A word of inspiration for 2U students who aren't doing so well (1 Viewer)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
ok, now im confused wtf was my chem teacher on about.

erm

HSC
lyounamu said:
Sorry, that's a typo. It's NOT a scaled mark. :mad:
Are your aligned marks a similar value to your scaled marks?

gezzill

HSC
Shoom said:
he/she was probably saying that the students doing textiles for example (no offense) but becasue its a relatively easy subject should be getting top marks for that subject, say +80%. but because that subject scales low according to UAC, it does not achieve a high UAI.
i dont know if its moderated before you get the marks or not so im not sure what your chem teacher is on about.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
erm said:
Are your aligned marks a similar value to your scaled marks?
No not at all, the higher the scaling of that subject, the higher the scaled mark it can be (in general).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Shoom said:
Ok, here we go:

You do you HSC paper then markers mark that paper. Let's say you got 80/120 in maths - that's called raw mark.

Once you get that mark, markers compare that mark with the moderation for that subject and give you what's called ALIGNED mark. This aligned mark gets sent to you in the HSC exam result paper.

However, from that raw mark, your scaled mark is derived. Scaling of the subject is different and the scaled mark for each subject will be obviously different (even in the situation where you get the same aligned mark for all your subjects). Then this scaled mark is used by UAC to derive your UAI. 10 top scaled units are selected and added and get you an aggregate of 500 scaled marks. Then your UAI comes out, ta-dah!!

But note that you never get to learn the scaled marks. Only marks YOU KNOW are aligned marks

scora

HSC
Forget About The Scaling.

You've Chosen Your Subjects; Do Them Well And Be Happy About It

Shoom

HSC
N/A
ok, so I see the aligned mark, these aligned marks are then scaled for use by uac to determine UAI?

sorry if I sound stupid.

lionking1191

HSC
Shoom said:
ok, so I see the aligned mark, these aligned marks are then scaled for use by uac to determine UAI?

sorry if I sound stupid.
yeh basically it's

raw mark --> moderated mark aka. aligned mark (combine with ur assessment mark u end up with ur hsc mark) --> used by the uac to determine your uai (involves "scaling" of subject marks)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Shoom said:

sorry if I sound stupid.
yeah i guess so, that doesn't really matter though, u just do ur best in the subject and let them work out wat ur uai shud b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)