2009 UMAT - How did it go? (1 Viewer)

jules.09

HSC
Section 1 was somewhat of a bitch, i'd say it was on par with the medentry level of difficultly.

Section 2 was an unexpected asshole.

Agree with whoever said it before, section 3 in medentry i though was way way harder than this test, i actually managed to do alot of these ones.

But, rejoice, finally its over.

I was raped by section 1. I think sections 2/3 were alright/fine.

Triquetral

HSC
ive decided anyone that says the whole thing was easy is...a dick

well...in my mind secton 1 i was tight for time but thought was pretty easy but with a few challenging ones in there, section 2 i also thought was pretty good finished with like 10mins to go so got to go toilet :) but...so must subjectability in answers
section 3...i swear was ridiculous and i rekon i guessed almost half...soooo lame
Ah see I'm totally different. That test was a bastard. For me:
Section 3 was the easiest, most questions were pretty simple, the pattern's weren't hard to find, so overall alright and I actually finished it on time.

Section 2 was alright, nothing too hard however the very first time I ever got it I had eye flashes as I read along with the midway headache so couldn't concentrate to save my life...pretty much finished it.

Section 1 was an absolute dickhead so pissed off with that section. Overall it wasn't TOO bad...I didn't use my time well enough I had to guess like 10 questions...like I dunno what happened I had a watch, time was up there...just didn't pay any attention to time at all so it went to waste. But yeah it wasn't that bad of a section just I didn't work quick enough.

Overall...umat is retarded. There. I said it. lol.

jules.09

HSC
Ah see I'm totally different. That test was a bastard. For me:
Section 3 was the easiest, most questions were pretty simple, the pattern's weren't hard to find, so overall alright and I actually finished it on time.

Section 2 was alright, nothing too hard however the very first time I ever got it I had eye flashes as I read along with the midway headache so couldn't concentrate to save my life...pretty much finished it.

Section 1 was an absolute dickhead so pissed off with that section. Overall it wasn't TOO bad...I didn't use my time well enough I had to guess like 10 questions...like I dunno what happened I had a watch, time was up there...just didn't pay any attention to time at all so it went to waste. But yeah it wasn't that bad of a section just I didn't work quick enough.
The first person I actually agree with on this thread XD.

buildabridge

HSC
section 1 was ok, as was section 2 but harder than papers i've done
section 3 almost killed me :S...so many ordering ones which i hate
but it's finished :)

Resident

HSC
Section 1 - Felt very tight with time and had to skim the last few questions. Very little actual problem solving so I found it rather easy.

Section 2 - Had plenty of time left over, there were a few ambiguous choices but most were pretty clear.

Section 3 - I struggled with section 3 in medentry but found today relatively easy, still guessed 4 or so.

luv2luvurmama

HSC
Wasn't too bad... Found section 1 & 2 quite easy... Section 3 required the most time, so I ended up copying the last 5 or so questions off some asain who finished in a few min... Deffs knew what he was doing lol!
Lol, They order the questions differently,
e.g... question one for me, will be different than question one for someone else
HAHA..

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
anyone know what the pattern was in the PTM with the five little houses with the striped/dotted/black roofs and doors?

emmcyclopedia

HSC
anyone know what the pattern was in the PTM with the five little houses with the striped/dotted/black roofs and doors?
i don't think everyone has done the test yet so its probably not something we should openly discuss...

emmcyclopedia

HSC
The first person I actually agree with on this thread XD.
i will second that!!
section 1 wasn't nice, but its generally my least favourite.
and i was shocked by section 2 - they're normally so much easier with so much less reading, i expected to do so much better in that section.
but oath im so glad its over!

Rextu

HSC
Sect 1 was about as hard as expected, sect 2 was a bit harder than expected, but not that hard (though I wish I had a dictionary for 1-2 of the questions which is like a million percentile points) and sect 3 was easier than expected, but not that easy.

Overall, I don't know what to think. After finishing I thought I had stuffed it, but after hearing how everybody else stuffed it, perhaps it wasn't that bad.

jules.09

HSC
Sect 1 was about as hard as expected, sect 2 was a bit harder than expected, but not that hard (though I wish I had a dictionary for 1-2 of the questions which is like a million percentile points) and sect 3 was easier than expected, but not that easy.

Overall, I don't know what to think. After finishing I thought I had stuffed it, but after hearing how everybody else stuffed it, perhaps it wasn't that bad.
Haha, let's hope so. Is this your second attempt?

robm

HSC
section 1 - shit
section 2 - shit
section 3 - shit

But hey, at least i was consistent :)

Did anyone else run out of time for each section or was it just me?

astroe

HSC
I looked at it and realised that the pattern on the door was what was on the roof of the adjacent house, to the left of that house. I think the answer is no pattern, all black.

Argh, as for me,
Section 1 was harder than I expected - too much numerical data and scientific crap
Section 2 was the easiest shizz ever. :) - I can empathise well, haha
Section 3 killed me. :( - I hate patterns. o.o

I didn't run out of time on any of them, although Section 1 & 3 I pretty much finished just with a minute to go. Section 2, I had about 10 minutes leftover.

Oh, I think they split it depending on when you paid/registered, is this true?
Fuck me dead for applying a week before the deadline. If I started at 1:30PM I could have studied all morning. =.=
/sigh.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
wow guys a lot of conflicting views about the difficulty of the different sections. i think they really wrote a decent test this year. diff people have diff strengths and hence should find some sections easier/harder compared to others. i see a lot of people saying they stuffed it or whateva. the fact is, the umat is very random and you cannot really predict what you scored. of course if u had to guess over half the questions, then its not a great sign. however, if you managed to finish most of the questions (which i can see most of you have done) your in there with a chance to do well. ask friends or ppl who graduated ahead of you for what they thought they would get and what they actually got. i can assure u it would make all u cynics out there feel a lot better.

and i cant emphasise this enough, but questions are weighted differently. e.g. 2 ppl both getting 30/44, 30/36 and 25/30 for s,1 s2 and s3 can have a huge difference in their raw marks. and at the end, its the raw mark that counts, not how many u answered correctly. its like ur usual maths/science test. the hard questions at the end that require more working out give the most marks. while the short ones at the start with 1 line of working give little.

Dosu

HSC
N/A
the whole thing seemed really easy. section 1 and 3 were MUCH easier than anticipated. they seemed really similar to the medentry questions.

section 2 however was haaaaaard. lots of tossing up between 2 options and some difficult vocab.

that being said, as it is a percentile i have absolutely no idea how i went overall. i did have to make a few educated guesses. let's just hope it's enough *crosses fingers*

colorization

HSC
Lol, They order the questions differently,
e.g... question one for me, will be different than question one for someone else
HAHA..

Wrong, this is just a rumor that was dispelled today... A mate at my school signed up for the UMAT at the beginning of the year, yet realized he doesn't want to do medicine a few weeks ago. He couldn't get a refund, so he showed up this morning, and as he didn't give a shit, he copied the ENTIRE paper off his neighbor. He told me he didn't read one quesiton, and spent the entire time checking whether his and his neighbours test booklets were the same. He said all questions for section 1 and 3 were in identical order, and even checked some of the multiple choice options of sec 3., and said that they were identical.

I told him hes an idiot as its obvious ACER will see the identical scores.... but he did it anyway lol... Interesting how it shall turn out :haha:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I told him hes an idiot as its obvious ACER will see the identical scores.... but he did it anyway lol... Interesting how it shall turn out :haha:
keep in mind that there are 20,000 ppl sitting the test. ppl with the same answers/scores are bound to turn up. they cant go chasing all these ppl up after the exam. and how are they going to prove you cheated? it is up to the officers who walk up and down the isles to pick up on ppl copying. if ur not caught, you get away with it. simple as that.

jkiss27

HSC
hey everyone
first off id like to say congrats for just completing the UMAT.
it is OVER!! :)

im from WA, where a lot of people are still sitting their test, so try not to say too much about the actual content...

I agree overall with what most people have said, you have all made some valid points. I sat the umat last year, and in my opinion it was waaay easier in section 1 then last year.
the biggest thing with this section, is just getting through all the questions and finishing on time, as most people dont. So well done if you actually finished!

i think the reason a lot of people found section 2 so difficult was- yes the passages were a lot longer then previous questions suggested, but the real reason was most of the questions were very open to interpretation.

If you had done something like English Literature or had read very widely, you would have probably blitzed this section, as most people sitting the umat have very maths/science orientated brains and would struggle to get through all the information and then see the underlying or suggested meaning from what they just read was , which imo was what a lot of this section was about.

It wasnt just about reading on a superficial level, it was about understanding what characters implied or felt and your ability to empathise with them.

Section 3 is where maths/science brains flourish, and overall i think this section tested a lot of people. unfortunately i didnt do meddentry prep that some people suggested was helpful, but i definitely found this section the most difficult time wise, but generally the level of questions werent too bad.

Tbh, this umat test was easier then last year for those who did it, and dont feel disheartened if you didnt do well- there are lots of people in your position, but none of them would probably admit it on this forum.

Best of luck to everyone applying to the respective health science schools!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)