98+ w/o Tutoring (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
Just wondering...

how many of you have tutors?

for people who've done their hsc - did you have a tutor? do you think it helped?
if you got above 98 - did u have a tutor?

i'm aware a lot of ppl do get great marks without tutors

but i wanted to know how big a difference it makes?

does it dramatically improve chances of a higher (98+) uai?

i'm not seriously lagging in any of my subjects though i could use a bit of help in maths...i should be able to manage on my own. i do fair nicely...normally average - above average...but most of my grade tutors for at least one subject and i find that kinda intimidating...

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
^
omg

i tried tuition for 3months for english (cause i can apply for ESL but choose not to),

then my rank fall by 59 places.. =(, then i quit and i rise by 49

& i had no other tuition experience watsoever

that says something. =@

_

althou i am not doing as fab as the two above, i am confident of a good uai (unless i bombed out)

will wait and see

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Theres generally 2 kinds of tutors

1) You are totally crapass at something and wish to improve on your current results. Therefore you hire a tutor.
2) You want some extra work to get ahead of everyone else and you want to hire a tutor to help you to achieve that extra headstart.

Personally i got a math tutor that accelerates me, and i love doing it. And all the tricks and extra work he gives me does help alot in school (i go to a comprehensive high school). I also have a english tutor which help me improve in vocabulary and writing skills. I can significantly see my essay writing skills improved alot over the last year. However, having a tutor does automatically boost your results. You need to be willing to put in the effort into the extra works that are given to you. Its good to have tutors but it's not wise to over do it.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
None of the girls in my year who will get 98+ have tutors (that I'm aware of).

gigi31

im a yobbo
HSC
hmm well im at a selective school
i do artsy humanities subjects
pretty much topping everything
and i have never tutored in my life

mind you - in year 9 and 10 when i did maths and science i was pretty ordinary and if i had chosen to do them in years 11 and 12 (not that i ever would) i definitely would have got tutoring

but the bottom line is - im pretty sure i will get a very high uai with zero tutoring

rama_v

HSC
Its possible. There are people who get 100 UAI with no tutoring. I never got tutoring either.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
gigi31 said:
hmm well im at a selective school
i do artsy humanities subjects
pretty much topping everything
and i have never tutored in my life

mind you - in year 9 and 10 when i did maths and science i was pretty ordinary and if i had chosen to do them in years 11 and 12 (not that i ever would) i definitely would have got tutoring

but the bottom line is - im pretty sure i will get a very high uai with zero tutoring
That's confident :p

beverly-manago

HSC
Likewise, I was curious as to whether or not there were any differences with the marks received by those with tutoring, and without tutoring. Although, I guess it would be dependent on the individual, and whether or not they exert themselves, I was just wondering how large or small the discrepancy was.

I just find it rather intimidating when you come across an individual who is tutored for majority of their subjects... while in the back of your mind, there's that nagging thought, of "oh jeez. Boy, am I screwed."

Naylyn

HSC
I'm pretty sure that I will get over 95 and if I do as well as I'm able I'll get 98.
That said I might have been able to get 99+ if I had got english tutouring...

vman123abc

HSC
I went to a non - selective school and got a 2011 ATAR of 99.75 without tutoring, and the four people who beat me (all of whom got 99.95) didn't have tutors either. So yes, it is possible to do well without tutors, however i do know some people who benefited greatly from them.

Dylanamali

HSC
I went to a non - selective school and got a 2011 ATAR of 99.75 without tutoring, and the four people who beat me (all of whom got 99.95) didn't have tutors either. So yes, it is possible to do well without tutors, however i do know some people who benefited greatly from them.
non-selective school with 4 99.95's and a 99.75??
what school? and if not selective then must be private and still top 10.

nazfiz

HSC
You'll only need tutors when your teachers can't teach. Unfortunately a lot of government schools are declining in teacher quality.

vman123abc

HSC
yes it was private, not sure about the ranking though, we had one other .75'er and a lot scattered in the mid to low 99's. It was a very strong year

1st in Business

HSC
i had a mentor, that helped heaps. Im sure not many of my teachers expected 95+, considering i went to a school ranked 170 something, but having a mentor maximised my atar and i got 99.7, and a first in state for business :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)