A tip for those entering uni in 2004... (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Turn off your phone before every single lecture. Do not just turn all the tones off and leave the phone running silent, as a vibrating phone is just as bad as one that rings.

Thank You.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If you have a vibrating one on the table, or against a hard surface, it will make a sound more loud and annoying than your ringtone. Try it.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
but whats the point, its not as if you can answer it

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
oh and cyph, in another thread thingy, minai said some lecturers lock the doors after like 10 minutes so people that are late cant get in, does this tend to happen at newcastle?

Generator

HSC
N/A

Just remember that you are one of however many in a lecture theatre, and that they are there to learn and not to listen to mobiles ringing with incomings calls or smses... You can get by for an hour or two without your phone.

Another tip for those taking BIOL1001/1901 at USyd this year... Be prepared to be humiliated in front of the entire lecture theatre if your phone happens to ring during Peter McGee's (?) series of lectures. Another lecturer will ask for a gold coin donation for a charity of some sort if that happens, too.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
*is reminded of that crappy dude in the movie previews who tells u to turn ur phone off.. he stands there tapping his foot when it rings lol*
at least they dont confiscate it lol
its a shame our society is so dependent on phones these days.. cant stand 3 hours with it off lol

Ribbon

For our half yearly exams I had my phone on silent in my pencilcase. A certain person, not relising I was in the exam let it ring out like 6 times in a row.... the noise it made vibrating against all my pens and pencils was enough to make a few of us giggle, but the teachers didn't notice...

so I really don't see the prob with having it on vibrate, especially if you are expecting an important call (so long as its not against a hard surface!)... if you keep it in your pocket you can feel it and it makes no noise whatsoever, so you can excuse yourself and answer it as you reach the door (I do this in the cinema).

oh, and if I sit my phone on a table, it doesn't make much noise when it vibrates, it just dances its way off the edge and smacks into the floor :D but I wouldn't really think many people would put thier phone on silent and sit it on the lecture tables... thier barely big enough fior a notebook, so I wouldn't think there would be room for a mobile as well?

my 2c --> if you *need* to have it on, keep it in your pocket, and don't be the noob whose full volume, polyphonic star wars ring tone interruprts the lecture :D

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
its just common sense. if you dont like to be disturbed, then make sure your phone is off or atleast tones/vibration is off. when a phone rings its a bloody distraction, especially if your trying to listen to the lecturer.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dash
I'm thinking something like that happen to you...
No, it is just that despite continual warnings people still leave their phones on and it is very annoying when a call/sms comes through. It is even worse when the lecturer stops for a minute or two in order to 'recover' from the interruption.

Last edited:

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Mmm, it annoys the shit out of me, and probably numerous others when the lecturer is talking and all you can hear is a vibrating phone :p BZZT! BZZT! BZZT! *all heads turn* :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Note To Self : Turn Phone Off...

Note To Self : Use paper to communicate with hot chics across the room :)

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
lol, worse is when the tutor/lecturer answers their own fone during a class... funny tho

'oh yes, im busy.... love you too honey'

rofl

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Haha, I've had lecturer's/tutor's answer their phones during classes - basically because they're all police officers :p

(PS - your avatar is the devil, emelia!!!!)

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
but u love it christine.. i know i do <3 ^_^
^_^

my comms tutor used to tell us stories about his cat laying with his fone... until one day the cat dropped it in his coffee!!!!
rofl

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Huh? What are we talking about?
I'm juss stairing blankly at eviltama's avatar *drool*

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Another tip-don't be a complete toss and talk on your mobile phone in the library, in the middle of the study areas. It is a rule that library staff usually do not bother enforcing, but please be aware that you are slowly pissing off everyone within a 5m radius of yourself.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
In fact, just toss it into the nearest pond you can find. If you're at UTS where there are no ponds, use the fountain.

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)