2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
My principal handed out a booklet from NESA and it was the rules and procedure for the 2018 HSC!!! This makes me even more excited for next year ! :biggrin: :jump: :caffeine:
Have you read it cover to cover ;)

Frostguard

HSC
My principal handed out a booklet from NESA and it was the rules and procedure for the 2018 HSC!!! This makes me even more excited for next year ! :biggrin: :jump: :caffeine:
I got it today as well and internally screamed

silverdawn565

HSC
So I just sat an HSC exam with a 14-year-old sitting it at the same time? Smart kid. How did he get so interested in maths so young?

That's a bit farfetched! How can a year 8 or 9 kid do the HSC :blink2: :spzz:
How can a year 8/9 kid complete an online Uni course with full marks? It's pretty cool though. Like he learns something in 14 years that took us 17/18 years meaning he has 4 more years of his life not having to study in high school. He'll probably get into Uni at the age of 15/16...

PikyoK

HSC
I had the excursion for Visual Arts yesterday. I went to the Sculpture By The Sea exhibition in Bondi. It was an amazing walk with lots of wonderful landscapes and meticulous sculptures that gave me lots of inspiration for VA. :biggrin: :spzz: :D

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I've got a year 9 in my accel. maths class. And we're both 15.

I think acceleration is becoming a lot more common...
Acceleration seems to be less common in the humanity type subjects.

Possible bias? Or does it take the brain a "longer" time to develop skills required to achieve in humanity type subjects?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC

Possible bias? Or does it take the brain a "longer" time to develop skills required to achieve in humanity type subjects?
Yeah, that's true. Maybe because humanities are more about life and what people experience? You can't really rush that.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I've got a year 9 in my accel. maths class. And we're both 15.

I think acceleration is becoming a lot more common...
Yeah it should be more common it's such a good idea. Relieve the stress load off year 12 and if you isolate 1-2 subjects a year or two earlier you can focus on those and do heaps of study for them, in turn bettering results than if you had those subjects with 4 or 5 others.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah I think with humanities it requires some level of mature thinking that many may not develop until Yr11 and 12. Also I think relating content to life experiences helps too, which younger years might not be able to do.
I'm surprised there aren't any accelerated kids doing Visual Arts. There are some extremely talented people even in primary school who could perform to a high standard if given the opportunity.

Frostguard

HSC
Yeah I think with humanities it requires some level of mature thinking that many may not develop until Yr11 and 12. Also I think relating content to life experiences helps too, which younger years might not be able to do.
I'm surprised there aren't any accelerated kids doing Visual Arts. There are some extremely talented people even in primary school who could perform to a high standard if given the opportunity.
Even then, whilst some kids have gifted creativity and skills in painting and drawing and all that, can they cope with the theoretical part of the course? Especially the major works, they'll probably be able to make something of excellence but where they explain it and how it relates to the assessment is where they might fall short, same with the humanity subjects, essay-writing can't necessarily be taught as well as the mathematical and sciency subjects where those subjects only require constant repetition after they've understood the content. You know now that I realise it, but I've never seen an accelerated humanity student?

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Even then, whilst some kids have gifted creativity and skills in painting and drawing and all that, can they cope with the theoretical part of the course? Especially the major works, they'll probably be able to make something of excellence but where they explain it and how it relates to the assessment is where they might fall short, same with the humanity subjects, essay-writing can't necessarily be taught as well as the mathematical and sciency subjects where those subjects only require constant repetition after they've understood the content. You know now that I realise it, but I've never seen an accelerated humanity student?
Good point, I forgot about the essay writing component haha
Yeah I haven't heard of one either. Still pretty amazing though to see 12 year olds excelling in MX2

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
How's everyone tracking ~3 weeks into the first term?

Anyone sticking to new study habits and plans for yr 12? :jump:

PikyoK

HSC
How's everyone tracking ~3 weeks into the first term?

Anyone sticking to new study habits and plans for yr 12? :jump:
I am doing alright. It isn't as stressful as I thought so far.

Before the start of Year 12, I developed a study plan. On weekdays, after I complete my 1-hour homework, I study for about 2 hours and then I spend another 2 hours on assignments. On the weekend, I do both study and assignments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)