2U to General ? (1 Viewer)

mac1996

HSC
I don't think there allowed to drop you whether you like it or not. If it was your choice, stay in 2u it is very easy. General can actually be trickier than 2u, as it requires more interpretation and the questions are wordy, so u gotta be careful. Doing your homework in 2u and getting the right answers (if not seek for help), id guarantee you at least 70%. It is not a hard course.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Don't drop to General if you can manage to get > 60 by determined effort. Besides doing Engineering with just a General is a cruel joke. Don't you believe too much in bridging courses. Realistically you need at least an MX1 to do Engineering.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
Two people from my year dropped from 2 unit to general after the second term of year 12. They were getting around 60 in 2 unit and one ended up getting 94 in general, the other 96

ismt_ozn

HSC
I don't think there allowed to drop you whether you like it or not.
Yes thats what i thought aswell... But seems to be that u and i are the only ones that think that :/ ?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Yes thats what i thought aswell... But seems to be that u and i are the only ones that think that :/ ?
Are you sure they will drop you?
You need to pick it up in the HYE to convince them that you can do 2U maths, make sure to improve your algebra skills and interpretation, because that is essentially all of what 2U maths really is, there aren't any tricks or clever things you need to find, its just being able to cleanly execute complex algebra neatly and interpreting the question.

Do some of the past papers on this site to help get better.
Also to estimate your ATAR you need to post school rank and subject ranks, since difficulty of internal tasks can't really be directly measured your marks mean nothing whatsoever.

If you come 15/30 with 40 and get good in the HSC, you will do alright overall. (for example)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
may i add to the

"lol you want to do engineering with only general maths. good luck not failing"

choir

Engineering has a lot of mathematics at its core. If you're going to shy away from 2u mathematics - you are going to literally die at uni mathematics where in first year, it's 3u and 4u revision pretty much.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Shadowdude is right, you'll want to stick with 2u if you plan on doing engineering. I do know people who have gone well in uni maths after doing general but they put in the effort and it's just not ideal circumstances.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
i don't recommend dropping to general for the reasons other people have said. also i was under the impression that in government schools you can't be forced to drop a subject...

ismt_ozn

HSC
Dude my schools private :( ... And ive made up my mind.. Im going to do general in yr 12 and do a month of bridging course b4 uni .. This is for the best , because itll enable me to get a higher atar and attend usyd or unsw. If i do 2u i know upill get a shit mark for it and thatll drop my atar.. Therefore i guess this is the best way :/

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes exactly, Thats the actual reason behind my question... The school cares about its ranking not its students higher education. So are they LEGALLY allowed to drop their student in the 2nd term of year 12 although this student has been studying advanced maths since year 9 ... ?
They're not meant to force student's hand in dropping subjects.

Okk, one last thing, if u got worse case 60% as raw for 2u ... What would it scale to ?
60 as a raw HSC mark in the exam? I can't remember the raw mark cut offs now that the format is different but it would get aligned up a bit. In the old format 70 something percent used to get aligned up to b6. It's less generous now but anyways, gets aligned up a bit.

Dude my schools private :( ... And ive made up my mind.. Im going to do general in yr 12 and do a month of bridging course b4 uni .. This is for the best , because itll enable me to get a higher atar and attend usyd or unsw. If i do 2u i know upill get a shit mark for it and thatll drop my atar.. Therefore i guess this is the best way :/
Are you sure it's best for your marks? You have to take in account Mathematics much superior aligning and scaling. General Maths you'll have to catch up, and it's content is quite different. You'll die trying to do Engineering with only General-most people doing engineering at least do 3U.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you do General, you can forget Engineering. Don't kid yourself a bridging course is going to take care of your maths. In my view, even a 2U Maths is not good enough for Engineering.

Last edited:

nifkeh

HSC
If you do General, you can forget Engineering. Don't kid yourself a bridging course is going to take care of your maths. In my view, even a 2U Maths is not good enough for Engineering.
we went to the UNSW info day and met this 3rd year engineering student, he said he only did 2U maths and it was still fine and of course he said he had to maintain his effort against people who did 3U and 4U already so to not cave in due to the maths content

nifkeh

HSC
to OP: since you're given the opportunity to do 2U, you should before the half yearlies take the time to really drill into the content and aim to get like 50%+, dropping to general isn't always a great idea but if you really feel you can't keep up with 2U then just drop it and divert your focus to general. General maths I find is more word-y and a lot different because of the topics I guess but by all means do your best for 2U, if you don't see it going anywhere despite best efforts then switch to general

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Do not drop to general .................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)