A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrassed? (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Re: A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrass

A better and more realistic comparison would be two HD, perfect students from UWS and UNSW, applying for a job at an accounting firm,maybe PWC, Ernst and Young. Who would YOU pick, if you were an employer, and you wanted someone who could give you the best results possible? I would pick UNSW.

The applicant with more proven and distinguishable experience, more extra-curricular activites and achievements in said activities, and the candidate that has better communication skills and adaptability as well as being a seemingly better fit into my organisation's culture.

I wouldn't hire someone just because they went to a Go8 uni.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrass

You should really go to the shittest possible uni you can find imo, fvck USYD and UNSW.

Examine

same
HSC

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC

inb4 'i'm doing crap in my MQ subs halfway through sem2 due to personal reasons'

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad

What's with people always saying "oohhh no one would take a USYD/UNSW student with credits over a UWS/UTS kids with HIGH DISTINCTIONS XDD"
That is a bad comparison, and it is unrealistic in the majority of students that go to both uni's.
If you are going to the top 2 unis in NSW meaning you got an atar in the 90's, the majority will be doing quite well. Also, i'm pretty sure that UNSW/USYD grade on a bellcurve, unlike the other universities, which give HD/D's to anyone who does good. Thus, it will be harder to do good in those Uni's and perhaps the kid getting HD's at UNSW would trully be the cream of the crop, unlike the UWS student who isn't in competing against anyone due to the lack of bellcurve grading.
A better and more realistic comparison would be two HD, perfect students from UWS and UNSW, applying for a job at an accounting firm,maybe PWC, Ernst and Young. Who would YOU pick, if you were an employer, and you wanted someone who could give you the best results possible? I would pick UNSW.
I would pick the one who performed well in the interview (interpersonal skills) and had a better 'profile' in terms of extra-curricular work. I went to the USYD opening day, and it appeared that 'most' of the students lacked personality and social skills.
Just to add, getting a HD at UTS or anywhere else is not easy. Tutors don't make easy and their marking/class marks are scaled to ensure fairness across the board (within the uni).

Last edited:

lee337

HSC
Uni Grad

so much hate negativity and pointless posts. Close thread.
Pointless posts everywhere. Come at me brahh.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

I would pick the one who performed well in the interview (interpersonal skills) and had a better 'profile' in terms of extra-curricular work. I went to the USYD opening day, and it appeared that 'most' of the students lacked personality and social skills.
Just to add, getting a HD at UTS or anywhere else is not easy. Tutors don't make easy and their marking/class marks are scaled to ensure fairness across the board (within the uni).
student standards at USYD would be higher than at UTS, with scaling a HD at USYD would be harder than a HD at UTS

sghguos

HSC
N/A

*close thread*

for the last time.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Just because you go to USYD or UNSW doesn't guarantee you a job.
FTFY.

To be honest sghguos, you have made a shit effort if doing well at university and it's not doing you any good. You deny what everyone tells you when it's the truth because all you want to hear is what you want.

Face the truth or don't ask questions.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

student standards at USYD would be higher than at UTS, with scaling a HD at USYD would be harder than a HD at UTS
That would be sound logic if UTS scaled marks in all subjects to a bell curve. Unfortunately scaling at UTS is up to the subject coordinator, but a comittee do look at the distribution of grades to make sure too many people aren't getting HDs and what not. Unfortunately a lot of engineering subject coordinators just don't scale at all, particularly the ones from overseas. Usually those same coordinators don't push people up to passes and don't offer supplementary exams either. Don't get me wrong, I do think HDs would be a bit harder in most cases university wide at Usyd or UNSW compared to UTS but I don't the difference would be as pronounced as you think.

The uni had to change subject coordinators a couple of years ago for "Introduction to Electrical Engineering" because the coordinator despite being a good lecturer (he was English iirc) was setting ruthless exams and not scaling leading to a failure rate well over 50% for a first year subject. They moved him to later subjects haha. The hardest subject at UTS is supposedly "Circuit Analysis", i've heard 70% failure rate or higher.

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

Rectanglor

HSC

I don't feel 'ashamed' of going to MQ; in fact, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind before reading this thread. For my degree (Ancient History), MQ is pretty great, so I have no problem going there.
If you're going to go to MQ this semester with an elitist attitude, be prepared for some hate.

Rectanglor

HSC

I don't feel 'ashamed' of going to MQ; in fact, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind before reading this thread. For my degree (Ancient History), MQ is pretty great, so I have no problem going there.
If you're going to go to MQ this semester with an elitist attitude, be prepared for some hate.

p3rf3ction

HSC

You are beyond mentally handicapped.

Who do you think you are trying to make students who go to UTS or MQ seem like they're lesser than the norm when you have failed ALL your first year subjects? You are in no position to question whether UTS or MQ students are embarressed. Moreover, your moronic questions about whether or not they hold prestige or not are also questions someone in your shoes shouldn't be asking.

I bet if someone pulled a gun on you in a dark alley you would tell them to STFU or something of the sort considering you have no understanding of positioning.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A

The irony is how the moderators in general, especially "brent012" know exactly what they are talking and are correct. Whereas, some other non-moderators are almost completely clueless and ignorant. You guys are kids, know the actual world and society before commenting and sharing your stupidity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)