attached are the cover sheets.

For those interested, the physics exam script has been uploaded with the results for each question.
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well i studied it externally, and the distance ed class was only 2 large, so there would not be multiple bundles. Attached are the cover sheets.

For those interested, the physics exam script has been uploaded with the results for each question.
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

It looks to me as if they are clerical staff identifying the marker/s who marked your centre.

Were you first alphabetically in your class or did you have the first number (I know the numbers aren't always alphabetical within a class and the scripts are in numerical order)?

Last edited:

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Q1-5 in 2-unit were marked onscreen; the marks were entered directly into the computer by the markers.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Q1-5 in 2-unit were marked onscreen; the marks were entered directly into the computer by the markers.
This is going to be happening more and more over the coming years (I have heard that the HSC itself could very well be being delivered and sat by students online from 2012).

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
This is going to be happening more and more over the coming years (I have heard that the HSC itself could very well be being delivered and sat by students online from 2012).
OMG That sucks!!!!!!!! we're not robots!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)