3 + 3 HSC system ? (1 Viewer)

Lorenzo_Casaol

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Everyone! sooo my school is doing this system called 3 + 3 HSC where we have to do 3 subjects in both years 11 and 12. So in one year, you have to complete both Preliminary and HSC course for your chosen subjects (2 terms each course).

what are some advantages and disadvantages of this system do you think it has? .. and if possible, what tips would you give me in order to ace my subjects . Thanks in advance !:thrust::angel:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The only main advantage in this system is you can link year 11 and year 12 content very easily and possibly can better accommodate those who want to do accelerated courses. However, there are many more disadvantages to this system than advantages such as for maths-you will need to revise over content learnt in the previous year if you do it in year 11-which is an absolute pain-because maths is a subject that has to be practiced every day/week, and also the speed of learning the content would be quite fast paced which means if you don't understand anything and if you don't grasp it immediately, you will be behind, and I think the most significant disadvantage is that your school is only one of the very few schools who does this-and you are competing with students who have adopted gradual understanding over two years-which usually means better results-unless of course, your school and yourself are really bright students and find the normal learning pace too slow.

I think this system is extremely problematic for subjects like English-because whether you do it in year 11 or year 12-you will be disadvantaged-you will not have as much time to practice on the knowledge you really need-waste half a year doing preliminary stuff not counted towards HSC-and not enough time to refine your skills-4 modules in 2 terms is seriously very very intense, and imagine trying to recall information learnt a year before in the HSC...

Top 3 tips to ace your subjects
1)Know what subjects you are doing in year 11-and find preliminary and HSC textbooks on it-and read it thoroughly in holidays-understand as much concepts as possible and perhaps even try to do some practice problems whilst checking your answers-and MORE IMPORTANTLY, CIRCLE ANY CONCEPTS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND TO ASK THE TEACHER IN THE COMING YEAR and also circle questions you don't know how to do after several attempts to ask the teacher as well

2)Make sure you stay on top of your notes and assignments and assessments-maybe even start try to do a basic set of notes from textbook information and syllabus before the term starts for the upcoming one-two topic, if you are doing English-read all your English text before hand and find related text for any modules that need one

3)Maintain an optimistic attitude, never give up-keep trying hard and put consistent effort in -as long as you put in the effort-that is the best way to ace your subjects

I seriously wish you the best of luck for acing your subjects in your preliminary and HSC years:) Probably the most important tip is to CONSISTENTLY revise over content you have learnt-particularly during your year 12-summer holiday-use that to revise over all concepts learnt in year 11 subjects(those 3 subjects you also have to do HSC for), with as much consistent revision as possible-they will be stored in your long term memory-but still practice it when you have time. Hope this advice helped:)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I'm tutoring a student with this system at the moment, i hate it personally.

You have to cram the whole year of hsc within a 6 month period. Even though you're doing more lessons and have less subjects to study for i don't like it.

ChillTime

HSC
Which genius thought up this idea?

I can see a lot of cons:

1. You can't properly utilise the year 11/12 summer break to revise or study ahead. This break is bonus time for regular school students.
2. If you don't like a subject, you have less time to contemplate/drop/swap.
3. You are under max study pressure for 2 years rather than 1, this increases the likelihood of burnout.
4. Less time to seek and use aid like private tuition when you need it.
5. Will be out of synch with classroom based tuition schools.
6. More boredom due to higher exposure to each subject.
7. If you switch schools at the end of year 11, you will have to do an extra year of high school because you haven't started the prelim of your remaining 3 subjects.
8. More pressure on teachers

Pros?

1. Allows your brain to focus on fewer subjects, especially for rigid minded people who find it hard to juggle multiple subjects

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I think that the pros and cons are largely dependent on the individual student and their needs. I think it suits the more talented students who can pick up the work fast. For other students, it can be harder because their skills havent sufficiently developed yet. For a lot of courses, there is more to succeeding than just knowing the content. Like, with Modern, essay writing skills are an essential aspect of doing well in the course. For me personally, it took me two years to develop those skills and I was not at a band 6 level in Prelim. So even though I would have learned the content all in year 11, I wouldnt have had the skills needed to achieve a Band 6.

Like I said, it's largely dependent on the person, but I think it suits the more talented students.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For the average student I do not think it is a good idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)