• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A Question of Legality. (1 Viewer)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Why should there be no awards for under-18s?
The minimum wage is already very very low.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Rorix said:
Dear law students,

If we start a new news and politics forum that only allows informed comment, are we discriminating based on intelligence? And if so, is this illegal?

More to the point, should we care?
Yes i would say its discrimination, but whether its illegal or just immoral and unethical is questionable

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
even if u did do it, i should come to bring u refreshments.

i did legal studies at school, im smart

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Estel said:
Why should there be no awards for under-18s?
The minimum wage is already very very low.
Why shouldn't there? The minimum wage exists for people who need to support themselves and their families. A removal of the award for kids will pretty much erase youth unemployment, which at the moment is rather high.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
It's not bloody illegal
If it is not stated in an obvious way, im sure you can find loopholes. As there are many groups that discriminat on some basis or other. Uni for instance requires ppl to achieve a certain UAI or fulfill other criteria, professional bodies also have entry requirements. Even at a specific Fastfood place, ppl applying for a job need to be able to do maths in their head to give ppl change, therefore discriminating against those that arnt able to do so

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
No it just isn't plain illegal. Anything is legal unless prohibited. So you have to find me the authority which in any way prohibits exclusion of people from a website based on intelligence. The discrimination acts in no possible way cover that sort of thing. It's mainly about race, sexuality and disability. Let alone the fact that this is a private space on the internet where exclusion of members at the discretion of the owners/administrators would be a precondition to sign-up or in the terms of use.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
No it just isn't plain illegal. Anything is legal unless prohibited. So you have to find me the authority which in any way prohibits exclusion of people from a website based on intelligence. The discrimination acts in no possible way cover that sort of thing. It's mainly about race, sexuality and disability. Let alone the fact that this is a private space on the internet where exclusion of members at the discretion of the owners/administrators would be a precondition to sign-up or in the terms of use.
Yeah, I originally thought you were saying that its illegal to discriminate on that basis, sorry my mistake

Estel

Tutor
HSC
neo_o said:
Why shouldn't there? The minimum wage exists for people who need to support themselves and their families. A removal of the award for kids will pretty much erase youth unemployment, which at the moment is rather high.
What? By making it unviable to hire anyone BUT a youth? Those people "who need to support themselves and their families" who happen to be unskilled and do jobs youths could do are gone. The lowest awards are at like $3.30 an hour. If you believe removing the awards is going to decrease unemployment, we can make the inference you believe removing awards is going to cause a decrease in wages.

You can use economic rationalism to justify whatever you want, but I don't think many youths would want a system, nor would it be fair to have such a system, where the very bare minimum safety net - $3.30 - is removed. (And there may be lower awards, but that was the lowest I found on a quick search on Wagenet).

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your intent, so I'll wait for a reply...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Sure it is.
note that white is far more effective in concealing things since the layout change
(Lrnu vg jbexf jryy jvgu pbybhe ohg fgvyy vs lbh ernyyl jnag gb uvqr fbzrguvat)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Xayma said:
(Lrnu vg jbexf jryy jvgu pbybhe ohg fgvyy vs lbh ernyyl jnag gb uvqr fbzrguvat)
Get out of town yeah, this is rather good eh

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Pardon? I just read that as gibberish Gur orfg guvat nobhg EBG13 vf gung zbfg arjof jbhyqag unir n pyhr ubj gb ernq vg jurernf gurl zvtug fghzoyr hcba pbybhe

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I should add that the best solution is to block people for quality control. I'm working on getting half of this board blocked, wish me luck.

Rorix

HSC
neo_o i have a list of members, msn me for it:)

PS GET YOUR MINIMUM WAGE DISCUSSION OUT OF MY THREAD

Rorix

HSC
Comrade nathan said:
That would leave you out.

ps i know he has blocked him, but seriously when has he ever contributed anything worth while? I couldn't see him lasting long in a elite news and politics board.

come on now good comrade, my reasonable ability with the english language already qualifies me for the new board

besides, i started the whole invisible text gimmick, from that i get memembership to every forum on BoS, even the mod batcave (o shit wasn't supposed to mention that one).

Jonathan A

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
From what i've learnt from torts law as long as the forum doesn't make anyone fall over its fine.

hhahaha

if we do exlcude someone and reason that they are dumb, it could very well lead to defamation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)