4-Unit Maths? (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Iyounamu said:
4unit is easy so far. Especially complex numbers.
Knowledge wise, it's easy. Content wise, it's getting harder, especially with 12 units.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am extremely frustrated with Iyounamu who is copying exactly what I said...:evilfire:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
I am extremely frustrated with Iyounamu who is copying exactly what I said...:evilfire:
Ah NAMU! I thought that was your other account. Uh oh...I sense a troll disturbance.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
lyounamu said:
Why don't you just say something bad about yourself and see if he copies it. I know it sounds like a silly idea but I did see it on T.V once.

h3ll h0und

HSC
i went to a seminar and the people there told me that if u are above average for extension 2 mathematics it is equivalent to getting top 1 percent for chem/phsyics....is this true?
i mite do extension 2 maths becuz i find maths interesting .... but first ill see how i do in prelims.
how many hours a week wud u desginate ur study towards extension 2 maths?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
h3ll h0und said:
i went to a seminar and the people there told me that if u are above average for extension 2 mathematics it is equivalent to getting top 1 percent for chem/phsyics....is this true?
i mite do extension 2 maths becuz i find maths interesting .... but first ill see how i do in prelims.
how many hours a week wud u desginate ur study towards extension 2 maths?
yes that is true in terms on UAI, if u want to get that result, ur amount of study can vary...if ur pretty good at maths already u wont have to do as much

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Holy cow.... That's heaps good. Maybe I might take ext. 2 Maths I cope with it :D

What's the sclaing comparison for Ext 1 Maths? Near as good?

Do most of the people that get 99+ for UAI mostly take the extension courses or the really high ranking courses? Because that would help make some sense...

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
With me - Mathematics Extension 2 isn't actually so bad. The course gets interesting (well as interesting as maths can get) and the main trouble for me isn't understanding the concepts - but actually finding the time to consistenly revise.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know how I will go at Ext 1. but I think I might go okay. :D If I'm good ext. 1 I will definitely be continuing with the ext. 2 course.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Aquawhite said:
I don't know how I will go at Ext 1. but I think I might go okay. :D If I'm good ext. 1 I will definitely be continuing with the ext. 2 course.
I'm pretty sure you'll do alright - I mean from your sig - I'm assuming your an accelerant. Also don't do the mistake I did and not take it seriously. Give it your all - and you should be fine.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Holy cow.... That's heaps good. Maybe I might take ext. 2 Maths I cope with it :D

Do most of the people that get 99+ for UAI mostly take the extension courses or the really high ranking courses? Because that would help make some sense...
ext 1 maths scaling is also pretty good, better than most (if not all of the other subjects)
it would make it easier to get 99+ if u did above average in 4units of maths but of course many people get 99+ without any maths or sciences or high scaling courses, u'd just have to perform closer to the top.

h3ll h0und

HSC
Aquawhite said:

its not as much as ext2 maths but i heard that getting top 25 percent is equivalent to getting top 1 percent in chem/physics ....

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
h3ll h0und said:
its not as much as ext2 maths but i heard that getting top 25 percent is equivalent to getting top 1 percent in chem/physics ....
Refer to Scaling Report 2008.

It's more like top 3-4 percent or thereabout.

h3ll h0und

HSC
lyounamu said:
Refer to Scaling Report 2008.

It's more like top 3-4 percent or thereabout.
top 3-4 percent for chem/physics or maths extension?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
In 2008 a scaled mark at the 25th percentile in Mathematics Extension 2 was roughly equivalent to scaled marks at the 90th percentiles in Physics and Chemistry.

The scaling for Mathematics Extension 2 is so high because it is determined entirely by the performance of Extension 2 students on the Extension 1 paper - not according to their general performance over all courses.

(This is the same for all extension courses but the syllabuses for the other extension courses do not build upon and extend the skills in the lower course to the same extent as the syllabus for Mathematics Extension 2. Extension 1 provides the foundation for the topics in Extension 2 and accordingly the Extension 2 students typically perform very well on the Extension 1 paper.)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
In 2008 a scaled mark at the 25th percentile in Mathematics Extension 2 was roughly equivalent to scaled marks at the 90th percentiles in Physics and Chemistry.

The scaling for Mathematics Extension 2 is so high because it is determined entirely by the performance of Extension 2 students on the Extension 1 paper - not according to their general performance over all courses.

(This is the same for all extension courses but the syllabuses for the other extension courses do not build upon and extend the skills in the lower course to the same extent as the syllabus for Mathematics Extension 2. Extension 1 provides the foundation for the topics in Extension 2 and accordingly the Extension 2 students typically perform very well on the Extension 1 paper.)
Hm...I was looking at 3 unit...damn that's why I was a bit off.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
the-derivative said:
With me - Mathematics Extension 2 isn't actually so bad. The course gets interesting (well as interesting as maths can get) and the main trouble for me isn't understanding the concepts - but actually finding the time to consistenly revise.
Qft. Finding the time to revise and the amount of content is the only difficult thing for me so far.

In Year 11 Term 3, I was contemplating heavily on whether I should give 4U a try or not. It took weeks and weeks of hard thinking, advice from fellow BOS'ers and excellent persuasion from my English tutor (Bobness - I'd recommend him to future students!). My results are as follows:

Year 11 Preliminary 3U Ranking: 9/18.

It isn't that great, especially for a school ranked 196th.

Now:

Year 12 HSC 3U Ranking: 3/18.
Year 12 HSC 4U Ranking: 1/8.

The 3U difference is quite a bit, but look at the 4U ranking difference, against all those people who beat me. Like Westpac and ICAS compared, I hate ICAS (consider it 3U lol), and when Westpac arrives (4U :p), it's so much better for me. Maybe I like to do harder questions and concepts.

But yeah, work hard on your year 11 maths kids, as 30% of preliminary content WILL be tested within the HSC. And get advice from EVERYONE, especially your tutors or parents. And if you disagree with them, then just give it a go. There is no harm in trying.

Last edited:

bored.of.u

HSC
Aquawhite said:

ext2 maths is scaled much more higher than ext1 maths and also taking ext2 has more advantages the 4units of ext2 maths comes from 2units of ext1 and 2 units ext2 so all 4 units are scaled highly. on the otherhand if u stick to ext1 only 1 of those units will he highly scaled. so if your good at maths take ext2. thats what i heard =D

dp624

HSC
Yeah, if you're decently good at 3u, do 4u =D
you can cope.
even if you get like 70% raw it's an excellent scaled mark in comparison

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)