• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
Go back to educational practices in the early 19th century when we were given opportunities to learn life skills and lessons.
Did that actually enter the little kids' brains?

Or was it cane forced

Honestly, I think we could endeavor to go a little faster in primary school and in junior high as well, like honestly all I remember learning in primary school was like basic arithmetic, idek what i spent the rest of the 8 years doing (in Canada they have 2 years of kindergarten)
I vaguely remember what I learnt in primary, as in topics. But not the specifics lol

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Actually, you know what might be good
What if we compress what would be Yr7-10 subjects down to yr 7-8
Then yr9-10 we do what is now hsc subjects
and then yr11-12 we do ib level subjects

that would be much more interesting lol

but probably not practical for the state at large

leehuan

HSC
Actually, you know what might be good
What if we compress what would be Yr7-10 subjects down to yr 7-8
Then yr9-10 we do what is now hsc subjects
and then yr11-12 we do ib level subjects

that would be much more interesting lol

but probably not practical for the state at large
I don't believe the generations are getting smarter. I believe in the opposite.

So, lol.

Bestintheworld

HSC
That's actually when the system helps you the most lol

Say you work really hard through the year and you end up first in say Physics.
Now you go into the exam and you have a bit of a meltdown, and end up with a 82 Exam mark
Now the dude who was second, and was pretty close to you the whole year (and is one of the few 'good' people) does his exam and gets a solid 91 and gets the highest exam mark in the cohort

What will happen is your internal mark will be 91 and your external mark will be 82
Averaging them out, your final HSC mark will be 87, which is much better than your former 82 exam mark

That being said, if the other good people also do bad, then you are screwed lol

Although think of it this way, if you can't get first there must be someone better or at roughly the same level as you who is first, so you have a little bit of protection in that regard
Thats the issue, I mean if there's like only 1 good student and rest are poor as you would kinda expect from like a 500 ranked school.

Well everyone gets their own exam/external mark, so you get your crap external mark. Then you get the person who came first's (assuming you ranked first internally) mark as your internal. And if that's crap, then you get that crap mark as well.

Stay in the top 3 if you're not at a good school. That's usually a safe range, and they'll always try their best. I went to a school rank 500+ and got your ATAR goal and wasn't first in every subject.
Cool that gives me a bit of hope lol

But if the system wasn't as it is then schools could give super easy exams and everyone could get 100%. Since internal ranks are more important than marks, everyone is on a level field in terms of exam difficulty, as the mark comes from the HSC.
It can be different and changed for better. For example if they make a system where all the internal exams need to have a certain range for certain topics and all the schools are required to do so, the exams would be fair for all schools and we can't just assume that lower ranked schools have easier exams.

How is your scenario likely without some calamity e.g. family member suddenly deceased impacting?

(And always note that things do get considered if they are THAT impacting)
Why not? it can have many variables i.e poor exam technique such as mind blank during the exam or sudden sickness even. There could be lots of other things.

Anyways I better get back to studies lol you know to get those rank 1 in internals

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Thats the issue, I mean if there's like only 1 good student and rest are poor as you would kinda expect from like a 500 ranked school.

It can be different and changed for better. For example if they make a system where all the internal exams need to have a certain range for certain topics and all the schools are required to do so, the exams would be fair for all schools and we can't just assume that lower ranked schools have easier exams.

Why not? it can have many variables i.e poor exam technique such as mind blank during the exam or sudden sickness even. There could be lots of other things.

Anyways I better get back to studies lol you know to get those rank 1 in internals
Lol if your the only good student, you better be first then - that way, everything lies upon your own performance

leehuan

HSC

If the trials didn't prepare you enough for the HSC and come HSC time your exam technique crumbles or you have a mind blank etc. that is your own fault. Why did you not learn from the trials?

If you handled the trials well and then this happened in the HSC then that is again your own fault for not preparing well enough. You don't ever mind blank if you know exactly what you're talking about. And since hypothetical person in question came 1st or 2nd with actual good marks, I'd imagine so.

If you had a sudden sickness then you should be calling the supervisor to come to your aid. And if it's an actual sickness powerful enough to impair your brainpower then your case will be considered and you don't get impacted regardless after filling out illness/misadventure after the exam.

I'm sorta interested in a full list of things now.

Bestintheworld

HSC
Lol if your the only good student, you better be first then - that way, everything lies upon your own performance
Yes you are right but that means I wouldn't have insurance like others going to a highly ranked school where you would expect a lot of top performing students and incase they do terrible in externals, there's others who will still do well.

I think there should be a system where all schools are required to have certain range of exams for the internals so that exams across all schools are similar which means the internals are similar. That way those top kids who go to a low ranked school screw up on the external, they still have equal chance of getting as good marks and there shouldn't be the whole rankings and school rankings. Getting someone's mark because you did bad in the external just doesn't make any sense to me lol

leehuan

HSC
It is a good thing, that if you consistently stay above everyone basically throughout the entire year even into the HSC, your school rank becomes irrelevant

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Yes you are right but that means I wouldn't have insurance like others going to a highly ranked school where you would expect a lot of top performing students and incase they do terrible in externals, there's others who will still do well.

I think there should be a system where all schools are required to have certain range of exams for the internals so that exams across all schools are similar which means the internals are similar. That way those top kids who go to a low ranked school screw up on the external, they still have equal chance of getting as good marks and there shouldn't be the whole rankings and school rankings. Getting someone's mark because you did bad in the external just doesn't make any sense to me lol
As in, for each internal assessment, have like a mini-HSC?
That would be an organisational nightmare lol

leehuan

HSC

If in a selective school, say someone came first and got basically 99 but then in the externals they decided to bludge and get a 31, what's their final mark?

Only a mere 65.

And you don't have to necessarily try; you just want a good ATAR to get into a good degree don't you.

On the other note, that depends on your teacher's quality way more.

Bestintheworld

HSC
If in a selective school, say someone came first and got basically 99 but then in the externals they decided to bludge and get a 31, what's their final mark?

Only a mere 65.

And you don't have to necessarily try; you just want a good ATAR to get into a good degree don't you.

On the other note, that depends on your teacher's quality way more.
But why would someone who gets 99 working hard all year bludge in the HSC exam lol

leehuan

HSC
But why would someone who gets 99 working hard all year bludge in the HSC exam lol
You're kinda implying that when you say don't do well?

The one thing to note is that just cause you mess up the externals, doesn't mean your external mark will be bumped back up without a misadventure appeal. Only your internal does. So you still get hard hit regardless.

Bestintheworld

HSC
As in, for each internal assessment, have like a mini-HSC?
That would be an organisational nightmare lol
Not really. There could be a guideline for teachers to include certain types of questions in the exam.

You're kinda implying that when you say don't do well?

The one thing to note is that just cause you mess up the externals, doesn't mean your external mark will be bumped back up without a misadventure appeal. Only your internal does. So you still get hard hit regardless.
There could be other reasons to not do well, bludging I think is a lot different from it. I think bludging refers to doing something by choice unlike not doing well, it can be due to other reasons.

leehuan

HSC
Not really. There could be a guideline for teachers to include certain types of questions in the exam.

There could be other reasons to not do well, bludging I think is a lot different from it. I think bludging refers to doing something by choice unlike not doing well, it can be due to other reasons.
It does, but otherwise like I said, if the other reason was a serious impacting case then fill out a misadventure appeal.

A ton of other reasons are your own fault.

Bestintheworld

HSC
It does, but otherwise like I said, if the other reason was a serious impacting case then fill out a misadventure appeal.

A ton of other reasons are your own fault.
Can you fill a misadventure appeal for something like sudden sickness? Something like being sick couple of hours before exam.

leehuan

HSC
Can you fill a misadventure appeal for something like sudden sickness? Something like being sick couple of hours before exam.
Well if you were throwing up everywhere or developed a legitimate migraine sure why not? The supervisor will send you to the principal or whoever you should be sent to

Obviously if you developed a cough that's not gonna matter, just wear a mouth mask and take two bottles of water in.

I think one of my friends got inhospitalised and evaded the two English exams last year

Bestintheworld

HSC
hmm sure whatever it is. I feel like there have been many cases where people have been unlucky in the externals due to reasons they can't appeal for. That is bound to happen which means they are disadvantaged in the exam leading into a significant impact on their results because they are the only good kid in the school while for higher ranked schools, in the same scenario, students would have advantage.

leehuan

HSC
If that student is good, this is rare.

Can't say that bad luck never happens. But if it does, it's probably just one exam. Thats why people talk about backup units.

If something happened twice for one student, then I find it hard to believe and I'd imagine something's up

Bestintheworld

HSC
If that student is good, this is rare.

Can't say that bad luck never happens. But if it does, it's probably just one exam. Thats why people talk about backup units.

If something happened twice for one student, then I find it hard to believe and I'd imagine something's up
lol it can definitely happen more than once and bad luck doesn't make sense interms of studies lol everyone should have a fair go :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)