4unit maths is so not worth it!! (1 Viewer)

wildtiger

HSC
u know what i reckon?

maths tutoring isn't all that helpful

the time i learn maths the most is when i get off my butt and learn from the textbook myself

not from tutoring

sure, tutoring might give you methods and introduce you to a topic in a very general way, but in the end, the time when i actually LEARN the material is when i do the exercises. thats the most time consuming part anyway =)

so getting a tutor doesnt immediately mean you're going to do well in maths... its the personal effort that counts in the end!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The main way in which tutouring could help is when they teach you different methods, which you may understand better or may be quicker. Such as a locus equidistant from a point and line is a parabola with the point the focus etc.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
no . . . if you haven't noticed, I spend my time getting help in these forums. :) the occasional indulgence, yes, but over 90% is actual study for me in these forums.

ange182003

4 unit is not worth it. I ended spending so much time doing four unit that my other subjects suffered. and you need to do that work just to even try to get a good mark. For 1 extra unit, you have to do atleast double the work of 3 unit.

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Originally posted by ange182003
4 unit is not worth it. I ended spending so much time doing four unit that my other subjects suffered. and you need to do that work just to even try to get a good mark. For 1 extra unit, you have to do atleast double the work of 3 unit.
Yeah that is true...but the rewards are great. :)
I reckon, if u want to do 4U, u have to:
a) be really organised and have superior planning/time management/prioritisation skills, or
b) be really good at cramming :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by overwhelming
well the extra unit is not worth it when you mathematically calculate it.

You spend at least 1/2 of your HSC time on that extra 1unit and therefore you cannot focus on your other subjects.

The scaling advantages/advantages of doing 4unit maths (If any) is not enough to outweigh how time consuming and demanding the subject is.
for all of u arguin against 4u, u obviously have underestimated the potential of 4u or u r not keen in math...

a) hell it got scaled well... dat of which has bein said numerous times, but say one small mistake in 4u means close to nothin, cuz it got scaled so much, 2-3 marks prolly means the difference between 94 and 93... whereas in 2u, nearly every one are gettin 100 99 raw marks... so one slip, u r gone... there fore, tis much mroe tirin and effort to do 2u well dan 4u

there is a myth about how 4u is lyk so hard dat no one can comprehend... i was told this way, but i found out this is total rubbish... comparin to some stuff in 3u, i found 4u is actually easier...

b)as some one emntioned, 4u is just the extension of 3u... so while revisin for 4u, u revise 3u simultaneously...

but on the other hand, 4u is for mathematically keen people... so if u r REALLY uncapable of doin it, den u shouldn't ... scale well doesn't mean if u get 10% for u raw mark, u get E4...

just thought u might want to know, i dind't study dat much in 4u and i still got E4... it isn't hard at all... an inaddition, wifout doin 4u, i prolly won't get as great marks for other subjects... dun ask me to prove it, cuz i just feel dat way...

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AK Gumbi
Yeah that is true...but the rewards are great. :)
I reckon, if u want to do 4U, u have to:
a) be really organised and have superior planning/time management/prioritisation skills, or
b) be really good at cramming :p
nah, i am the worst organiser eva... i ended up forgettin sendin my eas form, cuz of my organisation skill...

and i dun fink crammin is the best idea... i dun c wut u should cram ... cuz the questions will be different and they provide the formula sheet...

altho, after lyk a number applications of the formula, it does cum out of ur head...

enter~space~cap

{Enter-Space-Capsule}
this is what happened to my sister..
she did fully crap in all of her subjects, like she got bands 3 and 4....

but then she got band 6 in both three and four unit maths (she passed the 95/100 mark for the entire course).

the result of that was that it got her a good 95.85........so u tell me if its worth it or not.....

she spent most of her time on maths, yes that is true and she didnt give a rats arse on any other subject except for maths. But who cares, id kill for 90 uai, let alone 95.85.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
i'll say this again the 4u scaled marks is derived from the difference between the performance of 2/3u students on the common 3u paper.
I don't even think that's correct. UAC has their little system which is bloody hard to explain. It's an iterative method after a while they come up with scaling, based on everyone's performance in all of their subjects. The basic idea behind it is that everyone will generally perform equally in all of their subjects. And the numbers are so large that it's a good method.
You're both correct.

The scaled means and standard deviations for all base 2U courses are calculated according to the ability of the candidature, as KeypadSDM said. (It's no longer an entirely iterative procedure though; they use matrices now.)

The scaled means and standard deviations for Extension courses are calculated according to the performance of that candidature on the lower common paper. For Maths Extension 2, the scaling is determined by the performance of all Extension 2 candidates on the Extension 1 paper.

The first process places marks in the base 2U courses on the same scale; the second places marks in Extension courses on the same scale as the marks in the corresponding base 2U course (which, in turn, places them on the same scale as all of the other base 2U courses).

Originally posted by ange182003
For 1 extra unit, you have to do atleast double the work of 3 unit.
It's not just "for 1 extra unit". Taking on the Extension 2 course instantly doubles the value of your Extension 1 mark (by making that component worth 2 units), and provides the same bonus again by making the Extension 2 component worth the other 2 units.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hear hear! see "god" manifest himself in all his glory! Listen to his wise words of advice...he knows his shit (to put it very elegantly)

hehehe :D

overwhelming

okay fine. If you guys rkn selecting 4unit will be advantageous for your chances of earning the maximum possible UAI, then please go for it!

By all means!!!

nerdd

haha 4 unit was bludy worth it. i thought it wasn't but it was! (especially on dec 19)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
why'd you start this topic anyway? esp in the extension 2 forums, i mean, we are all going to obviously be against your idea, see'ing as we all do extension 2 maths.

btw, there is a list of people who got a UAI of 100 in 2002, and what subjects they did with the marks they achieved. Go and check it out, I think you'll see a few people with extension 2 maths. :rolleyes: so getting high marks with extension 2 maths isn't impossible. :rolleyes:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
OMG... guardian, 5:37am?? did u not sleep or just wake up earlie??

lolz, 4u studnet can go days and nites arguin how 4u is betta, while those who fink tis nto worth it can do the opposite days and nitez...

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
ah! Nah, i wake up early, thats all. I hafta pray before sunrise, and nowadays its summer so the days are longer. Sunrise is approx 6 (is it 6? around that) but we pray around 5.

And no, i wasn't studying 4 unit maths.

Was thinking about it, but its Eid today. (Eid is one of the two big celebrations for Muslims) hehe, thats why im not at school. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)