2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Hey out of curiosity, do you guys have "academic advantage" rules at your school, that is you can't miss school the day before an internal assessment otherwise you will get zero on it (because they assume you would just prepare all day before)?

HoldingOn

HSC
Hey out of curiosity, do you guys have "academic advantage" rules at your school, that is you can't miss school the day before an internal assessment otherwise you will get zero on it (because they assume you would just prepare all day before)?
For us it’s one week.

Lilabear

HSC
Hey guys, need some advice here
So i haven't started my history extension major work AT ALL, but since half-yearlies is only 3 weeks away, should i just leave my his ex until exams are over, and then fully focus on it, especially during the holidays? Or is this a dangerous move? Can't drop it btw, 10th unit :/

Danneo

HSC
Did absolutely trash in 2U exam, could've gotten 1 extra mark, but my result was so trash, i couldnt face the teacher. Is this loss of 1 mark a bad decision? Got 60% for 2U test TT, tho i aced my 3U exam, but its ONLY 1 UNIT, god dammit

Lumenoria

HSC
So i haven't started my history extension major work AT ALL, but since half-yearlies is only 3 weeks away, should i just leave my his ex until exams are over, and then fully focus on it, especially during the holidays? Or is this a dangerous move? Can't drop it btw, 10th unit :/
I think you just need to make a start, now. Doesn't matter if it's the tiniest progress ever, just do it. Then you'll atleast have something to keep chipping away at in your free time later down the track, because you're probably NOT going to studying 24/7 for your other subjects. Seriously, if you keep delaying it, you'll regret it. I'm about 25% through my major work, and I started at the beginning of Year 12 (in term 4). It's more work than you probably think it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumenoria

HSC
Did absolutely trash in 2U exam, could've gotten 1 extra mark, but my result was so trash, i couldnt face the teacher. Is this loss of 1 mark a bad decision? Got 60% for 2U test TT, tho i aced my 3U exam, but its ONLY 1 UNIT, god dammit
Well I mean if you earned it, it can't really hurt to ask. I completely understand how you feel though but in the end, would you rather take the risk or lose the chance? And what's the worst that can happen - rationally?

Lumenoria

HSC
Yup, 1 day for us

Frostguard

HSC
wow I've never heard of this :eek:
All I know is that the deputies are cracking down on students who come late to school on the day the assessment is due lol
But tbh no one in my school is that bothered enough to come late because apparently lateness and incorrect uniform are the cardinal sins of school imao

Frostguard

HSC
Dang I really suggest you at least make an attempt now because it's hard to find motivation to search for sources and historiography during the holidays. If you start now, you'll get into a sort of 'educational mindset' where because you have constant homework and tasks to do, Hist Ext will just be another piece of homework to do. Starting in the holidays means you'll be trying to wrap your head around what it is you want to focus on and you also won't be able to contact or access your teacher as easily. I mean I'm still writing my synopsis and I legit cannot find anything on my topic (changing historical interpretations of marie antoinette's role in the French Revolution) and I'm doing it bit by bit so I understand the process and not get overwhelmed.
Also my progress log is due next week time to bs it LMAO

Lilabear

HSC
Dang I really suggest you at least make an attempt now because it's hard to find motivation to search for sources and historiography during the holidays. If you start now, you'll get into a sort of 'educational mindset' where because you have constant homework and tasks to do, Hist Ext will just be another piece of homework to do. Starting in the holidays means you'll be trying to wrap your head around what it is you want to focus on and you also won't be able to contact or access your teacher as easily. I mean I'm still writing my synopsis and I legit cannot find anything on my topic (changing historical interpretations of marie antoinette's role in the French Revolution) and I'm doing it bit by bit so I understand the process and not get overwhelmed.
Also my progress log is due next week time to bs it LMAO

Thanks Frostguard! You always have great insight :) How are you approaching your essay? I'm not sure if i should write my notes on the What is History, The Historians first (slacking since i don't have exams until trials) or start on my major work.

brbstudying

HSC
Hi!

I suggest spending 20 - 35 minutes of your day working on your major work. Maybe 2 days a week. Don't estimate by how much you get done, but by the time taken to get whatever it is (can be little or a lot) done. That way, you're managing your time to adequately prepare for the half-yearlies too. Then I think you should use your holidays work on your major to FULL EXTENT.

Also, how are your half-yearlies so close? We still have 5/6 weeks...

Lilabear

HSC
Hi!

I suggest spending 20 - 35 minutes of your day working on your major work. Maybe 2 days a week. Don't estimate by how much you get done, but by the time taken to get whatever it is (can be little or a lot) done. That way, you're managing your time to adequately prepare for the half-yearlies too. Then I think you should use your holidays work on your major to FULL EXTENT.

Also, how are your half-yearlies so close? We still have 5/6 weeks...
Thanks for the advice! Will definetly take that on board. Our half yearlies are during week 8 and 9 :(

Frostguard

HSC
Thanks Frostguard! You always have great insight :) How are you approaching your essay? I'm not sure if i should write my notes on the What is History, The Historians first (slacking since i don't have exams until trials) or start on my major work.
Honestly I'm approaching my essay with ????? because I tried to make my focus question more historiographical like but then ended up confusing myself because there's less information on the historians related to my topic. I was thinking of making it a sort of discussion where I chuck in 3 or 4 historians from different time periods and thus answering the question of changing historical interpretations over time and then add in my evaluation at the end of each historian. But yeah tbh it's hard to find sources when it's all restricted by the academic libraries and stuff and I have to pay for it ugh

Start on your major work now now, then do What is History so you're able to wrap your head around what exactly is historiography and the schools of histories and all the contemporary issues such as academic vs popular history, selective history, film history, oral or written history, that sort of stuff. Once you understand the basic ideas of historiography, chuck in the relevant historians for the issue eg using Herodotus (for oral history) and using Venerable Bede (the father of ecclesiastical or religious history) for like idk academic vs popular history or something idk lol. But basically try to get all three done at a steady pace, or you'll fall behind since this subject is in depth lol

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone else kinda feeling burnt out?
I feel like I've started this term at a pace that I can't hold onto, and I don't know if I'll make it to Half Yearlies in week 9 (Week 5 atm).

ShootingDuck

HSC
I feel like I've started this term at a pace that I can't hold onto, and I don't know if I'll make it to Half Yearlies in week 9 (Week 5 atm).
Even though your half yearlies are pretty close, I do recommend taking a somewhat of an extended break (It's up to you how long, I'd say 4 days depending on how burnt out you are). Sure it gives you overall less time to study but its the quality of your study that matters rather than time spent. Taking an extended break would definitely help you regain focus/motivation.

Speaking from personal experience I had to take a two week break this time last year (due to injuring my hand) and it made me panic that I wouldn't have enough time to study and practise for half yearlies. But as long you're not behind on your studies (which doesn't seem like thats the case), 4 weeks is heaps of time; no need to go all out right now.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
At the moment no, but I bet that this time next term I will be
I think the only reason I haven't burnt out yet is bc I haven't been very productive the past couple of weeks OTL
Take a break if you're feeling burnt out - better to recharge than to completely burn out for the rest of the term

jjuunnee

HSC
Maybe either take a break for a few days, reduce the amount of time you spend studying each night (eg. from 4 hours to 2) or alternate between study and breaks (one day study, one day break)

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Like others have said, definitely cut back study time to a smaller amount so you have more down time. I don't think this will impact on grades too much, as I feel like when you go past more than, i dont know, 3 hours of school work after school on weekdays, the benefits of studying more start to become less noticeable (as opposed from jumping from 1hr a day to 2hrs a day for example. of course benefits still come from studying more but they become less and less the more you do if that makes sense, and they also come at the cost of compromising personal and social wellbeing more and more).

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the responses guys, they were really helpful. I've essentially tried to target the more stressful parts of my study (E.g. English) so I can minimise my stress. Tomorrow I have 2 free periods as well, so I can catch up there and not worry too much :D

Frostguard

HSC
imao at first i was like ' 13 units is totally easy i can handle it it can't be that bad'
*wakes up on a saturday morning and only gets economics done the entire day and panics the next day*
lol crap
But like the others saying, I think the moment we feel ourselves burning out and becoming exhausted, we should just take a step back, drop everything, take a walk, take a nap, literally anything that clears your mind and hopefully all that yucky negativity goes away and we'll be right on track for our ATAR goals and school goals!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)