• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

3 unit marks for 4 unit (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey i've already asked this in another section of the forums cos then i realised there was a 4unit maths section. But uh, my maths coordinator whos my teacher is pushing me and a couplke of others to do 4 unit maths, but im having doubts as to how well i would go in it. I heard someone say that u need to get in 90s in ext 1 to bother doing ext 2. In my last two ext 1 exams i got 87% and for 2 unit i got 99%. I am currently 1st in ext 1 and 2 unit but im still a little unsure of how my performance would be in 4 unit. What did u guys who are doin 4 unit now get in your exams in yr11? Just so i have an idea of how much harder i need to work in maths.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
90s as in scaled mark. If you're getting 90s raw I think you're almost definately fine for it, I got 86% in my 2u HSC trial last year and I am now doing 4u and expected to get a band E4, at least according to my teacher.

Tarek

thats kinda hard 2 answer... but in yr 11 i was getting 90's for 3u and 2u but that all changed when i started 4u. first off u must ask youself a few questions
1. am i prepared to put in a lot of hard work for this subject?
2. do i really need to do 4u maths? and is this the best option for me?
3. are there the resources in my school (or out of school) to help teach me 4u?
if your answers are all yes then you shouldnt find 4u very difficult. a couple of pointers learn all your work, dont start studying 2 days b4 the test and learn all the tricks you can time is everything

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
Don't do it 'just because it scales well'. I learnt that the hard way :(

cj_bridle

HSC
you should be fine doing 4U champ, just give it a go for the first topic you can always drop it if ur struggling... for me it even helps my 3U in some topics.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
hmm.. right now.. im thinking of picking up ext 2..

only problem is im kinda all over the place right now..

2 unit assessments: first one i got 98% (top 5) and second one 77% (rank too low to consider)

3 unit assessments: first one i got 66% (middle ranking) and second one 91% (top 20)

so... as you can see im very inconsistent... should i try ext2 maths?

harrys

i thought i was killing 3 unit in yr 11, till i got 61% in the yearly exam (independant)...however now i'm doin 4u and i'm not having any seriuos problems, and 3u looks like piss in comparison (get easy 90's).
I suppose, if u can imagine urself putting in alot more work for 4 unit, then go 4 it. Its not about how many hours u needa put in, that changes according to your ability, but deff consider more than tripling your current work rate.
Oh and its bludy interesting btw :D

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
boasboy said:
hmm.. right now.. im thinking of picking up ext 2..

only problem is im kinda all over the place right now..

2 unit assessments: first one i got 98% (top 5) and second one 77% (rank too low to consider)

3 unit assessments: first one i got 66% (middle ranking) and second one 91% (top 20)

so... as you can see im very inconsistent... should i try ext2 maths?
If you can see where you went wrong in the two exams you went bad in, then you should consider it. You need to be rock solid in your 3u stuff to do 4u, since harder 3u is the hardest thing you will do in 4u (in my opinion anyway).

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
one problem i thin k ihave is that i kind of just cram in the morning of the test..

i get into that habit.. i study about a week before for most subjects.. except maths.. ><"

everytime i try sit down to do practice.. i always get distracted.. ><" *grrr* why is maths doing this to me..! :D~

Rorix

HSC
the problem is thinking you can 'study' maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)