2012 HSC Physics Paper Predictions (1 Viewer)

Riaa

HSC
Any predictions on extended response or the overall quality of the paper?

Personally, I would cringe if it was theory driven.
The Catholic Trials this year were 95% theory driven.. It's ridiculously tuning into a biology paper. I haven't seen the Independent Papers for trials yet, but any thoughts?

Do you think scaling this year would be lower then chemistry?

habitres

HSC
i reckon it will have projectile motion as there was absolutely none in the catholic trials :| hopefully not too theory based otherwise it means the board is trying to turn every subject into english. But yea around 75 cut off I'm guessing, just depends on how they go about it.

Extended response guess - space topic similar to the Mars one.

lemon1

HSC
I rather it not be calculation based, i've gotten lazy with all of it

kman16

HSC
what is the reasoning behind predicting that it will have lots of calculation questions?

teeah

HSC
I hope there's a lot of calculation questions! I really don't like all the theory stuff :\
There'll probably be a 6+ marker on developments in technology (but I can't remember if this is from Space or my Astro option)

Demise

HSC
My teacher who wrote part of the CSSA presumes that the HSC Physics exams consist of <10 marks for calculations, they want students to grasp the theory more than the calculations.

Honestly though, my prediction is a 74-76 b6 cut off with it being a significantly difficult exam. :/

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
hopefully not too theory based otherwise it means the board is trying to turn every subject into english.
It wouldn't be terrible. If you are useless at English then society doesn't want you to go on to become a doctor who has poor English etc.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
There will be a 6 marker asking about the implications of neutrinos travelling faster than the speed of light and how this would change the direction of scientific thinking

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
There will be a 6 marker asking about the implications of neutrinos travelling faster than the speed of light and how this would change the direction of scientific thinking
Will? Are you sure?

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
can u pls give dot points as to how you would answer, or suggest we answer

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
can u pls give dot points as to how you would answer, or suggest we answer
1. The Theory of Relativity has been upheld for almost a century and states that nothing can exceed the speed of light.
2. Neutrinos apparently violated the Theory of Relativity, potentially resulting in the Theory of Relativity to be superfluous.
3. As the Theory of Relativity is disproved, there will be a need for a new scientific model to replace the theory of relativity where no other model seems to be anywhere near as well established as the Theory of Relativity.
4. Many other parts of physics is based on Relativity and disproving the Theory of Relativity would result in the need to rebuilding of science.
5. Phenomena that existed due to relativity need to be reconsidered and if they exist, a new theory must be made to rectify the problem.
6. You can talk about the importance scientific scrutiny can scrutinize the results by criticizing the experiment's reliability, validity and accuracy.
7. You can talk about how the neutrinos exceeding the speed of light was measured by GPS systems which were used to measure the distance between the source and detector and how GPS systems are based on relativity meaning that a system based on relativity was used to challenge relativity, making the experiment invalid.

Last edited:

nirukk

HSC
Any chances of a 6 marker about the history of space travel ? ie, like scientists konstantin tsiolkovsky, hermann oberth ?

tnek95

HSC
Extended response on Einstein's theories implications towards space travel

nirukk

HSC
Extended response on Einstein's theories implications towards space travel
From the Jacaranda, Time dilation and length contraction could theoretically allow exceptionally long journeys within reasonable periods of time as judged by the travellers. However, relativity also indicates that the cot of energy to do this would be prohibitive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)