• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
This policy only applies if you get the required atar. Ie. If you get 99.30 ATAR and Dux your school you will not get into Law at USYD.

Where do you come up with these absurd stats? The average atar at Ruse is 97.00.
I've been told it was 99.1
Mebbe wrong though lol

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I will only believe this legitimately exists when I have it open on my computer lol.
I can't imagine the amount of power you would need to process something on that scale.
It only generates the stuff nearby, things further away are rendered with minimal animation and upscale as you travel towards it.
The converse holds true.
However, even at that level, the physics calculations would be quite intense, given that the creators chose to make it as realistic as feasible.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
It only generates the stuff nearby, things further away are rendered with minimal animation and upscale as you travel towards it.
The converse holds true.
However, even at that level, the physics calculations would be quite intense, given that the creators chose to make it as realistic as feasible.
Ah true, but even at that level, "Every particle in the universe is accounted for. The precise shape and position of every blade of grass on every planet has been calculated. Every snowflake and every raindrop has been numbered" implies something pretty powerful

I feel like this would get old quick lol. There doesn't seem much to do except just explore and interact with animals?
I don't know if anyone has read it by it reminds me of the simulation from Koji Suzuki's Loop (He wrote the Ring)

leehuan

HSC
What makes gravity so inferior compared to the other three fundamental forces?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
What makes gravity so inferior compared to the other three fundamental forces?
It's just much weaker than the other three lol, but the others are so restricted that it makes it seem that gravity is awesome (which it is, but mostly on a large scale)

leehuan

HSC
Wouldn't say its inferior since it can act over much greater distances.
It's just much weaker than the other three lol, but the others are so restricted that it makes it seem that gravity is awesome (which it is, but mostly on a large scale)
True according to Universal Gravitation, I should've just used weaker then.

The fact that we understand it the least out of all four fundamentals doesn't help.
Actually now that you mention it I think I have heard about it before; our understanding being lesser about gravity. But whilst it's all about general relativity I wonder if gravitational waves can be used to our benefit?

Also, do you guys reckon there's a 5th fundamental force?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
True according to Universal Gravitation, I should've just used weaker then.

Actually now that you mention it I think I have heard about it before; our understanding being lesser about gravity. But whilst it's all about general relativity I wonder if gravitational waves can be used to our benefit?

But whilst it's all about general relativity I wonder if gravitational waves can be used to our benefit?
Not sure what we could do with the ability to stretch space and time.

well. if our lack of understanding of the very earliest parts of the universe is correct, then the four fundamental forces were non-distinct and unified. A superforce, if you will.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
But whilst it's all about general relativity I wonder if gravitational waves can be used to our benefit?
Not sure what we could do with the ability to stretch space and time.

well. if our lack of understanding of the very earliest parts of the universe is correct, then the four fundamental forces were non-distinct and unified. A superforce, if you will.
Lol gravitational waves (at least not within the next 20-50 years) are not gonna help us stretch space-time lol
We already knew they existed in theory, and we had some evidence for it (not as concrete as LIGO though)
How they will benefit us, is in 'seeing' the universe. They can act sort of like a one way sonar and give us an idea of whats in the universe, for example the merging of binary black holes that produced the wave we collected. benefit is that gravitational waves can travel much farther and are much less impeded

we didnt even know for sure that binary black holes were even a thing before we detected the wave (still not that sure tbh)

they can also help us understand gravity though, and like who knows where that could lead

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Lol gravitational waves (at least not within the next 20-50 years) are not gonna help us stretch space-time lol
We already knew they existed in theory, and we had some evidence for it (not as concrete as LIGO though)
How they will benefit us, is in 'seeing' the universe. They can act sort of like a one way sonar and give us an idea of whats in the universe, for example the merging of binary black holes that produced the wave we collected. benefit is that gravitational waves can travel much farther and are much less impeded

we didnt even know for sure that binary black holes were even a thing before we detected the wave (still not that sure tbh)

they can also help us understand gravity though, and like who knows where that could lead
Time flows slower in places with very strong gravitational attraction according to Einstein's theory of general relativity. Theres a lot of things slowing time down can achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)