2022 CSSA MATH EXT 2 Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Flise

HSC
Couldn't solve 16aii) and Q16b)

Q16a)

Q16b) Consider the concavity of y=(x)^1/3
Prove (a-b)^1/3 + (a+b)^1/3 < 2(a)^1/3

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Lith_30

o_o
HSC
Uni Grad
for question 16) a) use IBP

let

let

hence the integral can be written as

then by continually using IBP to the integral

you get that

multiply top and bottom by p!

as required

notme123

HSC
Couldn't solve 16aii) and Q16b)

Q16a)

Q16b) Consider the concavity of y=(x)^1/3
Prove (a-b)^1/3 + (a+b)^1/3 < 2(a)^1/3

Any ideas?
16 b: Prove

Looking at the graph we can deduce
and

for all x in the positive reals, meaning it is concave down always for .
Using a concave down function and letting for all positive real a, you want to show graphically that the y-coordinate of the midpoint between the points is less than the y-coordinate of , or , which you multiply by 2 on both sides to arrive at the statement to be proved.

Also, 16a is basically identical to one of the questions in my tutorial sheet for uni and is categorized as a hard one as well. CSSA did the same thing last year with polynomials and proving factor theorem.

Last edited:

Flise

HSC
16ci) There was a part one which was to find v in terms of t given resistance is kv^2, mass of skydiver is 'm', and take up as positive (weirdly)
Basically integrating a = 1/m (kv^2 - mg), note: assume at rest when t=0

They give you the required result:

Part two gives you values and wants you to find the time when the skydiver is 1500m from the ground
Dropped from an altitude of 5000m, mass = 100kg, k=0.25, g=10

I integrated the equation to get x in terms of t but was stuck thereafter.

Last edited:

d1zzyohs

HSC
Couldn't get out 16 a) and b); besides that everything was fine...
That's okay I guess. 16 c) for my school was replaced since we haven't finished mechanics.
Definitely was way harder than last years - last year's question 16 was an absolute snore.

Flise

HSC
Also what did yall get for the distance travelled for Q15b) the fricken vector-helix question combined with mechanics. My unwise brain saw it was 1 mark and I just did the velocity (4m/s) times 10 (since they wanted after 10s)! Surely it wasn't that simple...

d1zzyohs

HSC
Also what did yall get for the distance travelled for Q15b) the fricken vector-helix question combined with mechanics. My unwise brain saw it was 1 mark and I just did the velocity (4m/s) times 10 (since they wanted after 10s)! Surely it wasn't that simple...
I too got that. It was just length; not distance; and it was also a 1 marker, so yeah, it was that simple. Was probably trying to catch out some people trying to over-complicate it. That question was fun.

I really enjoyed the Question 14; reduction formulae question. Was a satisfying result.
How were you supposed to do the first Complex Numbers question of Question 15? I don't know if I did it right.

notme123

HSC
16ci) There was a part one which was to find v in terms of t given resistance is kv^2, mass of skydiver is 'm', and take up as positive (weirdly)
Basically integrating a = 1/m (kv^2 - mg), note: assume at rest when t=0

They give you the required result:

Part two gives you values and wants you to find the time when the skydiver is 1500m from the ground
Dropped from an altitude of 5000m, mass = 10kg, k=0.25, g=10

I integrated the equation to get x in terms of t but was stuck thereafter.
subbing in the given values you get

Integrating from t=0 ->T

I feel like somethings wrong

jklol

HSC
I too got that. It was just length; not distance; and it was also a 1 marker, so yeah, it was that simple. Was probably trying to catch out some people trying to over-complicate it. That question was fun.

I really enjoyed the Question 14; reduction formulae question. Was a satisfying result.
How were you supposed to do the first Complex Numbers question of Question 15? I don't know if I did it right.
It was a relationship between the roots of i.e you factorise it and get and then you let them equal 0 and luckily each of the roots have corresponding conjugates and hence adding each of the roots the imaginary parts go away and you just get left with the

Last edited:

Flise

HSC

I'm so pissed I screwed up my conversion of -1 into exponential form.
I wrote z^9 = cis(kpi) instead of z^9 = cis(pi + 2kpi) I'm so dumbbb. All you then do is sum of roots, one of the roots comes out as ±1/2 and just make note of -cos5pi/9 = cos4pi/9 and -cos7pi/9 = cos2pi

Flise

HSC
It was a relationship between the roots of i.e you factorise it and get and then you let them equal 0 and luckily each of the roots have corresponding conjugates and hence adding each of the roots the imaginary parts go away and you just get left with the
Btw the question was z^9+1 = 0

Flise

HSC

I'm so pissed as well for this question I literally did a variation of it three nights ago sinx + sin2x + ... + sinnx but literally mindblanked for part ii)
I got part i) luckily it was just a geometric progression, but I couldn't simplify the result...

I divided each term by e^itheta/2 when I was suppose to do that only for the bottom, while the top required me factoring e^i(ntheta) which I couldn't see in the exam!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)