99.95 ATAR aim (1 Viewer)

mozy

HSC
Hey!!
I did those subjects and I scored decently overall :)
PM me for advice!

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
I think it's admirable that you've decided to truly dedicate yourself towards a goal. A lot of people casually say they're 'aiming for 99.95' but it's clear it's said for conversation's sake rather than earnest. From your few posts, I don't think you fit into that category of people. I for one hardly did any work during any of the holidays in Year 12 [except for the break right before the HSC], but here you are blasting away, haha.

Here's a question that you have to ask yourself:
Why? What reason do you need 99.95?

Diminishing returns kicks in when your ATAR approaches 99.95. It's quite easy to hit 99+ ATAR without doing much work, but aiming for 99.95 is another story. At 99.95, you have to prepare yourself for circumstance and remove as much chance as possible. This implies that you MUST COVER EVERYTHING.

Covering everything thoroughly is an enormous commitment. If you truly follow through with it, you will make sacrifices in other aspects of your life. Social. Emotional. Spiritual, even. All your growth will be academically geared. Unfortunately, that is the only path to aiming for 99.95 ATAR, achieving it, and saying that 'this percentile is representative of my efforts, and not of chance and circumstance.'

In Year 12, many students turn 18. They start to mature as people. They learn about life, people, who they are and values they might hold for the rest of their lives. Aiming for 99.95 will restrict most of your learning to the textbook form.

I'm not trying to deter you from your aim. Just make sure you can ask yourself why and answer confidently, knowing fully well the implications of such a pursuit.

HSC
I think it's admirable that you've decided to truly dedicate yourself towards a goal. A lot of people casually say they're 'aiming for 99.95' but it's clear it's said for conversation's sake rather than earnest. From your few posts, I don't think you fit into that category of people. I for one hardly did any work during any of the holidays in Year 12 [except for the break right before the HSC], but here you are blasting away, haha.

Diminishing returns kicks in when your ATAR approaches 99.95. It's quite easy to hit 99+ ATAR without doing much work, but aiming for 99.95 is another story. At 99.95, you have to prepare yourself for circumstance and remove as much chance as possible. This implies that you MUST COVER EVERYTHING.

Covering everything thoroughly is an enormous commitment. If you truly follow through with it, you will make sacrifices in other aspects of your life. Social. Emotional. Spiritual, even. All your growth will be academically geared. Unfortunately, that is the only path to aiming for 99.95 ATAR, achieving it, and saying that 'this percentile is representative of my efforts, and not of chance and circumstance.'

In Year 12, many students turn 18. They start to mature as people. They learn about life, people, who they are and values they might hold for the rest of their lives. Aiming for 99.95 will restrict most of your learning to the textbook form.

I'm not trying to deter you from your aim. Just make sure you can ask yourself why and answer confidently, knowing fully well the implications of such a pursuit.
Um...nope.

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
Um...nope.
Well relative to going for a 99.95.
A person with creativity and logic can pull off 99+, but they're going to have to go above and beyond in terms of work if aim to pull off 99.95.

gahyunkk

HSC

Agree:)

NWO

HSC
Good luck with that! Just keep making notes everyday and revise through it.

study1234

HSC

Too trueee

Triage

HSC
N/A
Even though I haven't been posting on this, it is not through motivation just dropping off after 1 day lol, I am just not sure that posting every single day would be beneficial or conducive to 'pacing myself.'

So far these holiday's I have done a good amount of complex numbers study (an hour odd a day for 5 days a week) and feel like I am getting really good at the straight question. I understand that if you could answer this question it would basically be the holy grail of 4 unit maths but I was wondering from anyone who has done ext 2, how do you go about getting better at the difficult questions? As in the questions that do not just require repetition and good basic understanding but the questions that require a real logical insight.

Chemistry I have finished polishing up my notes on the acidic environment (my school did this first) and have started on the production of materials (only about 1000 words of notes in). Acidic environment notes are good and I am now working on doing past trial and HSC questions which, more than anything, have sparked me to do some further investigation. As a piece of advice that I have picked up for other year 12's, when people say to you 'think critically about the stuff to gain a deep understanding,' my experience has been that doing harder level questions can be an entry point to this. Thanks to Ahmad's notes and the students guide to hsc chemistry.

Economics I am about half way through notes on topic 2 - Australia's place in the global economy. Probably being a bit short sighted of me, I haven't spent any time really consolidating topic 1 because my mid year exam (next assessment for economics that is 10 weeks into the term) is only on topic 2. I bought kiwi703's economics notes and they are really very very good. I have almost been using them as my primary reference although I am trying to use textbooks as well lol. Great after purchase service as well.

English I have just started working on my imaginative due at the start of term and thanks to kiraken for giving me direction on that. Very kind of Kiraken to be helping out and giving good advice. Also in English, I'm trying not to be short sighted and have been working on a belonging essay even though it is not until the trial that it will been needed. I would also recommend doing this because it will consolidate your understanding of the AOS and you will have an essay to work on remembering/adapting when the time comes so you have time to study for other things (modules or other subjects).

Pretty long post, thanks to everyone for support and advice. When used in moderation BoredOfStudies is a very useful website.

HSC
N/A
Even though I haven't been posting on this, it is not through motivation just dropping off after 1 day lol, I am just not sure that posting every single day would be beneficial or conducive to 'pacing myself.'

So far these holiday's I have done a good amount of complex numbers study (an hour odd a day for 5 days a week) and feel like I am getting really good at the straight question. I understand that if you could answer this question it would basically be the holy grail of 4 unit maths but I was wondering from anyone who has done ext 2, how do you go about getting better at the difficult questions? As in the questions that do not just require repetition and good basic understanding but the questions that require a real logical insight.

Chemistry I have finished polishing up my notes on the acidic environment (my school did this first) and have started on the production of materials (only about 1000 words of notes in). Acidic environment notes are good and I am now working on doing past trial and HSC questions which, more than anything, have sparked me to do some further investigation. As a piece of advice that I have picked up for other year 12's, when people say to you 'think critically about the stuff to gain a deep understanding,' my experience has been that doing harder level questions can be an entry point to this. Thanks to Ahmad's notes and the students guide to hsc chemistry.

Economics I am about half way through notes on topic 2 - Australia's place in the global economy. Probably being a bit short sighted of me, I haven't spent any time really consolidating topic 1 because my mid year exam (next assessment for economics that is 10 weeks into the term) is only on topic 2. I bought kiwi703's economics notes and they are really very very good. I have almost been using them as my primary reference although I am trying to use textbooks as well lol. Great after purchase service as well.

English I have just started working on my imaginative due at the start of term and thanks to kiraken for giving me direction on that. Very kind of Kiraken to be helping out and giving good advice. Also in English, I'm trying not to be short sighted and have been working on a belonging essay even though it is not until the trial that it will been needed. I would also recommend doing this because it will consolidate your understanding of the AOS and you will have an essay to work on remembering/adapting when the time comes so you have time to study for other things (modules or other subjects).

Pretty long post, thanks to everyone for support and advice. When used in moderation BoredOfStudies is a very useful website.
Hi Triage. Good luck with your aim. Here is a thread that I wrote on how I studied for my HSC

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A

With the amount of determination and effort u put in in the holidays, I'm sure you'll get 99.95!
What do u want to study at uni?
I'm aiming for 99.95 as well but my I'll be doing my HSC in 2016.
Good luck and I hope u get a state ranking :)

Triage

HSC
N/A
With the amount of determination and effort u put in in the holidays, I'm sure you'll get 99.95!
What do u want to study at uni?
I'm aiming for 99.95 as well but my I'll be doing my HSC in 2016.
Good luck and I hope u get a state ranking :)
haha, yeah 99.95 would be good. I'm not really sure what I want to do at uni tbh, my motivation comes more from my desire to follow through with something big for the first time in my life.

Also, I haven't actually put in that much work these holidays, really it's about doing something every day as opposed to big amounts. I have found that as long as I sit down at my desk every day and work on something then my interest will be sparked and I will achieve a bit.

Hombad

HSC
haha, yeah 99.95 would be good. I'm not really sure what I want to do at uni tbh, my motivation comes more from my desire to follow through with something big for the first time in my life.

Also, I haven't actually put in that much work these holidays, really it's about doing something every day as opposed to big amounts. I have found that as long as I sit down at my desk every day and work on something then my interest will be sparked and I will achieve a bit.
Keep doing that and you'll be fine - don't stress and be happy :)

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
With ATAR's out and now exactly a year until they are out again, it seems fitting to start my 99.95 journal (I was also inspired by the aero2146 thread). I do Chemistry, Economics, Advanced English and 3 + 4 unit Maths.

So far these holidays I have been working on finishing my notes on module 1 for chemistry, making notes on my next module for economics and doing past hsc papers and trial exams questions on complex numbers.

I'm not really a fan of writing those big shopping lists of things I'm going to do because I just want to keep it simple and make sure I can do everything I do at a high level rather than spreading myself too thin so to speak.

Anyway, I suppose this is just a procrastination attempt but I will be pretty happy if this translates into 99.95 now I have some weak form of online accountability.

Weak sig! Get rid of your 'reasonable aim' and shoot for the stars. Good luck :)

Triage

HSC
N/A
Haven't been on this thread for a while.

All hope is not lost post half yearlies and first assessments.

At the moment I am predicted 99.25 and am still extremely motivated and working hard. Reading through this thread I have realised the advice in some ways has been prophetic to my experience. The thing I am particularly carrying at the moment is that it is not about long laborious, boring study sessions. I find that the best work is done when it doesn't feel like study. When you sit down and don't notice the time going by and think to yourself, I am really interested in this, you get a lot done.

I am not sure if this is the experience of all 99+ but I think that through the week there is a rotation of which subject is my favourite.

3 hours on Hamlet and I can't think about anything except Hamlet. Same with conic sections or the Haber process or cost push and demand pull inflation.

Good luck to everyone else with an HSC journal, cheers for everyones help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)