• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Ok, I'm gna seriously start doing trial papers for maths
theoretically, if i can do like 3ish a week + more in holidays
ill be able to finish all the ones i wanted to well before my trials

lelelelel wish me luck

Shuuya

HSC

lelelelel wish me luck
All the best! I kind of wanted to start early too but I'm nowhere near that level yet

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

lelelelel wish me luck
Good luck!

Bestintheworld

HSC
Can someone please explain why going to a lower ranked school impacts your atar? I am confused about how all this works..

Last edited:

Shuuya

HSC
Can someone please explain why going to a lower ranked school impacts your atar?
I think it's because going to a lower ranked school means that there is a larger range of marks, so you run the risk of getting quite lower marks if you aren't right at the top.

Bestintheworld

HSC
I think it's because going to a lower ranked school means that there is a larger range of marks, so you run the risk of getting quite lower marks if you aren't right at the top.
What if you do really well in the externals but your ranks aren't top?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Can someone please explain why going to a lower ranked school impacts your atar? I am confused about how all this works..
I think its because your internal tests may be really easy since you go to a lower ranked school

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
What if you do really well in the externals but your ranks aren't top?
Your assessment mark is very likely to be lower than your exam mark, and you'll end up with a lower HSC mark compared to your exam mark.

I had a friend who was internally ranked towards the bottom of the 4U maths cohort.

He got 83 for his exam mark but his assessment mark was 70 - thus, he ended up with a 77 HSC mark. Even though this was at a top 40 school, it shows that your internal rank can really affect you.

The extent of the "drag" depends on your internal rank, the relative gaps between you and those in your cohort and your cohorts' performance in the external exams.

Flop21

HSC
That's just a very drastic simplification.

What happens is, you get external and internal mark (both average to give you a final HSC mark). To work out your internal mark, they grab your internal RANK (X), then they see how your class did in the external test, go down the list from highest mark to lowest, find the person who came rank (X) then grab their mark and give it to YOU as your INTERNAL mark.

So you can see how if you do not come first, and your class performs badly you are at risk of grabbing a poor mark and having that as your internal. Good school's have good classes (who mostly do well) hence you have a backup in place if you yourself perform badly (your internal mark might save you).

Or you just get first in both internal and external and end up with the same internal and external mark.

Bestintheworld

HSC
Your assessment mark is very likely to be lower than your exam mark, and you'll end up with a lower HSC mark compared to your exam mark.

I had a friend who was internally ranked towards the bottom of the 4U maths cohort.

He got 83 for his exam mark but his assessment mark was 70 - thus, he ended up with a 77 HSC mark. Even though this was at a top 40 school, it shows that your internal rank can really affect you.

The extent of the "drag" depends on your internal rank, the relative gaps between you and those in your cohort and your cohorts' performance in the external exams.
That's just a very drastic simplification.

What happens is, you get external and internal mark (both average to give you a final HSC mark). To work out your internal mark, they grab your internal RANK (X), then they see how your class did in the external test, go down the list from highest mark to lowest, find the person who came rank (X) then grab their mark and give it to YOU as your INTERNAL mark.

So you can see how if you do not come first, and your class performs badly you are at risk of grabbing a poor mark and having that as your internal. Good school's have good classes (who mostly do well) hence you have a backup in place if you yourself perform badly (your internal mark might save you).

Or you just get first in both internal and external and end up with the same internal and external mark.
Ok thanks. That makes a lot of sense now.

Shuuya

HSC
yes lol and I already have a gut feeling that I am screwed unless I can magically turn it around and get rank 1 in all subjects :p
I think you have great ranks though, so you can definitely do it :p

Kolmias

HSC
Isn't it made this way for equity though?
I don't see how. It seems to favour average students at selective schools who have to do nothing to get 90 ATAR.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Shuuya

HSC
I don't see how. It seems to favour average students at selective schools who have to do nothing to get 90 ATAR.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Being at a selective school doesn't mean that you have to do nothing lol --- if you do nothing then you'll be ranked last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)