2012 Semester 2 UNSW Chatter Thread (2 Viewers)

SCAN0206

HSC
Unless you showed up like 30 minutes late I dont understand how you could think the test wasnt hard and not have time to finish..
The questions themselves were not that difficult or out of the ordinary. It was pretty much you either know it or you don't, which is why i didn't complete it.

Nothing really required a great depth of understanding, analysis or the need to connect the intricacies of multiple concepts. The only questions that had any form of analysis was Q3 which was pretty much the same question as a tutorial question with different companies.

For this reason the test itself wasn't hard. It was reasonable for the purpose it serves to test knowledge.

My definition of hard may be different to yours.

michaeljennings

HSC
What did you find difficult?
hah, i agree with you the paper shouldnt have been difficult for those who prepared well, but unfortunately I wasnt one of those people. I didnt really understand the financial ratio analysis stuff (didnt go to the lectures) so I kinda ignored it when I was studying so that section of the paper didnt go too well obviously. I also couldnt do the impairment on the machinery and overall I thought multiple choice was fairly challenging (for me anyway) but yea I was aiming for a high mark in accounting 1b but ill be happy with a credit now

SCAN0206

HSC
hah, i agree with you the paper shouldnt have been difficult for those who prepared well, but unfortunately I wasnt one of those people. I didnt really understand the financial ratio analysis stuff (didnt go to the lectures) so I kinda ignored it when I was studying so that section of the paper didnt go too well obviously. I also couldnt do the impairment on the machinery and overall I thought multiple choice was fairly challenging (for me anyway) but yea I was aiming for a high mark in accounting 1b but ill be happy with a credit now
I wasn't well prepared, crammed 1.5 days prior, but I made somewhat of an effort throughout the semester.

The ratio analysis (Q3) was the question i didn't finish for similar reasons but since it was nearly a carbon copy of a tutorial question thats my own fault for not knowing it.

I understand what you mean by the MC's since there were a couple similar answers.

Impairment I guess since you had the discern the chunk of writing.
(Calculate the Book Value at point of impairment [so it was capitalized price - 10 months worth of straight line depreciation which ended up to be the original cost], then impairment was the difference between Book value and the higher value of the fair value or value in use.)

People seem to expect high results without putting in the time/effort. But a credit is a good mark.

HSC
Uni Grad
So I guess accounting 1B wasn't too bad then.

I guess I could say the say for my accounting 1A last sem, there's so much shit I didn't know, but if I knew I would have been able to do. *sigh* Like I didn't know what ""mark up is equal to 50% of cost of goods sold"" was, in which that screwed me in an entire question :/

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
didn't need talk about ratio analysis just say how the numbers for Virgin were way better than all the other shitty chinese airlines

also it was shit how they don't mark the t accounts for the cash flow stuff

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
didn't need talk about ratio analysis just say how the numbers for Virgin were way better than all the other shitty chinese airlines

also it was shit how they don't mark the t accounts for the cash flow stuff

michaeljennings

HSC
Man i feel so sorry for Brian Chu atm, he's been receiving so much shit lately. :/
lol I dont, its not like anyone is personally attacking him or anything people are just venting because they couldnt work out half the questions. Brian should just see that as first years being naiive about actuarial exams .. Everyone is acting like they were expecting to get full marks which is unreasonable for an actl exam.

It also didnt help that there was a mistake with one question which affected around 25% of the paper so its understandable that people were upset about that because of the time wasted trying to figure out what was going on when it clearly was incorrect

Thaler

HSC
N/A
Lol level one subjects. Where all my level 3 bitches @?!

Thaler

HSC
N/A
Word of advice: People would still rather choose Monday tutorials (afternoon tutes) over Friday tutorials. They like their three day weekends.

Me, I have a four day weekend. Monday to Wednesday, then every day after that is off. There's a trade-off to make. *shrugs*
You do realise that Saturday - Monday is three days, right? So it's still a three day weekend.

halapenyo

HSC
lol I dont, its not like anyone is personally attacking him or anything people are just venting because they couldnt work out half the questions. Brian should just see that as first years being naiive about actuarial exams .. Everyone is acting like they were expecting to get full marks which is unreasonable for an actl exam.

It also didnt help that there was a mistake with one question which affected around 25% of the paper so its understandable that people were upset about that because of the time wasted trying to figure out what was going on when it clearly was incorrect
he had to make a hard exam. the midsem wasnt really indicative of how hard actl is and what it is about.

HSC
Uni Grad

he had to make a hard exam. the midsem wasnt really indicative of how hard actl is and what it is about.
I was expecting a hard exam anyway, because I knew on the top of my head that Brian is trying to avoid trying to get an exemption from the bell curve. So he HAD to make a hard exam in order to try and scale us normally.

Yeah, I noticed that there was something wrong with the exam, esp. the excel spreadsheets and Q1 b), which was actually an annuity :/

michaeljennings

HSC
yea itll be interesting to see what our overall mark will be for this subject considering we have only received 20% of our overall mark back so far..

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
You do realise that Saturday - Monday is three days, right? So it's still a three day weekend.
Yeah, oops, missed that. But people still usually choose to have their Fridays free rather than their Mondays, if they could only pick either one of them.

Thaler

HSC
N/A
Yeah, oops, missed that. But people still usually choose to have their Fridays free rather than their Mondays, if they could only pick either one of them.
[citation needed]

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
[citation needed]
Sorry, only know this from word of mouth. Citation not possible. ;(

(Also, err, I hope this isn't going to turn into a big thing. If you're a Monday person, go for Mondays. If you're a Friday person, go for Fridays. It's just that most of the people I talk to tend to like their Fridays off.)

michaeljennings

HSC
Sorry, only know this from word of mouth. Citation not possible. ;(

(Also, err, I hope this isn't going to turn into a big thing. If you're a Monday person, go for Mondays. If you're a Friday person, go for Fridays. It's just that most of the people I talk to tend to like their Fridays off.)
I'd have to agree with you, staying home/chilling with mates on a friday is a lot better than on a monday for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)