30 million dollars (1 Viewer)

SweetSeasons

HSC
do u know whats annoying me.. my mum just said the government is giving 30 million dolars worth of scholarships to asians over seas so they can come study here.. i'm not racist at all or anything an dif i was i'd have to hate my self cause i've got a bit of every thing in me.. but it's taking away the places in uni for the kids that grew up in australia as if it's not hard enough to get in to uni to start with.

ever since john howards got this extra power things are getting pretty fucked

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ogm! why be racist for?!
are you positive about this? Or is this just a 'my mum heard this' thing. I doubt they'd hand out that much (considering their local scholarship spending is poor). Plus Australia attracts Asian students as it is (I would think they'd hand out US, European scholarships instead)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i understand there's a skill shortage but most asians do business courses. We have a plentitude of skills in that area! Fuckign stupid. And a lot of Asians just find jobs here and become citizens.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree, look at the lack of skilled workers in certain professions (ie Accounting), what else can the government do but lure overseas students to take up these jobs.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i never realised there was such a defecit of accountants

Rorix

HSC
SweetSeasons said:

Yeah...it is John Howard's fault that kids can't get into uni...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
My mother told me that when she was a kid, if you were naughty the Indian guy who sells umbrellas in the street would come and take you away.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
SweetSeasons said:
do u know whats annoying me.. my mum just said the government is giving 30 million dolars worth of scholarships to asians over seas so they can come study here.. i'm not racist at all or anything an dif i was i'd have to hate my self cause i've got a bit of every thing in me.. but it's taking away the places in uni for the kids that grew up in australia as if it's not hard enough to get in to uni to start with.

yeah those fucking asians coming and taking away our university places... not to mention the fucking fact that 60% of our fucking university revenue comes from overseas students... and that Australia will fucking benefit from the inflow of trade and tourism for participating in an east asian trade bloc. i'm not racist or anything, but every time i go to a UNSW accounting lecture, and see all these asian faces, my mummy tells me it's just taking away the places in uni for the kids that grew up in australia. it makes my fucking blood boil. :rolleyes:

yeah and fuck howard too.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
politik said:
Don't you get it?

Australia has all the opportunities for Australians. If you were smart enough to get a University place, you would get one.
I agree.

Oh, and how hard is it to get into uni? :confused: I didn't think it was that hard.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
gordo said:
that was pro-active
sorry gordo. i was merely trying to mimic the style of the threadmaker.

dream'ish... uni aint that hard to get into

SweetSeasons

HSC
I just think that 30 million in scholarships to Australian citizens or studnes in Australian schools would be money better spent.

I'm 1/4 indonesian it is not a race issue.

It is hard to get into uni, it's hard to pay for uni and it's hard to stay friggin motivated when you're at uni.

Why not spend that money on promotion of carears where there are shortages to students in Australian schools, up grading of uni facilities or even on improving the education system so there aren't as many people who are apparently "too stupid" to get into uni.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
I just think that 30 million in scholarships to Australian citizens or studnes in Australian schools would be money better spent.
Why? Please explain. People need to realise that others are only going to help you if they get something out of it for themselves. So it's fairly obvious that money will be spent on those who are more likely to benefit society. It shouldn't matter whether the student is from Australia or overseas as long as it benefits this country.

It is hard to get into uni, it's hard to pay for uni and it's hard to stay friggin motivated when you're at uni.
I won't argue against the first few points but you say that it's hard to stay motivaited once you're at uni? If you can't stay motivated once you're at uni then you shouldn't be there in the first place. So that point is irrelevant.

Why not spend that money on promotion of carears where there are shortages to students in Australian schools, up grading of uni facilities or even on improving the education system so there aren't as many people who are apparently "too stupid" to get into uni.
What do you actually mean when you say 'improve the education system so that there aren't as many people who are too stupid to get into uni?' How should the education system be improved to ensure that this can be achieved?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SweetSeasons said:

Sounds like the minority of you is being oppressed by the other 75%. For shame.

SweetSeasons

HSC
no, I'm pretty proud of every part of me, I'm not being racist at all.

Benny. Improve the education system, better systems which moniter how well a teacher educates, there are so many teachers who can't teach. Or even little things such as new furniture so kids can sit on a seat that isn't about to fall appart or more books for schools.
I think many smart people miss out on uni, I was rebuting some one else who pretty much said only stupid people don't get into uni.

Vizman, it's for asians over seas... and that's my point exactly, why not asians who are already in australia, in our australian schools why not give it to them first.
Why not give the scholarships to people in australia who can't afford the texts books or the train fair to uni, people who can't aford to spend 4 years more at school because they need to be earning money right now, to young mothers who want to study.. there are so many people in this country already who need it, why go over seas.. I don't see the point

Generator

HSC
N/A
SweetSeasons said:
Haha! I call bullshit!

SweetSeasons said:

Frigid has already posted one link, but there is no harm in posting another - Howard woos top Asian students. Now, SweetSeasons, I suggest that you take note of the following quote -

The scheme -- a new version of the Colombo Plan that brought 20,000 Asian students to study in Australia between 1951 and 1980 -- could be unveiled by John Howard as early as this week.

The biggest overseas education plan funded by Canberra is expected to be one of Australia's most tangible contributions to the concept of an East Asian Community, which will be discussed at this week's ASEAN and East Asian summits.

Senior government sources said the Government hoped that the new scholarships would build on the huge success of the 55-year-old Colombo Plan.

Many Colombo Plan students who studied at Australian universities have gone on to become leaders in their countries.

While the plan, one of the world's longest-running multilateral aid programs, still operates, Australia's focus under the scheme has shifted since the 1970s to technical co-operation projects, such as drug programs, rather than higher education scholarships.

The Government's new scholarship scheme will focus on existing Colombo Plan countries, which include Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Burma, Indonesia, Vietnam and Japan.

It is also expected to include provision for Australian students to study in Asia.

The initiative forms a key part of Canberra's strategy to be recognised as a full member of any institutionalised East Asian grouping, which might evolve from the inaugural summit in Kuala Lumpur.
I take it that you are against Australia's aid programmes in Asia (or in their entirety) and the Government's attempts at regional integration?

Ps. Interational students do not take 'our' places, because such places exist in addition to, not in place of, those provided by the HECS system.

Last edited:

SweetSeasons

HSC
Generator, my Oma was indonesian and my opa half indonesian.. not bullshit.

Thanks for the aditional information. I tried to do a search befor making a post but could find no info on it and was just going on what my mum had told me.

I still feel our education system would benefit from the money, but if people from over seas aren't taking places of australians then I really have no biff with it.
I'm always pissed off with the lack of funding the gov gives our schools

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
SS: write to our Honourable PM, Dr Brendan Nelson and your local MP to express your outrage.

ahhh... the wonders of the Westminster system. we only reap whom we sow :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)