A question of mortality (1 Viewer)

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
[citation needed]
well, over the course we wouldn't knowhow a brain works over a million years.
But during a normal human lifetime our core neural pathways become so entrenched and reinforced with the reasoning slash unconscious thought that we've undergone, that it becomes almost impossible for many older people to learn new skills inntake indepth knowledge on a subject. For most of us, our neural pathways begin to decay in our early 30s/

Neuroplasticity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
But you said that we never age during the one million years.

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
i would assume, in this case then, that the brain loses flexibility based on the information it retains rather than age we pass though.

ANYWAY back to the question at hand /subjectchange

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
So really it was a hypothesis, since there is no possible way (yet) to know whether a brain has information limits if it and the body does not decay.

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
ok i'll give you that. no way to find out unless you took an immortality potion. but i'd wanted to steer away from the science/semantics of it all and just concentrate on the philosophy:

would the world mean anything if you had seen it every day for one million years? would you no longer fear death after your, i suppose, 'sentence' was up?

Juliaan

HSC
Hypothetical (1),

Youre stuck in a house burning on fire, you would feel the pain and have the scars of the 3rd degree burns and then have to live through it.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
if i was the only being to which this 1 million years was granted, i'd probs consider death. live in heaven for eternity, rather than earth or wherever for a million years. HOWEVER, were i able to get some other people into the million years bandwagon, i'd hang around with them.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
if i was the only being to which this 1 million years was granted, i'd probs consider death. live in heaven for eternity, rather than earth or wherever for a million years. HOWEVER, were i able to get some other people into the million years bandwagon, i'd hang around with them.
God, imagine how sick of them you'd get. I get bored of a particular person's company after spending a day with them. Imagine a million years.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
i wouldn't spend a million years with them. i imagine i'd swim around in space for a little while without them. but we need some form of human interaction otherwise what's the point? we'd go crazy. some people go crazy after a week alone imagine a million years!

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
i wouldn't spend a million years with them. i imagine i'd swim around in space for a little while without them. but we need some form of human interaction otherwise what's the point? we'd go crazy. some people go crazy after a week alone imagine a million years!
Meet new people. Shag them repeatedly. Then just wait 'til they die and you'll never have to deal with them again. Problem solved.

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
Death vs Immortality
I choose death.

Death vs A Million Years of Life
I choose life.

First, sell my story of how I can't die for a million years for a load of money.
Second, put this money in a bank.
Third, party like crazy.
Fourth, get wicked smart and invent something I'll be famous for.
Fifth, do mad space missions.
Sixth, continue alternating between Third and Fourth and Fifth.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Become the new astrotheological prophet of the next age (which should be Aquarius), correspondingly gathering followers and writing my own Bible.

This will cement my name in humanity's existence forever. :)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Death vs Immortality
I choose death.

Death vs A Million Years of Life
I choose life.

First, sell my story of how I can't die for a million years for a load of money.
Second, put this money in a bank.
Third, party like crazy.
Fourth, get wicked smart and invent something I'll be famous for.
Fifth, do mad space missions.
Sixth, continue alternating between Third and Fourth and Fifth.
This.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I choose life.

With my million year lifespan I think I would comfortably have time to do pretty much anything and everything I could think of.
-A life of rich experience travel the world/solar system/galaxy, be widely read, meet interesting people, sleep with the hot female interesting people I meet.
-I'd also have time to become an expert at a lot of things. Outliers estimates that it takes 10,000 hours of deliberate practise to become an expert at something - in one million years of just 2 hours practise a day I could therefore become godlike (Beatles, Mozart, Tiger Woods, etc level) at 73,000 skills.
-Power. There'd be enough time to become a captain of industry, a general and president of the world/intergalatic human empire.
-Media empire. Think about the publishing deals, syndicated blogs, documentaries, etc. First hand retelling of events 10,000 years ago. Public speaking circuit - in 1mil years you could accumulate some pretty good anecdotes.

The one no one else has mentioned is that in 1million years it's fair to say that humans would evolve and us 'immortals' would be left behind.... maybe we wouldn't become the ancient all-knowing prophet but would become the very bottom rung of the ladder in a gattaca future?

Last edited:

gurusson

HSC
well, while humanity lived, i would use my years of experience and young, apparently attractive body to seduce women. then after humanity died out, if we have discovered other intelegent life, go live with them. mind oyu, i'm not sure i wouldn't take death. also, postmodern said it used to be rebekkie implying female.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
1 million years to learn learn learn and learn, after you got all the other fun stuff finished with of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)