2U to General ? (1 Viewer)

ismt_ozn

HSC
Can your school drop you to general maths from 2U in your 2nd term of year 12 ?

k-pham

HSC
Uni Grad
yes they can when i was doing my hsc some students that lagged behind from the 2u classes where dropped by the head teacher

ismt_ozn

HSC
But isnt it too risky ? Youve missed out of a whole terms worth of work for general and besides You'd rather get 60 in 2U then get 80 in general ... ?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You can, but it's a bad idea. Not only have you missed a term of HSC general content the preliminary work in General maths is typically very heavily tested (more than the 30% in 2u). In addition to that general maths use different style questions afaik so i've heard it's hard for students who drop late to adjust.

michaeljennings

HSC
besides You'd rather get 60 in 2U then get 80 in general ... ?
You need to remember that your school's best interest and your own best interest are not the same thing.

They have their own agenda ie their stats. Schools are ranked on percentage of band 6's achieved thus for them a potential 80 in general math is better than a 60 in 2u for them (I know 80 is not a band 6 but its a hell of a lot closer than a 60)

face34

HSC
No! I rather get 80 in general.. You can check atar calculator for that.

Dropping to gen was the best thing I've ever done and i recommend students who aren't getting at least 30% to drop. General is so much easier = less work and stress therefore more time on other subjects if you like.

I was getting 10 - 45% in 2U when i dropped i was getting 90% plus for all my exams and i didn't even do work in class just did most of my homework which not many people seemed to do in general.

ismt_ozn

HSC
You need to remember that your school's best interest and your own best interest are not the same thing.
Yes exactly, Thats the actual reason behind my question... The school cares about its ranking not its students higher education. So are they LEGALLY allowed to drop their student in the 2nd term of year 12 although this student has been studying advanced maths since year 9 ... ?

michaeljennings

HSC
Yes exactly, Thats the actual reason behind my question... The school cares about its ranking not its students higher education. So are they LEGALLY allowed to drop their student in the 2nd term of year 12 although this student has been studying advanced maths since year 9 ... ?
yes they are, plenty of schools do it, and if youve been studying for advanced math since yr 9 why are you only getting 60%?

ismt_ozn

HSC
Coz im not naturally smart at math... I need to give all my concentration to it inorder to get good grades. And because rcently i needed to get my other grades higher i kinda screwed math on the way...
And btw my current marks are:
Sta eng: 75
Adv math: 40
Eco: 85
Business: 75
Physics: 69
Turkish: 93. ..... If i keep these marks up considering i increased my math to 60... What ATARam i looking at?

michaeljennings

HSC
Coz im not naturally smart at math... I need to give all my concentration to it inorder to get good grades. And because rcently i needed to get my other grades higher i kinda screwed math on the way...
And btw my current marks are:
Sta eng: 75
Adv math: 40
Eco: 85
Business: 75
Physics: 69
Turkish: 93. ..... If i keep these marks up considering i increased my math to 60... What ATARam i looking at?
I dont know, raw marks dont mean anything because of scaling

I still find it hard to believe that someone who has been studying 2u maths since yr 9 could be achieving marks of 40%

ismt_ozn

HSC
Why is it so hard to believe ? A little lack of concentration and your marks drop dramatically... AND my schools assesment tasks are REALLY hard... Its a private school and has extremly hard exams which make it difficult for an average student to keep up with... Well do you at least think my current marks are good or bad ? :/

michaeljennings

HSC
Why is it so hard to believe ? A little lack of concentration and your marks drop dramatically... AND my schools assesment tasks are REALLY hard... Its a private school and has extremly hard exams which make it difficult for an average student to keep up with... Well do you at least think my current marks are good or bad ? :/
I would expect someone who has been studying for a subject since year 9 to get at least 70% and I dont think a little lack of concentration can cause your mark to drop to as far as only 40%. How many exams have you sat for 2u maths so far?

And if your school really did set extremely hard exams which make it difficult for the average student then there should be a lot of students in the same boat as you and therefore they wouldnt be dropping you down to general maths

ismt_ozn

HSC
Currently we sat for only one exam ... I know 40 is really bad but I want to do either mechanical engineering or comp science in usyd or unsw... If they drop me to general would that mean i HAVE to do a year of maths catching up in uni ?

michaeljennings

HSC
Currently we sat for only one exam ... I know 40 is really bad but I want to do either mechanical engineering or comp science in usyd or unsw... If they drop me to general would that mean i HAVE to do a year of maths catching up in uni ?
I dont think so, you can always do bridging courses over the summer before you start im pretty syre.

ismt_ozn

HSC
Okk, one last thing, if u got worse case 60% as raw for 2u ... What would it scale to ?

ismt_ozn

HSC
Yea i gotta suck it up but got too much pressure on me, both from teachers and parents... Teachers saying stay in general and get 95+ -.- and den i come home parents saying do whateva u have to to stay in 2u ... And den theres me, dunno which option will be for the better :/ :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)