2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
I've got a question

How can physics be used to explain that the notes in music repeat themselves? i.e. C D E F G A B C again?

turntaker

HSC
I've got a question

How can physics be used to explain that the notes in music repeat themselves? i.e. C D E F G A B C again?
My guess is if C is frequency X . then the C following would have frequency 2X.

Also Higher frequency = higher pitch.

leehuan

HSC
My guess is if C is frequency X . then the C following would have frequency 2X.

Also Higher frequency = higher pitch.
If the next C is really just double the frequency then yeah I agree that makes sense. And of course higher frequency = higher pitch is something I understand.

Seems reasonable enough tbh, but doesn't fully explain how our ears perceive it then (from the more biological perspective that is). But if someone finds an article verifying this I'll believe it

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I've got a question

Um. The modern western twelve tone scale was constructed to be that way. The reason there are twelve is because of the proximity of 2k/12 to a nice rational number, although it is arbitrary as there are other scales that work well.

So this isn't really a physics question as it is a historical music (and mathematics) question.

leehuan

HSC
Um. The modern western twelve tone scale was constructed to be that way. The reason there are twelve is because of the proximity of 2k/12 to a nice rational number, although it is arbitrary as there are other scales that work well.

So this isn't really a physics question as it is a historical music (and mathematics) question.
C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A Bb B if we're to be properly precise about it

Regardless, the scale wouldn't be constructed that way if the notes did not sound so identical. What is this 2k/12 stuff about then and does it relate to the frequency of the relevant wave in any way whatsoever

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A Bb B if we're to be properly precise about it

Regardless, the scale wouldn't be constructed that way if the notes did not sound so identical. What is this 2k/12 stuff about then and does it relate to the frequency of the relevant wave in any way whatsoever
1. They wanted the next set to have double frequency, but the ratio to remain the same between consecutive intervals.
2. 2k/12 where k is a modular residue of 12 is close to a rational number with relatively small denominator, and rational numbers with relatively small denominator sound harmonious.

You do piano, but not music theory?

leehuan

HSC
1. They wanted the next set to have double frequency, but the ratio to remain the same between consecutive intervals.
2. 2k/12 where k is a modular residue of 12 is close to a rational number with relatively small denominator, and rational numbers with relatively small denominator sound harmonious.

You do piano, but not music theory?
No, because I'm not up to that yet

At this point I'm fully focused on the instrument.

StudiousStudent

HSC
Haha I'm that good. The worst score I've received this semester has been 13 out of 15% and I've missed that much school it's not even funny..

Been gallivanting around Sydney and Melbourne and my hometown. ATAR goal is still possible :p

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Haha I'm that good. The worst score I've received this semester has been 13 out of 15% and I've missed that much school it's not even funny..

Been gallivanting around Sydney and Melbourne and my hometown. ATAR goal is still possible :p
what rank is your school again?

Shuuya

HSC
Does anyone else struggle with projectile motion? When I'm doing textbook exercises I'm fine, but when I try actual exam questions I feel a part of myself dying .-.

leehuan

HSC
Does anyone else struggle with projectile motion? When I'm doing textbook exercises I'm fine, but when I try actual exam questions I feel a part of myself dying .-.
What textbook are you using again

Besides projectile motion is one of those topics in 3U that they can do whatever they want to in the exam with them.

leehuan

HSC
Cambridge
Then just keep doing past papers. Whilst solid, Cambridge was inevitably going to be limiting on its diversity of projectile motion questions.

Who do you think writes exams lol. Academics that really know their shit and can twist with the minds of students.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)