99 uai still possible? (1 Viewer)

wLym

HSC
Just today I found out what i want to do at uni, and shock horror....99+ UAI. Im worried that with my english ranking pulling me down, i aint gonna make it. Currently coming about 8th out of 22. Any thoughts? If i dont get a band 6 UAI for my english, am i gonna miss out on the 99? Im sure about a band 5, but uncertain about scraping a band 6. Any thoughts?!.........?!

HSC
wLym said:
Just today I found out what i want to do at uni, and shock horror....99+ UAI. Im worried that with my english ranking pulling me down, i aint gonna make it. Currently coming about 8th out of 22. Any thoughts? If i dont get a band 6 UAI for my english, am i gonna miss out on the 99? Im sure about a band 5, but uncertain about scraping a band 6. Any thoughts?!.........?!
ohhh, ahaha, i just got your username. wLym = william. lol.

wLym

HSC
ChockoRepublic said:
ohhh, ahaha, i just got your username. wLym = william. lol.
hehe....but do u get my question too?

=(

HSC
well, a 99+ uai is a pretty mammoth feet. you really need to work your ass off for it. would you be able to provide me with your rank for each of your subjects, along with the ranking of your school?

HSC
Rebekkie said:
to get above 99, you bacially have to get a band 6 in top ten counted units. so yes, you'll need one for eng.
rebekkie, you are correct my dear.

Yamiyo

HSC
No, you don't need a band 6 in English if you're doing excellently in your other subjects, but of course, the closer the better.

HSC
Yamiyo said:
No, you don't need a band 6 in English if you're doing excellently in your other subjects, but of course, the closer the better.
yamiyo my child, you do in fact need a band 6 in each of your subjects to achieve a UAI of 99+, english included.

wLym

HSC
Well, heres the scenario: If i work hard, im pretty sure i can pop out a band 6 in my externals. Im just worried about what i will get stuck with due to my poor ranking. I came 1st in english for prelim, so im fairly confident for my externals..........

my other ranks:
chem: 1st
phys: 1st
maths 3U: 2nd
maths 4U: 1st
business studies: 1st
ENGLISH: 8th =( =( =( =(

Im not sure about the ranking of my school to be honest, and yes, im too lazy to look it up. What i know is that our school performs pretty well each year, we got three 99+ UAIs last year, so our school ranking im guessing, its pretty sound.

HSC
wLym said:
Well, heres the scenario: If i work hard, im pretty sure i can pop out a band 6 in my externals. Im just worried about what i will get stuck with due to my poor ranking. I came 1st in english for prelim, so im fairly confident for my externals..........

my other ranks:
chem: 1st
phys: 1st
maths 3U: 2nd
maths 4U: 1st
business studies: 1st
ENGLISH: 8th =( =( =( =(

Im not sure about the ranking of my school to be honest, and yes, im too lazy to look it up. What i know is that our school performs pretty well each year, we got three 99+ UAIs last year, so our school ranking im guessing, its pretty sound.
william my son, your rankings are absolutely amazing, and i congratulate you.

i'd definitely say you have a great shot of 99+ if you smash your externals.

by the way, do you do english standard or advanced?

wLym

HSC
ChockoRepublic said:
william my son, your rankings are absolutely amazing, and i congratulate you.

i'd definitely say you have a great shot of 99+ if you smash your externals.

by the way, do you do english standard or advanced?
Thanks Chocko. Im still suffering paranoia tho...how much do i have to smash:hammer: my externals for this ellusive band 6? Whats the deal with beating someone of higher rank than you in the externals? I still don't get that crap...

I do advanced english. =)

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
ChockoRepublic said:
yamiyo my child, you do in fact need a band 6 in each of your subjects to achieve a UAI of 99+, english included.
nope. i've had a friend get 99.2 with 84 in english and some of the 99'rs at my school last year only got band 5 in english.

HSC
Rageeb said:
nope. i've had a friend get 99.2 with 84 in english and some of the 99'rs at my school last year only got band 5 in english.
wow, i stand corrected. what school do you attend?

HSC
wLym said:
Thanks Chocko. Im still suffering paranoia tho...how much do i have to smash:hammer: my externals for this ellusive band 6? Whats the deal with beating someone of higher rank than you in the externals? I still don't get that crap...

I do advanced english. =)
just keep at the rate you're at now. score the same marks and you should secure it. just do better in english if you can.

wLym

HSC
Rageeb said:

^
l
l
l
l
I like the sound of this :read:

jannny

HSC
its better to think that u wont make it, so you will try harder and thus get a higher mark.

sometimes thinking negatively helps =)

wLym

HSC
kk. Tho I should probably see the careers guy again at school before i get too psyched out. There's probably some alternate ways into my course based on the fact i do related science subjects....
One last query: is it worth dropping business to get an edge in my preparation for the hsc? I dont know what i was thinking doing 12 units to start with... =(

tahlsy31191

HSC
By boyfriend got 99.20 last year and he got a band 5 in English (89)
But he got
Chem - 96
Physic- 91
2 unit maths - 93
3 unit maths - 48/50
PE - 98 (2nd in the state)
Bio - 94

So you will have to work your arse off to get that mark, although a high band 5 should be adequate for 99+

Note: my school is ranked 200 and something.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
It's impossible for us to comment really...

We don't know how strong your cohort is, which is very influential in terms of scaling, as well as your marks for English, and other subjects' marks + ranks...

in the end, you just have to do your best

Of course you could do famously in other subjects and get a high Band 5 for English and still get that but, hard to say, hard to say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)