2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

brbstudying

HSC
My timetable's okay. I guess it could've been worse, considering that I had three consecutive exams one day after the other in the mid-yearlies.

24/08 - EE2 major work
10/09 - Music 2 composition
10 - 22/09 - Music 2 performance

18/10 - English Adv AOS
19/10 - English Adv Module A, Music 2 aural paper
23/10 - Ancient History
29/10 - Modern History
31/10 - English Extension 1

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
My timetable's okay. I guess it could've been worse, considering that I had three consecutive exams one day after the other in the mid-yearlies.

24/08 - EE2 major work
10/09 - Music 2 composition
10 - 22/09 - Music 2 performance

18/10 - English Adv AOS
19/10 - English Adv Module A, Music 2 aural paper
23/10 - Ancient History
29/10 - Modern History
31/10 - English Extension 1
Music 2 Composition is proving to be a pain for me... Portfolio due this Friday for internal marking :(

brbstudying

HSC
Music 2 Composition is proving to be a pain for me... Portfolio due this Friday for internal marking :(
That's the worst! Is it the composition itself, or making the portfolio?

Mine's due 2 weeks from now, so I should consider myself blessed compared to yours due this Friday, but I have to do a Viva that goes along with it. :/

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
That's the worst! Is it the composition itself, or making the portfolio?

Mine's due 2 weeks from now, so I should consider myself blessed compared to yours due this Friday, but I have to do a Viva that goes along with it. :/
Viva here too! We also have to analyse 2 pieces (in-depth) that have influenced us as a compulsory part of the 'portfolio' XD Can't believe the amount of elements to it...

I've been working hard at getting heaps of diary entries together, so it's not too bad (hopefully my teacher's happy with it), but I've made so many ideas that just DO NOT WORK with the style.

I've realised that I just have to stick with rhythmic stuff and put in a whole bunch of modern expressive techniques - finish it off with an abstract title of a 'deep' concept. Pitch is proving too hard to get right within the topic constraints (for me at least).

Do you have an ensemble/ideas you're working on?

Also would be interested to know what pieces your teacher chose to analyse for the 'Last 25 Years' topic...

All the best with your portfolio :)

brbstudying

HSC
Viva here too! We also have to analyse 2 pieces (in-depth) that have influenced us as a compulsory part of the 'portfolio' XD Can't believe the amount of elements to it...

I've been working hard at getting heaps of diary entries together, so it's not too bad (hopefully my teacher's happy with it), but I've made so many ideas that just DO NOT WORK with the style.

I've realised that I just have to stick with rhythmic stuff and put in a whole bunch of modern expressive techniques - finish it off with an abstract title of a 'deep' concept. Pitch is proving too hard to get right within the topic constraints (for me at least).

Do you have an ensemble/ideas you're working on?

Also would be interested to know what pieces your teacher chose to analyse for the 'Last 25 Years' topic...

All the best with your portfolio :)
Wow, that sounds like a lot. We have a Viva on how we manipulated the concepts of music used in our composition. o_O

That sounds so good, and I'm sure you'll do great!

Yeah, the hardest part is trying to centre your melody/theme on one idea when you have so many - I struggle with that too. What style are you doing? I've been told that because it's "Australian art music", we are technically "Australian" composers, so we pretty much compose whatever we like and it will be classified as an Australian style by default.

Rhythm is being a pain for me as well. Because I was told to start composing without a formal structure - just focus on the melody, my time signatures are pretty much confused and all over the place XD - unless you mean rhythmic as in percussion?

Wdym topic constraints?

Ugh I haven't even thought about the title yet.

I have my draft down, it's just a matter of rearranging notes/rests so that the beats make sense within a proper time signature. Or even maybe changing the time signature to match the notes.

Nah, we're so disorganised, we've only analysed 2 pieces XD

Thanks! Good luck with yours :D

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Wow, that sounds like a lot. We have a Viva on how we manipulated the concepts of music used in our composition. o_O

That sounds so good, and I'm sure you'll do great!

Yeah, the hardest part is trying to centre your melody/theme on one idea when you have so many - I struggle with that too. What style are you doing? I've been told that because it's "Australian art music", we are technically "Australian" composers, so we pretty much compose whatever we like and it will be classified as an Australian style by default.

Rhythm is being a pain for me as well. Because I was told to start composing without a formal structure - just focus on the melody, my time signatures are pretty much confused and all over the place XD - unless you mean rhythmic as in percussion?

Wdym topic constraints?

Ugh I haven't even thought about the title yet.

I have my draft down, it's just a matter of rearranging notes/rests so that the beats make sense within a proper time signature. Or even maybe changing the time signature to match the notes.

Nah, we're so disorganised, we've only analysed 2 pieces XD

Thanks! Good luck with yours :D
Haha I think in theory my progress sounds better than it actually is XD

I don't really understand the 'style' thing (I've heard some other people say it too) and I'm really just combining a bunch of 'Last 25 Years' expressive techniques and hoping it fits the marking criteria.

Oh no! It's good that you do have a draft now though, refining is definitely better than coming up with new stuff (Imo).

Like as in constraints of 'the Last 25 years'. Kind of what would stop it from sounding like it's more classical from 18th century. Not sure if that makes sense, sorry.

Oh haha, I'm sure that's ok though. You only need 1-2 in the exam Q4 anyways. Which pieces are they? We did some 'Compassion' (Nigel Westlake), 'Russian Rag' (Kats-Chernin), and some Hindson (Pulse Magnet, Always on Time). A few others that I can't remember as well.

Do you have to analyse the elective topic pieces as well?

brbstudying

HSC
Haha I think in theory my progress sounds better than it actually is XD

I don't really understand the 'style' thing (I've heard some other people say it too) and I'm really just combining a bunch of 'Last 25 Years' expressive techniques and hoping it fits the marking criteria.

Oh no! It's good that you do have a draft now though, refining is definitely better than coming up with new stuff (Imo).

Like as in constraints of 'the Last 25 years'. Kind of what would stop it from sounding like it's more classical from 18th century. Not sure if that makes sense, sorry.

Oh haha, I'm sure that's ok though. You only need 1-2 in the exam Q4 anyways. Which pieces are they? We did some 'Compassion' (Nigel Westlake), 'Russian Rag' (Kats-Chernin), and some Hindson (Pulse Magnet, Always on Time). A few others that I can't remember as well.

Do you have to analyse the elective topic pieces as well?
Nah, I'm sure you'll do great.

Yeah, it's slightly less stressful. xD

True, I get what you mean.

We're doing Compassion by Nigel Westlake, too! As well as Eliza's Aria by Kats-Chernin, which is a really nice one. I think we're doing another Nigel Westlake, although I'm not entirely sure.

I think so, my teacher wants us to analyse it for Q4 in the exam, but we don't need to do it for the Viva composition.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
When are the trials for you guys?

We got ours in 6 weeks. This term is 9 weeks (About to start we 7) and then we have 3 weeks of holidays.
Kinda scary that we are so close, and I still have 4 assessments this term D:

Frostguard

HSC
When are the trials for you guys?

We got ours in 6 weeks. This term is 9 weeks (About to start we 7) and then we have 3 weeks of holidays.
Kinda scary that we are so close, and I still have 4 assessments this term D:
Mine's next term during Weeks 3-4!! The only thing I'm excited about is the timetable and if I get a double I swear to god I'm gonna start swinging especially since most of my subjects are 30-40% ai yaaaaaaaaaaaa but yeah yr 12 content is nearing the end and most of my subjects are finishing the 2nd last module if not already starting the final module of year 12. Everything's so fast ;( We gotta spend our last 3-4 months having fun while we can!! :spzz:

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Mine's next term during Weeks 3-4!! The only thing I'm excited about is the timetable and if I get a double I swear to god I'm gonna start swinging especially since most of my subjects are 30-40% ai yaaaaaaaaaaaa but yeah yr 12 content is nearing the end and most of my subjects are finishing the 2nd last module if not already starting the final module of year 12. Everything's so fast ;( We gotta spend our last 3-4 months having fun while we can!! :spzz:
Ahah yeah mine are all 30-35% as well D: Gotta try have fun indeed but at the same time we gotta grind out the last couple weeks.

This is a bit of a scare for you guys too xD - https://www.hsccountdown.com.au/

HSC
Uni Grad
Where do you get music 2 trials from, I swear they're such a rare resource.

Also, when do the BoS maths trials on this year, are they still doing them even though carrots has retired? I've heard they're after trials so like 2 months from now? Gotta get my shit together real fast so I can crack a 70% on his 4u

entartung

HSC
Hello! So i'm last minute writing an essay for tomorrow's WO essay. We've been given the question: "Evaluate the effectiveness of international institutions including courts and tribunals in maintaining world order."

My teacher vaguely suggested that we discuss 2 institutions/courts/tribunals or maybe 3 but that it might be a tight squeeze. I'm a bit confused since for family law we had 4 body paragraphs each with its own sub topic, and it seems like most legal studies essays have around 4 bodies? It's too late to ask him now though :/

I'm thinking of using UNSC (it's an int. institute right?), ICJ, ICC and ICTY. I will probably have overlapping arguments, since for many of them it's an issue of state sovereignty. Is that okay?

Last question, is it absolutely necessary to discuss recent cases or can i use older ones too?
Thanks!

PikyoK

HSC
Hello Everyone
Long time no see.
I have a question

You know you have one day where NESA reveals your individual mark for each subject then your ATAR is revealed the next day, for the individual marks, are they made up of your HSC exam mark and your school assesments?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hello Everyone
Long time no see.
I have a question

You know you have one day where NESA reveals your individual mark for each subject then your ATAR is revealed the next day, for the individual marks, are they made up of your HSC exam mark and your school assesments?
NESA gives you an 'assessment mark' and a 'hsc mark' (2 different marks).
The assessment mark is all the internal stuff weighted out and adjusted with the rank scaling system thing.
HSC mark is just the HSC exam adjusted with the rank scaling mark thing again.
Then they average the two marks to get your overall mark.

PikyoK

HSC
NESA gives you an 'assessment mark' and a 'hsc mark' (2 different marks).
The assessment mark is all the internal stuff weighted out and adjusted with the rank scaling system thing.
HSC mark is just the HSC exam adjusted with the rank scaling mark thing again.
Then they average the two marks to get your overall mark.
Thank you.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Has anyone been to the USYD Lectures for the HSC? Are they worth the price?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)