a SC question ....... (1 Viewer)

hell_escape1

HSC
hello guys .... we were discussing the SC and how important it is .... but i got a question ....

suppose you got band 1 in maths in the SC mathematics exam ..... are you still being able to go for extension 1 maths ( 3 unit ) for year 11 ?????????

ok i understand it is not possible ,but it just a question and many people may be asking the same question .... so you'r not answering me .... you'r answering the community .... :p :rofl2::music::mad1:

FTW

HSC
Yes, if your school allows it, some schools however have limits, like if you do not get a band 5 or 6 you cannot do the classes but I think thats unfair. Although you would have to be pretty mediocre to get a band 1, only like 1% of the state gets a band 1.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
if you get a band 1, and your school still lets you do ext 1, almost anyone on this planet would nevertheless recommend against it. getting band1 is almost impossible in the first place.

so to ACTUALLY answer your question:
blarh. dont get band 1 =P

FTW

HSC
Yes, although the school would definately recommend against it they can't legall stop you :tongue:, however if I were you, I would aim for a mark higher than band 1.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
umm Most schools would recommend a student to NOT do 3 unit maths if they got a Band 1. In saying that, it is very hard to get a band 1 in the SC Maths unless you don't write anything on the test paper. At my school, the people doing General Maths got Band 3's.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The school woud also have the knowledge of the student's school performance to guide them e.g. student gets a B from the school and stuffs a round in the exam and gets a Band 1 then they will probably have already been accepted into 3U.

Remember that the subject choices will have been done long before the actual SC exams are sat and certainly before the results come out so the school's recommendation to the the student would have been made months before the actual SC.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Getting a band one in SC Maths is very hard to do... You basically have to not attempt things.

If you cannot get above a band 3 in SC Maths then you will not cope with Ext. 1 workload or difficulty. Also, I can't imagine that those people getting the lower bands will like the higher level difficulty of the maths.... It's different to adding with counters. ^_^

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Getting a band one in SC Maths is very hard to do... You basically have to not attempt things.

If you cannot get above a band 3 in SC Maths then you will not cope with Ext. 1 workload or difficulty. Also, I can't imagine that those people getting the lower bands will like the higher level difficulty of the maths.... It's different to adding with counters. ^_^
Exactly. If you can't even do basic yr 10 maths then you are screwed.

My school would strongly discourage you against doing 3U, but they'll let you try it if you still want to do it after that.

Then they'll make bets on how long you will last and cheer when you finally drop.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
so you'r not answering me .... you'r answering the community .... :p :rofl2::music::mad1:

To OP: A band 4 "at least" in the SC to give 3U a go. If you achieve a band 1, you shouldn't decide to do 3U at all (unless there were unfortunate circumstances behind it all).

Last edited:

maths94

HSC
hello guys .... we were discussing the SC and how important it is .... but i got a question ....

suppose you got band 1 in maths in the SC mathematics exam ..... are you still being able to go for extension 1 maths ( 3 unit ) for year 11 ?????????

ok i understand it is not possible ,but it just a question and many people may be asking the same question .... so you'r not answering me .... you'r answering the community .... :p :rofl2::music::mad1:
if u got band one in school certificate i would presume you would repeat or you would drop out.,...i would b so low-esteem if i got that mark...a person who gets band 1 in maths doesnt evn do maths next year probably 3u wouldnt even b on there mind...also in my school only the top class students and pik the option of doing 3u...i dnt think a student in the top class will get band 1...i dnt want to be slak y is this relavant ...this wont apply to you as only 1percent get liek band 1 and thats with really dumb students.....and the obvious answer is no u get like band 1 in sc ...general maths would b a struggle for anybody if they got band 1 in sc

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
if u got band one in school certificate i would presume you would repeat or you would drop out.,...i would b so low-esteem if i got that mark...a person who gets band 1 in maths doesnt evn do maths next year probably 3u wouldnt even b on there mind...also in my school only the top class students and pik the option of doing 3u...i dnt think a student in the top class will get band 1...i dnt want to be slak y is this relavant ...this wont apply to you as only 1percent get liek band 1 and thats with really dumb students.....and the obvious answer is no u get like band 1 in sc ...general maths would b a struggle for anybody if they got band 1 in sc
You could be sick on the day of the exam.

Zantico

HSC
Always thought putting ur name on the test sheet got u an instant band 4

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Always thought putting ur name on the test sheet got u an instant band 4
If so, attempting one question and getting it correct is an instantaneous band 6? What sanctimonious planet do you live on?

Directed to the OP: If you acquire a Band 1 in the School Certificate for Mathematics (highly unlikely), it would be in your best interest not to take up Mathematics Extention since the SC is based on the year 10 syllabus which is quite analogous to the HSC general papers.

My school is identical to maths94, students in the top class are provided an opportunity to do 3U Maths however there were outliers in the class that were encouraged to take up 2U maths.

The school can't legally incline you from choosing 3U maths however they do persuade you to choose a subject that you are capable of. If you have enough determination and perserverance then go for it and maybe in forcoming years, you can reflect upon this and contently smile as you disproved others wrong.

I doubt the School Certificate determines which subjects you choose for your HSC preliminary but it would act as a fair indication of how you are situated compared to the state.

Instigate a study routine and manage it, such as reading over notes and completing the online SC multiple choice questions. Good Luck.

Last edited:

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
It depends...
If your school bases the entry to 3 unit math entirely on your S.C result, you're screwed, unless you hold some kind of moratorium protest or involve some higher authority or if you simply ace all your exams and have superb rankings within your class than you probably will get in.

My school bases it equally from effort to marks to S.C. (At least that's what i think they are doing)

School certificate maths is 5.1 math. I think everybody who puts an effort should get at least a band 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)