• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2024 HSC Chat (9 Viewers)

appleali

HSC
does anyone have tips on how to get good at short answers? i can recognise techniques and stuff fine but i struggle to find links to the human experience without just repeating myself over and over again
any help would be appreciated

ihatehsc24

HSC
does anyone have tips on how to get good at short answers? i can recognise techniques and stuff fine but i struggle to find links to the human experience without just repeating myself over and over again
any help would be appreciated
I have the exact same problem^

lyingsalsa

HSC
short answer is very straightforward in marking, if you have a technique, evidence and link to your particular take on the question, thats a mark and add that to your brief intro for another mark. the human experience is often in the question so you dont have to make an external mention but a particular take on the question that you will base ur answer off of. hope this makes sense

HSC
You literally just have to read the text and make any connection to how it relates to human experience. Get the vibe of what the text is trying to put out (whether its a longing for the past (nostalgia) or like how does this text capture an intense moment) Write a thesis: "Source A" powerfully conveys the nature of ... through ...." and then go straight into evidence. Normally try do 1 quote + 1 technique per mark to be safe. And for the longer markers where they ask you to talk about 2 sources structure it as a mini essay. The shorties are basically just yarning and if you can find enough quotes and techniques and make a semi convincing argument you'll get the marks

hscccc

HSC
lol someone else just asked this and I gave some advice in a thread on here
honestly i make stuff up tbh, i use some insight ive studied or read about already - youve got to be flexible in that way and practice a lot. In the cssa trial for the humour q i said some dribble abt the stupid kid hiding his true self and that was ironic = humour, basically just stole ideas from my lfr essay. another one i went on about existentialism and nihilism, stole stuff from my ext essay lol

genenian

HSC
i usually do 1 less technique than the mark required. for ex. a 4 mark question ii would find 3 techniques and clearly identify the human experience and its impact on the individual/community, using it to cohesively develop an argument that progresses towards the end of the response, contributing the last mark. its always good to add on to what the question is saying, like if they were asking about the impact on tragedy on an individual i would say that tragedy is multifaceted, making us believe that there is no hope, yet pushing the individual psyche to grow and prosper in the future (i got 19/20 trial)

enchantedivory27

HSC
i usually do 1 less technique than the mark required. for ex. a 4 mark question ii would find 3 techniques and clearly identify the human experience and its impact on the individual/community, using it to cohesively develop an argument that progresses towards the end of the response, contributing the last mark. its always good to add on to what the question is saying, like if they were asking about the impact on tragedy on an individual i would say that tragedy is multifaceted, making us believe that there is no hope, yet pushing the individual psyche to grow and prosper in the future (i got 19/20 trial)
i swear i did this in the trial but got 12/20 so ofc some stuff to still work on, have to be even more insightful and go into that rather than technique on technique i guess

Legendary16

HSC
How about we collectively respond to this short answer question...hopefully we can all let in on each other's tricks to responding

Text Two - Non-fiction (4 marks)
Just Back: a heavenly walk in Italy (Janet Rogers)

Nino, our walking guide, promised to take us to the best restaurant in Italy for lunch, but how he would manage to combine fine dining with a remote mountain walk, I wasn’t sure.
We were to walk the Path of the Gods, a high and heavenly way above the Amalfi Coast in Italy, across wild and precipitous terrain.
We took the local train to Castellammare di Stabia, then a bus, which wound up mountain roads past lemon groves and olive trees and meadows of yellow flowers.
At Bomerano, the village where the Path of the Gods begins, we stopped for coffee in a family-run café and Nino chatted to the owners. We admired, but resisted, the St Joseph’s Day cakes in the large glass cabinet: big iced balls, like profiteroles, full of cream with soft icing and a cherry on top. Then we set off in thick mist down stone steps out of the village. We knew the sea was somewhere below us, but we couldn’t see it. It was actually 1,800ft down and in places the rocky drop was almost vertical.
The path is an ancient track above the Mediterranean. For centuries it was the only route for local people and travellers. Farmers still work the narrow terraces. A man planting potatoes greeted us as we emerged from the mist. We could hear the clanging of goat bells high in the mountain, but we could not see the animals themselves.
Nino stopped to point out wild violets growing in rocky crevices and he picked a tiny white flower so we could smell its honey scent. We saw mint and wild thyme and high bushes of white heather. Then, as if we had stepped into the past, a man on a mule came towards us; the mule picking its way carefully over the rocky ground.
The mist cleared a little and we looked down on the village of Priano and the Convent of St Domenica with its neatly tilled terraces and vineyards.
At times Nino strode ahead, nimbly picking his way like the mule we had seen. At other times he walked with us, pointing out emerald euphorbia and lapillo, a white, light volcanic rock.
At midday we rounded a rocky corner. Nino had found a picnic bench on a precipice and he’d laid out a crusty loaf, sweet tomatoes, fat olives and a local cheese, caciocavallo, which looked like a giant pear.
As we sat, the mist lifted, the sun came out and the sea shone like tinsel. The bells in the church tower in the village below chimed midday and the sound echoed around the mountain. Bees buzzed in the purple rosemary. It was, without doubt, the best restaurant in Italy.

How does the text use language techniques to establish the beauty of the author’s experience?

TheSmartGuyRises

HSC
Hell no my friend, uni is messed up too, yea you have more freedom but there's much more at stake than regular school.
you know, prison life is what you make of it. Be like Andy Dufresne, avoid the sisters, and escape with a friend like Redding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)