2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightthefuze

HSC
Namaste,

Last term of high school ever starts tomorrow for some of us, idk how to feel about this.

Also, tips on how to stay happy AND calm during these next few weeks before and after Trials?

Good luck to all! ✌

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Ekman

HSC
Namaste,

Last term of high school ever starts tomorrow for some of us, idk how to feel about this.

Also, tips on how to stay happy AND calm during these next few weeks before and after Trials?

Good luck to all! ✌

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
A similar feeling hit me as well when I finished all the learning for all my subjects (barring extension 2 math), because all that is left is practice exams and trials. Like everything is done now, all that is left is exams.

Ekman

HSC
Good luck to everyone who has their trials on Tuesday!

studded

HSC
It'll definitely be a weird night, knowing that we'll be waking up to another school term for the last time. The start of every term has come back in a mental sequence. :cold:

Fiction

HSC
Just a query.

How does one satisfy what the markers want for the english trials? because for my school, each essay won't be double marked and as such, bigger discrepancies will emerge with results. Yeah, I know many will argue that english is just as equally objective to maths and science (which is bullshit), but there is some slight bias in each teacher as we're human.
LOL
You don't then. If you believe that there's a slight bias in each teacher as we're all human, then going by that logic you'll never know how to write your essay to cater to the marker's demand. A teacher might be opps, having a spark of individuality while marking your essay. Because, you know, English is just so subjective and that teacher is so professional.

teridax

HSC
N/A
LOL
You don't then. If you believe that there's a slight bias in each teacher as we're all human, then going by that logic you'll never know how to write your essay to cater to the marker's demand. A teacher might be opps, having a spark of individuality while marking your essay. Because, you know, English is just so subjective and that teacher is so professional.
Right. Though I can guess marking criteria comes into play in some respect.

So are you then suggesting that English is equally objective to say, maths?

Fiction

HSC
Right. Though I can guess marking criteria comes into play in some respect.

So are you then suggesting that English is equally objective to say, maths?
No, those two subjects are marked in completely different ways. Maths is about reaching a solution - English is reaching a conclusion. Although both employ logic, English requires control over language, which Maths, to say the least, doesn't. (And if it does, only to the bare minimum). English does have a certain flexibility that maths doesn't - BUT that isn't to say it deserves the undisputed, subjective label it's been championed so often.
If your argument isn't following in a logical progression, then it's pretty obvious you stuffed up. Like what Pomsky has said before, you can easily distinguish a shitty essay from a top band response.

teridax

HSC
N/A
No, those two subjects are marked in completely different ways. Maths is about reaching a solution - English is reaching a conclusion. Although both employ logic, English requires control over language, which Maths, to say the least, doesn't. (And if it does, only to the bare minimum). English does have a certain flexibility that maths doesn't - BUT that isn't to say it deserves the undisputed, subjective label it's been championed so often.
If your argument isn't following in a logical progression, then it's pretty obvious you stuffed up. Like what Pomsky has said before, you can easily distinguish a shitty essay from a top band response.
I've been reading top band responses and I guess you do have a point. :/

So, I get it, structure is key to doing well. But what about originality/flair? What does that entail? Do you really need this to stand out or is it better to just know how to write a good essay.

Not sure if my questions made sense rofl

teridax

HSC
N/A
I've been reading top band responses and I guess you do have a point. :/

So, I get it, structure is key to doing well. But what about originality/flair? What does that entail? Do you really need this to stand out or is it better to just know how to write a good essay.

Not sure if my questions made sense rofl
That being said Fiction, are you acknowledging that english is slightly less objective than maths? Because you didn't directly answer my question, but maybe you're moreso implying it.

Ekman

HSC
ooft idk how u'll write dat much in 40 mins but glhf
Well my generics only contain analysis of all concepts from the module, so I am not going to exactly write all of it for HSC, since HSC questions are very specific. That's why I didn't only just write generics but also other paragraphs to cater for the specific nature of questions.

teridax

HSC
N/A
What?!?!?!?!? I have trouble writing that much words for the whole 3 essays in paper 2 lol
better get writing then :p

Well my generics only contain analysis of all concepts from the module, so I am not going to exactly write all of it for HSC, since HSC questions are very specific. That's why I didn't only write generics but also other paragraphs to cater for the specific nature of questions.
ehhhhh sort of. the discovery Q will be defs broad coz we're obvs the first year to do it, mod A and C questions are still doable. but yeh, mod B imo is where you have extra shit

it's not like you won't be able to use your generics at all; you just need to mould it the key words subtly in your response so it appears to the marker that the essay is not rote learnt

idk, i just prepare one essay for each module (sometimes i don't consider backup analysis LOL) around the core paradigms of the rubric

EDIT: holy fk 15 guests viewing this thread

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC
ehhhhh sort of. the discovery Q will be defs broad coz we're obvs the first year to do it, mod A and C questions are still doable. but yeh, mod B imo is where you have extra shit

it's not like you won't be able to use your generics at all; you just need to mould it the key words subtly in your response so it appears to the marker that the essay is not rote learnt

idk, i just prepare one essay for each module (sometimes i don't consider backup analysis LOL) around the core paradigms of the rubric
I guess it depends on what texts you have per module, because for mod A, John Donne and W;t has some specific questions regarding death and love. So having backup is necessary for mod A for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)