2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

sickb

HSC
Hopefully, because that's how much time I have left. :p

I'm sure we can do it. :D
but that's so good though because you'll have plenty of time to relax before studying for the hsc!!

on the other hand, i just finished paper 1 today and im feeling so dead but i have to memorise 3 essays for paper 2 tomorrow :(
i know right but its the beginning of the end so there is hope at the end of the tunnel so we can all be thankful of that
btw dont wanna tell you how to study but try not to memorise essays just memorise techniques, quotes and analysis thats how i did it and it doesn't give you any preconceptions of what the question could be

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Believe it or not memorising a whole essay is far easier
Haha I was originally going to but got scared off from people saying it's better to memorise quotes
But yeah, after memorising about 30 out of 55 quotes, I think I'm just gonna go back to remembering essays/paragraphs

entartung

HSC
Haha I was originally going to but got scared off from people saying it's better to memorise quotes
But yeah, after memorising about 30 out of 55 quotes, I think I'm just gonna go back to remembering essays/paragraphs
I have 3 essays o memorise for paper 2 tomorrow. Do you recommend just quotes + analysis or whole essays?

brbstudying

HSC
I have 3 essays o memorise for paper 2 tomorrow. Do you recommend just quotes + analysis or whole essays?
How much have you prepared? If you haven't done any preparation, then just memorise quotes and analysis, because tbh you'll most likely blank out during the exam if you try to cram all three full essays in one night.

entartung

HSC
How much have you prepared? If you haven't done any preparation, then just memorise quotes and analysis, because tbh you'll most likely blank out during the exam if you try to cram all three full essays in one night.
I've written mod a and mod c (however none of it is memorised at all)

No mod b essay at all :(

Also for bod b, i actually really don't get the module. Mod a is comparing context, mod c is representations, but what's mod b??? What are we focusing on?

Also, my friend said that the "how audiences how receive them over time" is part of old syllabus, is she right?

Thanks!!!

jjuunnee

HSC

Also for bod b, i actually really don't get the module. Mod a is comparing context, mod c is representations, but what's mod b??? What are we focusing on?

Also, my friend said that the "how audiences how receive them over time" is part of old syllabus, is she right?

Thanks!!!
mod b is a critical study, which means that you just kinda analyse your text, but keep in mind that there may be different types of analysis depending on your personal reading

never heard of the "how audiences receive them over time" thing but i guess that's related to the transcendence of the text, which sometimes appear in hsc questions???

sickb

HSC
I have pretty small i wrote about 4 pages for each essay. A lot of people didn't finish in both standard and advanced, luckily i was able to finish

brbstudying

HSC

Thanks!!!
Module B is critical perspectives. I wouldn't recommend memorising an essay for Module B, because they can honestly ask you on anything, like a specific character or scene in the play, so it's safer to know the play back-to-front, whereas in Module A and C (and AOS), the questions are usually broader.

Okay so I honestly haven't looked at the syllabus since forever (I should probably do that before Monday haha), but I think she may be right because so far my teacher's told us nothing on audience reception.

Did you have the exam today? How did you go??

entartung

HSC
Module B is critical perspectives. I wouldn't recommend memorising an essay for Module B, because they can honestly ask you on anything, like a specific character or scene in the play, so it's safer to know the play back-to-front, whereas in Module A and C (and AOS), the questions are usually broader.

Okay so I honestly haven't looked at the syllabus since forever (I should probably do that before Monday haha), but I think she may be right because so far my teacher's told us nothing on audience reception.

Did you have the exam today? How did you go??
Ehhh it was okay. mod A and C were fine, but i only wrote 5 pages for mod B :/

I ended up just memorising quotes and techniques so i'm not sure how good my on the spot analysis was

Have to memorise my EX1 creative and essay now, also in one night. sigh.

Also, do you reckon i should solidly memorise 1 piece, and then memorise the next? Or alternate, so 1 para from essay, then 1 para from creative etc.

Just worried i'll somehow forget the first piece after i finish memorising the 2nd, but if i memorise then interchangeably, i might get confused? welp

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, do you reckon i should solidly memorise 1 piece, and then memorise the next? Or alternate, so 1 para from essay, then 1 para from creative etc.

Just worried i'll somehow forget the first piece after i finish memorising the 2nd, but if i memorise then interchangeably, i might get confused? welp
Highly recommend remembering each as a whole, it will become way too confusing doing it paragraph by paragraph. If you're worried about forgetting the first piece then just go back to it and keep alternating between the two.

entartung

HSC
Highly recommend remembering each as a whole, it will become way too confusing doing it paragraph by paragraph. If you're worried about forgetting the first piece then just go back to it and keep alternating between the two.
Thanks! Also, i have 8 hours to memorise a 1.5k essay and 1.2k creative. Possible to do it word for word? Or should i just be realistic and do essay by quotes/techniques + analysis and creative just vaguely?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Thanks! Also, i have 8 hours to memorise a 1.5k essay and 1.2k creative. Possible to do it word for word? Or should i just be realistic and do essay by quotes/techniques + analysis and creative just vaguely?
If you're not given the questions beforehand, I definitely would recommend remembering quotes and analysis and the characters from your creative (to adapt them to the stimulus setting). And then any excess time (that you might spend unnecessarily memorising words), have a go at a practise essay. Also, not sure if this is just me, but 1.2k for a creative seems a bit excessive? Also the 1.5k words for essays might be a bit much. Remember to be as concise as possible. If it's all just heaps of analysis, then that's ok, but you should be able to get top band with 1000 words (and maybe even a bit less for creative).

entartung

HSC
If you're not given the questions beforehand, I definitely would recommend remembering quotes and analysis and the characters from your creative (to adapt them to the stimulus setting). And then any excess time (that you might spend unnecessarily memorising words), have a go at a practise essay. Also, not sure if this is just me, but 1.2k for a creative seems a bit excessive? Also the 1.5k words for essays might be a bit much. Remember to be as concise as possible. If it's all just heaps of analysis, then that's ok, but you should be able to get top band with 1000 words (and maybe even a bit less for creative).
This is for extension english, 1.5k and 1.2k would definitely be too much for adv. Thanks for the tip!

brbstudying

HSC
Ehhh it was okay. mod A and C were fine, but i only wrote 5 pages for mod B :/

I ended up just memorising quotes and techniques so i'm not sure how good my on the spot analysis was

Have to memorise my EX1 creative and essay now, also in one night. sigh.

Five pages is good! (at least that's what my teacher told me) Also pages aren't really a good indication of actual length because of different sized handwriting. (you may have written small, and only got 5 pages, but have had the same amount of words as someone who wrote big and got 10 pages, etc)

Yeah I'm probably just gonna end up memorising quotes and techniques for Module B and C.

Don't worry, for midterms, I left memorising my Extension 1 creative and essay like a day before the exam. However, I didn't even get much done because procrastination crept up on me at home, so I remember trying to memorise the essay in the school library an hour before the exam xD (by this stage, it was too late to memorise both essay + creative). I kept getting distracted by friends though lol, so I only had the introduction down-pat and vague bits of my body paragraphs. In the exam, I improvised a creative and wrote the essay introduction perfectly, but had to go off a ~vague~ general idea of my arguments for the rest of the essay. I ended up getting 23/25 for both the creative and essay, which surprised me a lot.

I'm alternating because if I get stuck on one piece of writing for too long, I get bored and start procrastinating. So idk, maybe try alternating? I find it's also better for compartmentalising your perceptions of each essay so you don't get confused. Everyone's different, though, so if you find that memorising each whole piece first, then do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)