A question for all science nerds (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
What are the hardest papers for sciences (Physics, Chemistry or Biology) ? CSSA, Independent, James Ruse etc?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
CSSA are the hardest i've come across.

Independent have some really random questions and some of them are wrong eg H2O does not have a coordinate covalent bond >.>

Haven't done a Ruse paper yet so i can't compare though.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
well i'm no science nerd...but IMO the past HSC papers are the hardest to do =S

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Sadly not smart enough to be a science nerd but CSSA/Ruse Chemistry was hardest for me and HSC/Independent Physics.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I've only done the Preliminary practice papers about 2 each for chem and physics...

I did a CSSA prelim and a ruse chem paper... they were both fairly hard - but got through them.
In physics - Idependent I did in the actual exam which I thought was weak, the CSSA paper was harder.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I've only done the Preliminary practice papers about 2 each for chem and physics...

I did a CSSA prelim and a ruse chem paper... they were both fairly hard - but got through them.
In physics - Idependent I did in the actual exam which I thought was weak, the CSSA paper was harder.
CSSA made prelim papers? Never knew that.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Independent have some really random questions and some of them are wrong eg H2O does not have a coordinate covalent bond >.>

I wouldn't say CSSA is harder, but I think CSSA lacks clarity - which makes it difficult to gain marks. They're too vague in the wording of their question, yet are highly specific in their marking criteria (for example the Ideas to Implementation question in this year's paper).

With most subjects however, the variations in difficulty cannot be that great, because most questions are based on the syllabus points anyway - and there's only so many ways you can manipulate a syllabus point.

Btw - I'm not a science nerd. I only do one science and I enjoy my social sciences more.

shady145

Banned
HSC
in ruse papers ive found, the value of marks for each question are very low, so it just takes longer to finish than normal

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
This year's:
CSSA Phys- not difficult
Independent Chem (I didn't have any chance to look at the options and so just the core + the paper I saw could have been edited before) - Not difficult and there was a 5 marker question that is partly out of the syllabus.
Exam choice Phys - I didn't see this paper but I am pretty sure that my teachers got superconducting disk question from it (which, IMO, is out of the syllabus). Can't comment any more on this paper though.

But generally Independent>CSSA (prob because independent makes papers for money)
and NEAP is not bad. Exam choice- can't comment on it due to lack of exposure to their papers.

Last edited:

azza1203

HSC
QATS papers are the hardest all the questions range in the band 5 to 6

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
CSSA made prelim papers? Never knew that.
Well the teachers say they buy the 'catholic schools' paper or 'independent paper' and then either use the whole thing or edit it in some parts...

I assume that catholic schools paper = CSSA.

toadcat

HSC
NEAP are good for practice, same with Grammar trials simply because they're quite easily and straight forward, without the vague wording that is so common in CSSA exams. However they still suffer from the 'mystery' marking scheme where if you miss out on a random thing they wanted in the answer - bad luck.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC

Why do independant papers say that!! It drives me insane!!

And for Bio and Chem I'd say that independant is the hardest (but they usually have a fair few wrong answers too for some reason??).

4theHSC

HSC
I would say independent for the sciences... although this year I felt that independent for maths was also harder

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Why do independant papers say that!! It drives me insane!!

And for Bio and Chem I'd say that independant is the hardest (but they usually have a fair few wrong answers too for some reason??).
Yeah it really gets on my nerves too. I mean, if they're getting paid for it they should be doing a thorough job!

I would say independent for the sciences... although this year I felt that independent for maths was also harder
I agree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)