5s or S4 (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Help dont know what phone to get, but I'm leaning towards S4 because of display size.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Neither.

HTC One.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
iphone allllllllll the way, but you're going to be stuck on the 5s cycle, doubt you're getting iphone 6 next year

Randox

HSC
N/A
5S. Friends brand new s4 lags lol. If you like a bigger screen I would recommend a nexus which runs smoothly on pure android. Personally the iPhones 4 inch screen is big enough for me.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
5S. My company phone is up for renewal (yay time to get rid of my stupid Blackberry) so will go 5S when it launches. Besides, can use same cables/chargers as my personal phone (5).

Tried using Android when a mate lent me his Note 2 but really wasn't a fan of the UI.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
5S. My company phone is up for renewal (yay time to get rid of my stupid Blackberry) so will go 5S when it launches. Besides, can use same cables/chargers as my personal phone (5).

Tried using Android when a mate lent me his Note 2 but really wasn't a fan of the UI.
I think once you get used to using Andriod phones and their noticeably larger displays, when it comes to using the iPhone again, the screen becomes so small.

ebbygoo

HSC
I think once you get used to using Andriod phones and their noticeably larger displays, when it comes to using the iPhone again, the screen becomes so small.
Can second this. My mum asked me to type a message for her the other day, took ages, kept hitting wrong keys :( Used to type at like 40wpm on that thing lol

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
a phone is a phone, I dont want to carry a massive 5-6 inch phone in my pocket, i'd say iphone is the optimal size

and I'm not sure what it is with android but no matter how fast their phones are, quad core, 8 core or whatever, it always has that weird android lag.. really hard to explain it

Jikky

HSC
HTC One. Smaller than a GS4, sexier than an iPhone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just feels 'too big'. I actually find the 4" optimal at the moment for my purposes as I have an iPad and a ultraportable laptop for work and consuming larger documents. My phone is really just for quick emails/texts/etc.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
a phone is a phone, I dont want to carry a massive 5-6 inch phone in my pocket, i'd say iphone is the optimal size

and I'm not sure what it is with android but no matter how fast their phones are, quad core, 8 core or whatever, it always has that weird android lag.. really hard to explain it
As far as I'm aware it's due to the separation of hardware and software design. Apple have an advantage in this sense because they have the same company making their phones and making their operating systems. That and they only have to make it to spec for like, what? 6 devices at a time? They don't need to make some choppy OS that has to work for *lots* of devices with a heap of different hardware specs.

I'd probably never buy anything other than an iPhone. The only time I would is very maybe a Windows Phone of some sort now that MSFT owns Nokia. Even then it depends on how they run with that.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I'm aware it's due to the separation of hardware and software design. Apple have an advantage in this sense because they have the same company making their phones and making their operating systems. That and they only have to make it to spec for like, what? 6 devices at a time? They don't need to make some choppy OS that has to work for *lots* of devices with a heap of different hardware specs.

I'd probably never buy anything other than an iPhone. The only time I would is very maybe a Windows Phone of some sort now that MSFT owns Nokia. Even then it depends on how they run with that.
Trust me, dont get a windows phone, the interface is terrible.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Doesn't really change anything to be honest.
This. If you have any warranty issue they will likely surface early, and if not it's probably too late for it to be covered anyway. Won't even have to rely on HTC for updates if you turn to stock android or a custom rom either.

5S. Friends brand new s4 lags lol. If you like a bigger screen I would recommend a nexus which runs smoothly on pure android. Personally the iPhones 4 inch screen is big enough for me.
Importing an S4 Google Edition or putting on a custom ROM would remedy this. I personally think it's a non issue, my Nexus 4 has never lagged and my old iphone 4 did all the time. To be fair my iphone 4 was jailbroken which is likely the cause but I didn't put a heap of crap on it (pretty much only had some emulators). On that topic, Nexus 4's are a complete bargain now if you can do without LTE - were always cheap but now they are another $100 cheaper.

Trust me, dont get a windows phone, the interface is terrible.
Well interface is really subjective and the iOS 7 interface is heavily influenced by WP8 and the later incarnations of android. Even though a lot of people like a good out of the box experience (in which case Android probably isn't the best option) it's not fair to judge the android interface off TouchWiz anyway, you aren't stuck with the manafacturers skin or stock feel either. Android is highly customisable and a lot of that doesn't require root or custom roms either.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
True, but I think one thing I've realised with BYOD in a lot of organisations now (and even if you want to join some school/university networks) is that they prohibit use of any kind of custom or unofficial firmware other than what the manufacturers shipped the device with. There are always ways around it and who's to say they will even know, but I'm too lazy to muck around nowadays. Back when I was younger and had my s60 phones and even my Palm, I'd spend all day and night trying to muck around with it and tinker with things... but now I just like things to work out of the box and I'm willing to concede on customisation/flexibility/cost in exchange for it just working from day 1 without me having to worry.

That being said, if I had more time then I'd probably consider an Android device and muck around with it a lot but for the time being I'm happy with the simplicity of living in the slightly-more-expensive Apple ecosystem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)