2011 HSC Prediction (1 Viewer)

Dinamo

HSC
Technically soviet foreign policy is stalin... I reckon they could do power struggle because I can't remember when it was last assessed. NEP would be good
Really? They could ask about the impact of communist ideology on FP?:chainsaw2:

Not sure..gl with the exam anyway man

kev-is-red

HSC
N/A
Lack of opposition, foreign policy or collapse of Weimar.

Be careful not to overstate the impact of the Treaty of Versailles on the collapse of the Weimar Republic. Ultimately, the German republic collapsed due to weaknesses in economy, poor policymaking, political instability and social divisions, which manifested themselves following the onset of the Great Depression.

eyeswideshut

HSC
our teacher said it might be power struggle, it was one of the questions in our trial. the other one was impact of terror in stalin's rule so I dunno it could be that.
with foreign policy- its always avoidable, if you know your stuff well and just do the other question.
anyone know the raw mark needed for a 95 assessment mark?

enoilgam

HSC

Be careful not to overstate the impact of the Treaty of Versailles on the collapse of the Weimar Republic. Ultimately, the German republic collapsed due to weaknesses in economy, poor policymaking, political instability and social divisions, which manifested themselves following the onset of the Great Depression.
Remember there are no absolute truths in modern - so there is no right or wrong answer. You can argue that the treaty of versailles was the most significant factor behind the collapse of Weimar. You will be marked on how you use facts to support your analysis.

Dinamo

HSC
Remember there are no absolute truths in modern - so there is no right or wrong answer. You can argue that the treaty of versailles was the most significant factor behind the collapse of Weimar. You will be marked on how you use facts to support your analysis.
This. History provides the freedom to argue whatever you want, all you need is a factual basis and coherent argument. In fact my teacher (a senior marker) encourages us to provide our own opinion.

isabellatres

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey I would probably say 92-93. But this depends on the year and how tough the exam is. Modern doesn't really scale that amazingly unless you're above 95

Croompets

HSC

The Treaty of Versailles ultimately caused Weimars economic problems (not to say that they weren't spurred on by poor economic choice). The reparations had a big impact in locking down the German economy. You could also technically say that the ToV caused the collapse of Weimar, through causing economic turmoil which in turn jump started the NSDAP. But that's just my opinion, and I personally feel it was Eberts and the SPD's failure to curb the power of the industrialists, junker and army which caused the collapse.

bigbirdbanana

HSC
For Germany this year I reakon for Weimar they could asking something related to Versailles and WW1, like "To what extent was Germany's defeat in WW1 (or the treaty of Versailles) responsible for the fall of the Weimar government." Or they could ask "To what extent did the Great depression contribute to the downfall of Weimar democracy". I reakon for Nazi Germany they could ask something about social life maybe or racial policy.
These were my exact predictions! I'm really hoping with the Weimar one that it's based on the collapse of it, i don't really care what they emphasise too much because whichever one they do, I just say yes that had an impact (give some indication to the degree of the impact) then say BUT it alone could not have caused the collapse and there were many other factors involved SUCH AS (do rest of pre-prepared essay :D). Well that's what i'm hoping for anyway haha.

kev-is-red

HSC
N/A
The Treaty of Versailles ultimately caused Weimars economic problems (not to say that they weren't spurred on by poor economic choice). The reparations had a big impact in locking down the German economy. You could also technically say that the ToV caused the collapse of Weimar, through causing economic turmoil which in turn jump started the NSDAP. But that's just my opinion, and I personally feel it was Eberts and the SPD's failure to curb the power of the industrialists, junker and army which caused the collapse.
No doubt they contributed to the economic problems, but they would have emerged regardless. I never said you can't give it a mention, but it is difficult to write a strong essay with the assumption that there was one factor behind the collapse of Germany.

Many historians today, German and non-German, claim that the ToV was actually favourable for Germany.

Detlev Peukert argued that it was widely believed in Germany that Versailles was a totally unreasonable treaty, and it was this "perception" rather than the "reality" of the Versailles treaty that mattered

enoilgam

HSC
No doubt they contributed to the economic problems, but they would have emerged regardless. I never said you can't give it a mention, but it is difficult to write a strong essay with the assumption that there was one factor behind the collapse of Germany.

Many historians today, German and non-German, claim that the ToV was actually favourable for Germany.

Detlev Peukert argued that it was widely believed in Germany that Versailles was a totally unreasonable treaty, and it was this "perception" rather than the "reality" of the Versailles treaty that mattered

I reakon you could make a strong argument for TOV. You could argue that it undermined the legitimacy of the republic, which led to the rise of Nazism. You could also argue that the TOV made Germany's poor economic situation worse which greatly exascerbated the effects of the great depression. In an exam, I would argue that it was a variety of factors that doomed weimar, but strong arguments can be made for each issue alone (TOV, Great depression, Nazism etc).

However, in an essay which asks for TOV alone, I would argue that TOV was the most significant factor, because its extremely difficult to take a "variety of factors" thesis within the parameters of this question.

bigbirdbanana

HSC
To add to the list, possibly an early years question? I don't think they've ever gone down that path, "how did the Weimar government deal with early threats", although it might be a little specific considering they usually span 1918-33 or 1933-39.
If they did look at this, as enoilgam said it would be an analysing question. Perhaps 'Assess the impact of the way the Weimar government dealt with early threats on the [ultimate collapse of the republic] OR [growth and rise of the Nazi party].' So basically they'll probably take one dot point (eg early threats), then ask you to discuss its wider impact (usually on a syllabus heading such as 'Collapse of the Weimar Republic' or 'Rise of the Nazi party from 1923').

Hope that helps :)

HSC
N/A
Cheers that all helps, i'd have to agree on something based on the generic fall of Weimar / Rise of Nazis. Early threats would ultimately come into the equation anyway in some form or another, thanks

wizzle_wazzle

HSC
What about USA 1919-1941 and Pacific War....anyone got some clue what they are gonna ask?
USA - F.P or Racism or Industrialisation.

Pacific - Strategies or Reasons for Defeat or Allied Occupation or Japanaese Occupation of GEACPS.

Btw, classic Knoxy student on this forum :p

sodam

HSC
any thoughts on Russia?
for (a) leaning towards changes in society or communist ideology
(b) impact of collectivisation on the development of stalinism

y510920

HSC
Uni Grad
USA - F.P or Racism or Industrialisation.

Pacific - Strategies or Reasons for Defeat or Allied Occupation or Japanaese Occupation of GEACPS.
my prediction: f.p, conservatism, industrialisation
pacific: yea same, but i am not gonna study for reasons + strategies, given it is always one military and one non-military, so i am only doing allied and japanese occupation

em-ken

HSC
My teacher has been right in predicting Russia questions the last three years and is absolutely dead set It will be on the Power struggle or soviet foreign policy. If you look at past hsc exams the power struggle has never been directly asked so I think its a big possibility for tomorrow.

good luck everyone !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)