• Liberal / National Coalition

Votes: 101 50.0%
  • Australian Labor Party

Votes: 101 50.0%

• Total voters

will90211

HSC
Re: 2013 Australian Federal election

Rudd is up to is old tricks again. His spot on Sunrise, his media saturated electorate appearances. This is why I hate Rudd: he is the classic example of a Populist pollie and one who is not the 'conivction' type, say as Howard or Gillard were/are.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Rudd is up to is old tricks again. His spot on Sunrise, his media saturated electorate appearances. This is why I hate Rudd: he is the classic example of a Populist pollie and one who is not the 'conivction' type, say as Howard or Gillard were/are.
I love this troll

will90211

HSC

And that is a sentiment I hate as well^ Whenever someones raises a fair point they get accused of being a troll. It's simpletons like you who destroy the option of meaningful debate. Thankfully though Lentern and co are always on standby.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

What exactly is Gillard's conviction what exactly does she stand for that is so evident in her political practice

will90211

HSC

Love her or loathe her most of the commentators and those, such as yourself, who are politically aware i'm sure can agree that she is Iron-Lady-esq. Gillard has pushed through important reforms despite intense pressure from her own party and at times woeful MSM comment. She is determined to push through Gonski, NBN and NIDS. Now wether they come to pass is another story what matters in a conviction political is the degree to which they personally believe in their own agenda and policy goals and how they communicate that not only to their MP's but to the electorate. We will see as the election draws closer the labor narrative become clearly articulated, and practiced till it's perfect. That narrative will focus on the determination of Gillard to appeal to core labor values and pass 'labor reforms', what once might of hampered her, the greens and indie alliance will actually become an asset in the telling of this story as it highlights her determination to push through the big bills. Anyone in the press gallery will tell you that for a hung parli the govt has pushed through a large amount of bills.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Love her or loathe her most of the commentators and those, such as yourself, who are politically aware i'm sure can agree that she is Iron-Lady-esq. Gillard has pushed through important reforms despite intense pressure from her own party and at times woeful MSM comment. She is determined to push through Gonski, NBN and NIDS. Now wether they come to pass is another story what matters in a conviction political is the degree to which they personally believe in their own agenda and policy goals and how they communicate that not only to their MP's but to the electorate. We will see as the election draws closer the labor narrative become clearly articulated, and practiced till it's perfect. That narrative will focus on the determination of Gillard to appeal to core labor values and pass 'labor reforms', what once might of hampered her, the greens and indie alliance will actually become an asset in the telling of this story as it highlights her determination to push through the big bills. Anyone in the press gallery will tell you that for a hung parli the govt has pushed through a large amount of bills.
The NBN is not a policy of her making under her Prime Ministership nor the Hung Parliament. She was a minister when it was introduced, sure, but it does not have anything to do with any of her personal or political conviction. I will concede Gonski reforms because Gillard has been big on education for a long time, especially since she was the minister for that portfolio. However, the NDIS has bipartisan support, so you can just as well give credit to every sitting MP. Sure she's pushed through plenty of bills, but that doesn't imply that it's because of her personal convictions and not due to populist reasons. Gillard as performed a myriad of strange things for someone who is supposedly a conviction politician like literally lying to her constituents time and time again, implementing abhorrent social policy like locking up kids and throwing away the key (so much for caring about the needy), stating that she won't return to off-shore processing in Nauru and then returning to off-shore processing in Nauru, attempting to illegalise free speech and enshrine the right to not be offended whilst protecting religious institutions from actively practicing discrimination, being an atheist and having absolutely no personal connection to religion yet still keeping homosexual marriage illegal (and not deregulating current marriage to return to a cultural practice as opposed to a state-endorsed blessing of couples' relationships), lying about making a budget surplus "no ifs and no buts", attempting to cover up tax revenue under the guise of "privacy" (which is absolute horse shit, she doesn't care at all about this), saying that she wants to help problem gamblers by introducing poker machine reforms and then when she hits the first brick wall she drops it, plying to be a transparent government whilst condemning WikiLeaks as "illegal" with no legal basis for this.

I don't see too much conviction politics here.

will90211

HSC

The NBN is not a policy of her making under her Prime Ministership nor the Hung Parliament. She was a minister when it was introduced, sure, but it does not have anything to do with any of her personal or political conviction. I will concede Gonski reforms because Gillard has been big on education for a long time, especially since she was the minister for that portfolio. However, the NDIS has bipartisan support, so you can just as well give credit to every sitting MP. Sure she's pushed through plenty of bills, but that doesn't imply that it's because of her personal convictions and not due to populist reasons. Gillard as performed a myriad of strange things for someone who is supposedly a conviction politician like literally lying to her constituents time and time again, implementing abhorrent social policy like locking up kids and throwing away the key (so much for caring about the needy), stating that she won't return to off-shore processing in Nauru and then returning to off-shore processing in Nauru, attempting to illegalise free speech and enshrine the right to not be offended whilst protecting religious institutions from actively practicing discrimination, being an atheist and having absolutely no personal connection to religion yet still keeping homosexual marriage illegal (and not deregulating current marriage to return to a cultural practice as opposed to a state-endorsed blessing of couples' relationships), lying about making a budget surplus "no ifs and no buts", attempting to cover up tax revenue under the guise of "privacy" (which is absolute horse shit, she doesn't care at all about this), saying that she wants to help problem gamblers by introducing poker machine reforms and then when she hits the first brick wall she drops it, plying to be a transparent government whilst condemning WikiLeaks as "illegal" with no legal basis for this.

I don't see too much conviction politics here.
Agreed, the NBN is not a policy of her own creation but it is a Labor policy and she has championed it where she could of held it off. Gonsi is a signiture reform, what makes her a conviction pollie in this area is that she will cut and slash for the reform to be pushed through. A conviction leader will divert or cut what is unnecessary to them personally/ to the party in order to purse their own reforms. Gillard will do this with Gonski. Just as howard did it with WC so Gillard will do it with G. We all agree on the need for NIDS, I'm sure. However, I believe Labor remain more committed to it then the LNP. Macklin and Gillard are tough on this issue, and they will make the cuts to get this through (if they don't raise superannuation tax to 9 - 12% then NIDS won't happen - I think Labor will raise it, where the LNP as said they shall not). I'll concede points on OSP and the budget. Just because the convictions of the pollie fall does make them any less deserving of the title. Gillard, to her discredit, but bravely stuck with the Surplus line for a long, long time. And while this will be to her detriment at polling day she is a conviction pollie because she stuck through it.

I'll fix my comment... Gillard will risk incredible political upheaval (from voter land as well), to the extent that it is not fatal, to pursue her own policy agendas, in the process making decisions to cut programs, divert spending and raise the level of deficit.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad

Tony Abbott is not just a climate change denier; he is also a Global Financial Crisis denier. Abbott doesn’t' even grasp the downside risks to government revenue as a result of weak global growth. Tony Abbott's economic policy is to do nothing regarding the Australian economy in the face of the most challenging circumstances since the Great Depression.

Tony Abbott didn't even know that New Zealand is in recession, As John Hewson said Abbott has no interest in economics and has no feeling for it. He is innumerate.
Peter Costello wouldn't even embrace Tony Abbott's economic credentials.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC

Tony Abbott is not just a climate change denier; he is also a Global Financial Crisis denier. Abbott doesn’t' even grasp the downside risks to government revenue as a result of weak global growth. Tony Abbott's economic policy is to do nothing regarding the Australian economy in the face of the most challenging circumstances since the Great Depression.

Tony Abbott didn't even know that New Zealand is in recession, As John Hewson said Abbott has no interest in economics and has no feeling for it. He is innumerate.
Peter Costello wouldn't even embrace Tony Abbott's economic credentials.
i think youve gotta stop looking at the leader of the party and start to look at the party as a whole...

where is there a quote of him denying the GFC? please share

which of these policies of tony abbotts' is disregarding the economy?

also we arent "facing one of the most challenging circumstances since the great depression" that is complete crap. just look at the markets, consumer confidence etc they say a different story. If anything this is the beginning of a bull market... the economy goes through cycles and we just got out of a recession so chances are there will be an expansion in growth in the next few years.

Also NZ isnt in a recession! they had one quarter of negative growth in 4th quarter 2011 (-.3%) and thus its not a recessison. a recession requires two consecutive quarters of negative growth

you must be trollin m8

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Abbott has a degree in economics.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad

Mark Latham had First Class Honours and University Medal in Economics from the University of Sydney. He turned out to be a risk to the Australian economy as manifested by the Howard government landslide victory in 2004.

Last edited:

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad

Tony Abbott said that during the Global Financial Crisis the Liberals would have delivered budget surpluses year after year. Tony Abbott is nothing but a phoney and a fraud on the Australian people. Tony Abbott can’t even deliver credible costing of his policies as manifested by the 2010 federal election when the Liberals had an eleven billion dollar hole in the Coalition budget plan. Tony Abbott denied that a wrecking ball went through government revenue during the GFC.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC

Tony Abbott said that during the Global Financial Crisis the Liberals would have delivered budget surpluses year after year. Tony Abbott is nothing but a phoney and a fraud on the Australian people. Tony Abbott can’t even deliver credible costing of his policies as manifested by the 2010 federal election when the Liberals had an eleven billion dollar hole in the Coalition budget plan. Tony Abbott denied that a wrecking ball went through government revenue during the GFC.
evidence or GTFO

if you wanna play he said she said, then check this out:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-...-surplus-newsletters-in-question-time/4504874

pamph_thumb.jpg

TomHSC2012

HSC

Watched qt - all the Chocolate roses was funny.

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Mark Latham had First Class Honours and University Medal in Economics from the University of Sydney. He turned out to be a risk to the Australian economy as manifested by the Howard government landslide victory in 2004.
I think this might have been due to Latham being fucking crazy as opposed to his credentials

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

How's that surplus going for the government? Mining tax?

On time, as promised?

Time to ask secretariat for some new talking points to regurgitate.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

On this occasion Sathius is in the right I think. Both Abbott and Latham on paper were well qualified in economics but there erratic behaviour, eg Abbott's Mark Riley interview, feed into a perception that they aren't especially sound or reliable. The difference is though that Peter Costello was widely perceived as very capable with economics while Swan and Gillard basically trashed their own record in order to keep Kevin at bay in February last year.
That's the point I was trying to get across. Qualified (I guess) for the job on paper, but behaviourally they didn't fit the role.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
having an undergraduate major in economics means diddly squat, particularly considering the abbots and lathams of this world, and their fellow senior travelers in parliament, all received their degrees before or during the very early 1980s.

will90211

HSC
Again... If you were being accused of being insensitive to the war effort by a reporter clearly chasing a non-story then Abbott reaction is justified. Agreed though, Abbott always seems jittery and not very confident (esp when talking about the economy and not attacking it) when discussing the economy. Still, compared to Swan Abbott could be the ugliest, in-factual pollie alive and still do better than him. I'd like to remind you of the craziness that was Emerson 'singing' to Whyalla wipe out. A Minister in a government should of not degraded his office so.

Lets talk about Rudd.... Is he on the move or is it a media beat up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)