Votes: 101 50.0%
  • Australian Labor Party

Votes: 101 50.0%

• Total voters

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Not entirely sure it has , changed from when I was sixteen perhaps.

Your last sentence is kind of why I think he could possibly stay on. I imagine he'll willingly step down and if he gets walloped he definitely will but if he gets in excess of say 68 seats there will be an argument to be made in his favour. More to the point the mass exodus of ministers particularly from the old factional guard means the alternatives are not abundant. In a different set of circumstances Smith, Roxon and Combet might otherwise have been plausible alternatives but they're all gone now. Assuming Bowen and Albanese genuinely support Rudd rather than joined him in a marriage of convenience it's really heavily reliant I think on the mindsets of Burke and Shorten. And if they both decide they don't want it at that point in time, who else is there? Pibersek? Beattie? Swan?
Conventional wisdom would suggest that Shorten will eventually be leader, but yeah I think he's too clever to take it right away. I could see a dark horse like say Butler being a night watchman OL. I would also not be suprised (assuming he wins) if Beattie harbored leadership ambitions

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Overseas resettlement is preferable to overseas indefinite detention. At any rate that goes to policy, it was about the internal dynamics of the Labor party which I was suggesting you should by now be less trustful of your intuition.
You can't be serious.

Lentern

HSC
Conventional wisdom would suggest that Shorten will eventually be leader, but yeah I think he's too clever to take it right away. I could see a dark horse like say Butler being a night watchman OL. I would also not be suprised (assuming he wins) if Beattie harbored leadership ambitions
Shorten has the public image but the word is after he supported Rudd the AWU and SDA are furious with Bill and now see Burke as "their man."

Tasteless

HSC
They can come straight here after ~2 years in PNG anyway can't they?

It's just a temp fix to reduce numbers for a time so they can say "luk wot we acheevd, rnt we da top shiet"

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
In what way?
You used to believe in a humanitarian approach to asylum seekers and refugees, but since ol mate Kevvo decided to lock them up on Manus (rape) island, you no longer consider this a problem? I thought you were against the Labor position lurching to the right on this issue? Would you not consider this policy as a shift to the right?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You used to believe in a humanitarian approach to asylum seekers and refugees, but since ol mate Kevvo decided to lock them up on Manus (rape) island, you no longer consider this a problem? I thought you were against the Labor position lurching to the right on this issue? Would you not consider this policy as a shift to the right?
He and Townie are both Labor hacks, regardless of what Labors policies are and whether they are any good.

Lentern

HSC
I still don't agree with the policy, I'd much prefer something akin to what Palmer's promising but if it's a choice between indefinite detention in Nauru or resettlement in PNG I much prefer resettlement.

Lentern

HSC
He and Townie are both Labor hacks, regardless of what Labors policies are and whether they are any good.
I voted for the independents in last years local elections, O'farrell in 2011 and Green in 2010. Such a labor hack. I can honestly say I've never voted Labor in my life.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Shorten has the public image but the word is after he supported Rudd the AWU and SDA are furious with Bill and now see Burke as "their man."
I really like Burke but I don't know, he seems a bit soft for leadership

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Burke is more of a bench guy than a leader. He could fill the role temporarily like Brendan Nelson did I suppose.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
You gotta vote 1.Labor 2. Greens and Liberals last if you want a better way to move Australia forward:
1. Stop the Liberals ten per cent increase in the Goods and Services Tax.
2. A Stronger Economy.
3. Stop the Liberals toxic cuts to the bone in areas such as health, education and the public service.
4. Return the budget to surplus in 2016.
5. Stop the boats with proven policies.
6. Create two million new jobs.

Garygaz

HSC
you literally kill discussion in every thread you start posting your shill bullshit

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Solo how dumb can you get. John Howard told the Australian people that "the GST is dead it was killed by the people in the last election". The Liberals are lying scum bags who are rotten to the core. The Liberals introduced the GST in the 1998 federal election and the majority of the voting people voted against it. Howard won the majority of the seats that is why he clung to government. My message to Liberal voters is kick the Liberal Members of Parliament out of their seats. The Liberals are toxic Tony Abbott stands for higher taxes and toxic cuts to health, education and the public service.

Last edited:

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Solo is a complete idiot and she wants to bring back the White Australia policy.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Both Newspoll and Lonergan are showing that Rudd will lose his seat. Terrible marginal seat polling in Tasmania and QLD out today. They are going backwards in the national Nielsen poll. All indications are that the negative scare campaign has failed to resonate. Unfortunately for Labor thats pretty much all they had left.

Labor has now abandoned their strategy of trying to pick up seats from the LNP in Queensland and has switched to sandbagging seats they already hold. As qld was pretty much the only realistic prospect of picking up the seats they need to win, Labor have essentially conceded defeat.

http://www.afr.com/p/national/alp_abandons_rudd_charm_offensive_mywt2iJMh78PZzoRe2R8pL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)