2014 HSC English Predictions? (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Anyone else thinking maybe this:

'In engaging with the text, a responder may experience and understand the possibilities presented by a sense of belonging to, or exclusion from the text and the world it represents. This engagement may be influenced by the different ways perspectives are given voice in or are absent from a text.'

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC

'In engaging with the text, a responder may experience and understand the possibilities presented by a sense of belonging to, or exclusion from the text and the world it represents. This engagement may be influenced by the different ways perspectives are given voice in or are absent from a text.'
+1

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
I reckon they'd specify that as part of the question, e.g. "In your analysis, consider the ways possibilities are presented by a sense of belonging to or exclusion from the text."

mreditor16

HSC

can someone explain this?

Hi there444

HSC

Too difficult.

emilios

HSC
Look at the rubric, all the past years questions have come right from there. This is the only bit of the rubric that hasnt been assessed yet, so highly likely they will draw on it
Lol we mean what is that point even saying. If I got that in an exam id have to spend like 10 minutes deconstructing it

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Look at the rubric, all the past years questions have come right from there. This is the only bit of the rubric that hasnt been assessed yet, so highly likely they will draw on it
Yeah what does that question even mean? Please help :(

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
I think it may be something to do with this. 'Possibilities' - think about how certain texts subvert basic assumptions of belonging. For example, Emily Dickinson's poetry uses literary techniques to go against the notion that one must conform to human conventions to belong. As for 'belonging to or exclusion from the text', the language and structure of her poetry is enigmatic, and hence excludes the reader from truly understanding the full extent of her message, paralleling to her sense of belonging etc.. Not sure how this would work for other prescribed texts, I don't know what they're like.

I'm probably wrong though.

I personally think it's too hard. It would be an absolute fucker of a question.

HSC
haha really? I think its a pretty good question, challenging but woulddo/10

I interpret it as how composers manipulate language (i.e. language techniques etc) to represent notions of belonging and not belonging which we as readers can appreciate and instil in our real lives.
I interpret it as how the composers deepen our understanding of belonging through different experiences and factors which influence an individual's sense of belonging.
Inb4completelywrong.

Agreed emilio! I would do bad in an exam if this was the question or something similar.
but I think it's fair to say that the questions are worded in an easy way for anyone to comprehend rather than what we just read

So they'll probably form a question using the key words from that part of the rubric

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I think it may be something to do with this. 'Possibilities' - think about how certain texts subvert basic assumptions of belonging. For example, Emily Dickinson's poetry uses literary techniques to go against the notion that one must conform to human conventions to belong. As for 'belonging to or exclusion from the text', the language and structure of her poetry is enigmatic, and hence excludes the reader from truly understanding the full extent of her message, paralleling to her sense of belonging etc.. Not sure how this would work for other prescribed texts, I don't know what they're like.

I'm probably wrong though.

I personally think it's too hard. It would be an absolute fucker of a question.
I wouldn't be surprised if they asked that, BOS hates everyone.
anyways, good luck:)

HSC
No thats not wrong, its your personal interpretation.

But I agree with what you're saying– they have to make it easily understandable. So they'll probably draw the key words from there as you said, but formulate a question which is much more comprehensible within the 5 minutes reading time.

Are you accelerating English too? :D
Interpretations can be wrong :p

emilios

HSC
This is my poorly worded attempt at predicting the q:

"Different perspectives may or not be given a voice in texts.

To what extent has the presence, or absence, of a voice shaped your own perception of belonging?

In your response make reference to blah blab (One or more related)"

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
This is my poorly worded attempt at predicting the q:

"Different perspectives may or not be given a voice in texts.

To what extent has the presence, or absence, of a voice shaped your own perception of belonging?

In your response make reference to blah blab (One or more related)"
Today I realise that my band 1 naplan English results were not a joke....

I actually am struggling to understand all of these. Can someone pretty please explain in simple English? I'll rep you and will be thankful always :)))

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Shoot me a PM will give discounts for my essays and creative

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)