2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchalolz

HSC
Anyone got suggestions for a Business to do a case study on that is directly related to operations processes? I know there's a thread on this and I've read it, but just wondering if anyone here has got any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Coca-Cola Amatil at the moment.
others could include woolworths, qantas, apple, etc. although they are overdone

teridax

HSC
N/A
how the hell do you guys remember the shitload of content in hsc economics?

conorrr

HSC
Thanks for the reply and advice, I appreciate it :)
I really enjoy doing both history's, however I'm a bit worried about the workload if I decide to take on both in the HSC, also, General Maths IS my worst performing subject at the moment, but I am not doing too badly, it's just my lowest ranked one.

teridax

HSC
N/A
trust me humanities is rote
Not sure about business, ancient, geography and the rest, but legal and modern does require rote since they're my humanities.

Definitely not eco though - if you rote the subject completely, you'll die lol.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, eco isn't all rote

but i may have to resort to memorising shit
This

Eco requires some understanding of concepts and such....

The case study will will require rote learning, and same with the news figures on the state of the economy

tutorDK

HSC
N/A
Good luck 2015ers! You can do it :) Feel free to PM if you need any advice in Ancient History, Drama, English Advanced, English Extension 1, History Extension or Legal Studies.

teridax

HSC
N/A
i read stuff, understand then i remember it, don't actually do much it comes pretty naturally
that's it? wow, you're lucky. but HOW do you understand the stuff - cause whenever i read the textbook/other resources and watch online videos, nothing clicks with me :/

may as well memorise

matchalolz

HSC
that's it? wow, you're lucky. but HOW do you understand the stuff - cause whenever i read the textbook/other resources and watch online videos, nothing clicks with me :/

may as well memorise
tbh all my teacher ever does is make us read out aloud from the textbook. I always learn stuff after school by myself using other resources and I'm motivated coz i find the subject genuinely interesting :) I don't find the concepts particularly hard to grasp. I guess everyone has different strengths/weaknesses. e.g. when i watch movies/read books i find it extremely difficult to follow the story (maybe short attention span?)

if memorising works for you then do it. ppl at my school memorise their eco essays and can get high marks. I just personally wouldn't bother

Examine

same
HSC
Just gonna chime in because finance sucks

Yeah i was kinda confused with the rote learning vs understanding thing for a while as well because i am in a similar situation with matcha where if i read stuff then i would generally understand/remember the stuff i was reading. Like what's stopping me from just remembering the process on how to derive simpson's formula/whatnot etc etc. Anyway I think the main difference is that with rote learning, you kinda just accept what you have read as true, without knowing why it is true (this is why in subjects like business studies/legal studies they have stuff like case studies and contemporary issues, so that people could kinda understand why/how a concept holds in irl situations).

Obviously maths would probably be the most understanding intensive subject, because if you don't understand why those concepts hold true then you're gonna get wrecked (well, for mx2 at least). Also for English sure you can go in with a memorised essay and hope for the best, but by understanding why a technique affects the audience in a certain (idk i forgot how to english so that probs isnt a good example) then you are able to better adapt to the question or just spout out a fresh answer which will probs make a pre-prepared essay with no adapting look like a potato

I guess you can even apply this to HSIE subjects like business. Like although short answers probs won't test your understanding too much (you could even say section 4 because you can basically memorise which concepts are effective in achieving business success), I'd say some multiple choice questions which give scenarios and section 3 require understanding. So yeah because i rote learned everything when i did business i kinda got steamrolled in section 3 (i think it was 13/20 or so) and in some multiple choice questions.

Probs a semi decent example of this is this forum saying that Maths in Focus is trash. An example of memorising would be just thinking MiF is shit because other people say so. Understanding would be knowing why MiF is shit and why it's questions/examples/whatever aren't as effective as Cambridge's ones.

well im done with this 5-10 min contemplation fuck finance ugh exams suck ugh

tl;dr try not to just accept that a concept is true and see why it holds true/works/how it's applied (textbooks already do a decent job in providing you and understanding that you can just memorise in the hsc anyway so lol) and hsc is great reach for the stars etc swag

Last edited:

QZP

HSC
Anyone doing 3U/4U/PHYS/CHEM? Where is your school up to in terms of teaching the course? Thanks in advance! I'm helping teach some friends of mine and I just want to gauge where the rest of the state is at :) Also I know that 3U has a less rigorous teaching structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)