3U CSSA Trial (1 Viewer)

emmcyclopedia

HSC
I wish I could take a 4day weekend...

i gotta get back to Year 11 and do 4 assessments... really soon! >_<

I have not done prelim homework for over 5 weeks now and not been doing anything other than listening in some classes... and I'm only behind in Chemistry by a little bit and behind in Physics a little (but a lot for my usual standard... since I like to keep up on notes... and I'm so far behind on notes)
wow.
i have a few questions for you and also anyone else on these forums...
- seeing as i don't live in sydney, and i'm up at a 500-student high school where a lot of people haven't even heard of accelerating courses! (mind you, not a dodge school, still a top 100)

yeah, so:
Q1. why do people accelerate work when they're in yr 11, or even yr 9 or 10??? it seems crazy to me, why do you want to stress yourself out before you even make it to year 12?? is it more convenient???

Q2. how much time do you dedicate to study/homework/assessments each nite, with all the extra HSC work you have to do??

I found it kinda amusing, i do chem and used to do phys, and I don't get how you can be severely "behind". like, do you write out heaps of summaries or something?

i haven't done syllabus summaries. i sit and absorb in class and do some homework practise questions, and sometimes i'll miss out on classes and so i'll get a copy of the notes, but it's not like a compulsive thing where if i miss out on a few things i'm suddenly terribly behind schedule.

i suppose it's a workload thing?

but yeah, just reading over BOS forums scares me, but also makes me laugh. not saying accelerating or studying constantly is a bad thing, but i'm a firm believer in working smarter, not harder. i mean, i'm not one those half-baked hscers who is only aiming to not get a pink piece of paper in december (lol, though that is a fundamental aim...). im the type of person who doesn't like 2nd place!!!

so to most of you whom i presume are the sydney freaks of hsc mythological legends, i commend you. but do you ever stop?

haha, is BOS comprised entirely of students from competitive schools like...i dunno, ruse, mlc, ignatius, etc etc etc???

ok, epic rant, feel free to reply to any part of this, i am highly curious of your species...

:wave:

-Onlooker-

HSC
do u remember the exact question? I could solve it again to find the correct answer. I'm sure the answer was either 1 or 2. I just can't remember which one.
Sorry, All I can remember is 1/240piek ?? or something like that ...

Waite for the marks i guess. Sorry if my abruptness incited hostility; It wasn't my intention to provoke. I hope you achieve well.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
k is definitely 2 for the rates of change question.

I remember

r = kh

it was like dA/dt = dr/dt x dA/dr

and dA/dt = 0.1 and dr/dt = 1/240kpi and dA/dr = 4rpi +4pikr at r = 4 i think?

so 0.1 = 1/240kpi x (16pi + 16pik)
24kpi = 16pi + 16pik
8kpi = 16pi
k = 2

my memory ftmfw lololol

hmm answer is 2x3^n isnt it

Q: [(2^4n x 3^2n)/ (8^n x 6^n)] + 3^n

2^4n x 3^2n
------------------------ +3^n
2^3n x 3^n x 2^n

cancel...
u get 3^n + 3^n = 2 x 3^n
Ye it was 2 x 3^n. I remember checking this answer with calculator lol.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
yeah, so:
Q1. why do people accelerate work when they're in yr 11, or even yr 9 or 10??? it seems crazy to me, why do you want to stress yourself out before you even make it to year 12?? is it more convenient???
Because accelerating is awesome. It lessens the work you have to do during your hsc year if you knock few units off. And it's also more convenient because you can JUST FOCUS on those accelerated units.

Q2. how much time do you dedicate to study/homework/assessments each nite, with all the extra HSC work you have to do??
Depends on the person IMHO. If you want good mark, you would work harder. If you are okay, maybe not. Last year, I worked extremely hard - about an hour everyday MINIMUM. Before exam, I did 3-4 hours easily. So I worked very hard. That was reflected in my results. =)

I found it kinda amusing, i do chem and used to do phys, and I don't get how you can be severely "behind". like, do you write out heaps of summaries or something?
??? ok?

but yeah, just reading over BOS forums scares me, but also makes me laugh. not saying accelerating or studying constantly is a bad thing, but i'm a firm believer in working smarter, not harder. i mean, i'm not one those half-baked hscers who is only aiming to not get a pink piece of paper in december (lol, though that is a fundamental aim...). im the type of person who doesn't like 2nd place!!!
ok...isn't it obvious that working smarter >>>>>>>>>>>> working harder anyway? no need to stress the axiom.

so to most of you whom i presume are the sydney freaks of hsc mythological legends, i commend you. but do you ever stop?

haha, is BOS comprised entirely of students from competitive schools like...i dunno, ruse, mlc, ignatius, etc etc etc???

ok, epic rant, feel free to reply to any part of this, i am highly curious of your species...
It was pretty epic rant and no to all your questions here.

As random as your post is, I would like to point how irrelevant this post is to the purpose of the thread tbh.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
any1 remember the induction question??
It was a typical induction question, think it was
RTP: 3^3m + 2^m+2 is divisible by 5.

Don't quote me on that though - I might be wrong.

To solve it you'd have to just go through the process of induction, and in the third step you used your assumption in step 2, manipulated the indicies and there you go.

hi nath (dont ask me how i know u lol)
do you remember the induction divisibility.. i wanna redo to assure myself i got it right... also the EGAD one

for polynomial did u get for 1 roo x =2, k = -10 and the otehr 2 roots like 5 and -1? =]
I also remember getting something along those lines for the probability.
Which was the EGAD question - I forgot haha.

Also one more thing, I am curious on how you know me :p

RocKetBoy

HSC
Kind of easy paper, definitely 80+/84
Finished the whole paper in 50mins except the 2nd last part of the last projectile question. I spent 1hr on it and still couldn't get it haha T.T
For the last part of projectile (finding the angle) i guessed the answer and it turned out to be right xD
i hope i get the 2marks for it....but teacher probably wanted working
Most of my friends sed they failed.

DannyT

HSC
we haven't learnt binomial and they still put the probability question in Q7. I don't care if you can use perms and combs if you knew binomial you would use it so yeah kind of disadvantaged by not having the privilege of having this alternate method up my sleeve. last year's accelerants knew how to do it of course so they probably got it. there will be a dispute when i get my paper back lol

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Because accelerating is awesome. It lessens the work you have to do during your hsc year if you knock few units off. And it's also more convenient because you can JUST FOCUS on those accelerated units.

Depends on the person IMHO. If you want good mark, you would work harder. If you are okay, maybe not. Last year, I worked extremely hard - about an hour everyday MINIMUM. Before exam, I did 3-4 hours easily. So I worked very hard. That was reflected in my results. =)

??? ok?

ok...isn't it obvious that working smarter >>>>>>>>>>>> working harder anyway? no need to stress the axiom.

It was pretty epic rant and no to all your questions here.

As random as your post is, I would like to point how irrelevant this post is to the purpose of the thread tbh.

thank you for your honesty - really sorry if it seemed irrelevant, my questions were prompted by a response to one of my previous comments about the CSSA trial, and I think that extension maths is a breeding ground for accelerants and smart people so I thought it might be opportune to ask! but im finished now =D

HSC
k is definitely 2 for the rates of change question.

I remember

r = kh

it was like dA/dt = dr/dt x dA/dr

and dA/dt = 0.1 and dr/dt = 1/240kpi and dA/dr = 4rpi +4pikr at r = 4 i think?

so 0.1 = 1/240kpi x (16pi + 16pik)
24kpi = 16pi + 16pik
8kpi = 16pi
k = 2
Isn't surface area of a cylinder = 2pir^2 + 2pirh

So shouldn't dA/dr = 4rpi + 2pih
= 4rpi + 2pikr

:S

Last edited:

independantz

HSC

= 4rpi + 2pikr

A = 2*(pi)*(r)^2+2*(pi)*h=2*(pi)*(r)^2+2*(pi)*(r^2)/k, since r=kh
dA/dr = 4(pi)r+4(pi)r/k

Btw i havent seen the question, just judging by what he wrote up there, this is what should happen

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

= 4rpi + 2pikr

2pi r^2 + 2pi r h = 2pi r^2 + 2pi r^2 k
dA/dr = 4pi r + 4pir k

ok?

we haven't learnt binomial and they still put the probability question in Q7. I don't care if you can use perms and combs if you knew binomial you would use it so yeah kind of disadvantaged by not having the privilege of having this alternate method up my sleeve. last year's accelerants knew how to do it of course so they probably got it. there will be a dispute when i get my paper back lol
In all honesty, the teacher could dispute that the question was from Perms and Combs section. If you look at Fitzpatrick, it's in the section 3 where this kind of question can come from.

This happened in the early term 1 and this issue was crushed by the maths coordinator.

Besides, for this question, even though I used Binomial probability for part 2, I could easily use Perms and Coms to get the part ii especially. TBH, using Perms and Combs for part ii might even be better.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
What kind of raw mark/percentage in this exam would align to 90% (i.e. if this were a HSC exam)? Obviously this estimation may not be accurate but just a ball-park figure.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
What kind of raw mark/percentage in this exam would align to 90% (i.e. if this were a HSC exam)? Obviously this estimation may not be accurate but just a ball-park figure.
basically high 60% raw = band E4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)