• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Abortion debate (1 Viewer)

Abortion debate

• Abortion illegalised

Votes: 51 19.8%
  • Tougher laws

Votes: 35 13.6%
  • Keep current laws

Votes: 155 60.1%
  • don't care

Votes: 17 6.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

musik_junky

HSC
i agree entirely with anti-mathmite (abortions should be illegal except in medical emergencies or rapes)

isn't it better to be a poor person and be alive than to be dead??

Everyone knows the risks associated with having sex - everyone knows that condoms could break. Yet they still have sex KNOWING that they could well become pregnant. Isn't it funny how so many people do something knowing the consequences could be dire...and yet they whinge when they have to face the repercussions of their actions.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
Saying that one of the circumstances where a women should be able to have an abortion, is if she cannot afford the baby
Currently social and economic circumstances are taken into account. the truth is that children cost money and often people feel that they do not have the money to be able to raise the child which in many cases IS TRUE. Also many teenage girls, young women or young men are not not mature enough to handle a young child. These people know that. It would be wrong to bring a child into a world that would not be able to support them or put them into the control of parents who resent the birth of the child and know that they are cannot take care of the child or are not mature enough to take care of the child.

I've forgotten the case but parents of a retarded child sued the doctor for failing to spot the deformity. Based on your priniples the parents should not be able to receive damages because everyone can afford to have a child regardless of their circumstances and the state (government) will support that child. Which is totally incorrect.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
musik_junky said:
Everyone knows the risks associated with having sex - everyone knows that condoms could break. Yet they still have sex KNOWING that they could well become pregnant. Isn't it funny how so many people do something knowing the consequences could be dire...and yet they whinge when they have to face the repercussions of their actions.
Well that is your choice. Do not have sex.

Yes its real funny having to face a potential pregancy. The hilarity. I just cant get over it.

musik_junky

HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
isn't it weird that the ppl who want tougher laws for abortions like Tony abbot are nearly all males?....that's crap! do they ever have to carry babies? do they have to go through 9 months of pregnancy?do they have to experience child birth?...NOOO!
Do they have common sense? YES! You are talking as if pregnancies can't be avoided. The people who have unwanted pregnancies are generally people who have been reckless (not used multiple forms of contraception). Should the unborn be punished for this stupidity?

Remember, abortions in medical emergencies and rape cases are acceptable.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
musik_junky said:
Do they have common sense? YES! You are talking as if pregnancies can't be avoided. The people who have unwanted pregnancies are generally people who have been reckless (not used multiple forms of contraception). Should the unborn be punished for this stupidity?
You mean like a 42 year old women who has 5 children already who has has had a hysterectomy but falls pregant? Gonna make her have the baby?

musik_junky

HSC
erawamai,

how many people who get abortions fit that description?? Obviously the chance of becoming pregnant after getting a hysterectomy would be minute, otherwise no one would get a hysterectomy in the first place. And in any case, this woman could sue for medical negligence and get tons of $$$...this would duly compensate her for the extra burden of having an extra child.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
musik_junky said:
erawamai,

how many people who get abortions fit that description??
Quite a few. If you check the SA statistics, the only state that keeps some kind of stats, women of older age make up a larger proportion than teenagers.

Obviously the chance of becoming pregnant after getting a hysterectomy would be minute, otherwise no one would get a hysterectomy in the first place.
It's higher than many people think. Pregnancies do happen on the oft chance or at least within the year of having the operation.

And in any case, this woman could sue for medical negligence and get tons of $$$...this would duly compensate her for the extra burden of having an extra child.
But if you can sue for having the burden of the child are you suggesting that money is an important factor? If financial status cannot be taken into account for abortions then why should a women be entitled to damages for a birth that she doesn't want?

There have been cases on this kind of thing.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I cannot help but wonder why so many people are against a woman exercising control over her own body.

As for the terminology, it isn't pro-life vs. pro-abortion, it's pro-choice vs. anti-choice. Those in favour of choice aren't necessarily in favour of 'abortion on demand' (such a representation is pathetic and serves to demean what would be a difficult decision for any woman to make), rather they are of the belief that a woman is more than entitled to maintain more than a degree of control over her own body. Of course, there are some who believe that this is entirely unfair, but they are of no consequence (till they reach parliament, that is).

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Marie Stopes International is the only national provider of abortions in Australia with clinics in Western Australia, Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria, but there are private clinics in every state and territory that provide the service. There are 80,000 abortions in Australia each year. Marie Stopes performs 9,000 of these, mostly for women aged between 26 and 32. The number of teenage patients is small, however, with 15 to 22-year-olds accounting for just 0.6% of the total number.
http://www.mariestopes.com.au/news/media_coverage/why_are_so_many_teenagers_having_abortions

the rate of abortion in women over 35 is higher than that of teenagers.

http://www.drfeelgood.com.au/articles/tests/abortion_in_australia.htm

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Generator said:
I cannot help but wonder why so many people are against a woman exercising control over her own body.

As for the terminology, it isn't pro-life vs. pro-abortion, it's pro-choice vs. anti-choice. Those in favour of choice aren't necessarily in favour of 'abortion on demand' (such a representation is pathetic and serves to demean what would be a difficult decision for any woman to make), rather they are of the belief that a woman is more than entitled to maintain more than a degree of control over her own body. Of course, there are some who believe that this is entirely unfair, but they are of no consequence (till they reach parliament, that is).
I think it's about the rights of the individual. Pressuming that the foetus is in fact a human life, doesnt the decison become bigger than convenience and control?

musik_junky

HSC
Iron said:
I think it's about the rights of the individual. Pressuming that the foetus is in fact a human life, doesnt the decison become bigger than convenience and control?
Exactly!

the rate of abortion in women over 35 is higher than that of teenagers.
so what? The rate of abortion in women between 20 and 24 is higher than that of women over 35...

stainmepink

HSC
musik_junky said:
i agree entirely with anti-mathmite (abortions should be illegal except in medical emergencies or rapes)

isn't it better to be a poor person and be alive than to be dead??

are you a man by any chance? so what, are you saying that if we're female and don't want a baby we should stop all sex, whilst you boys can go ahead since you won't get pregnant? what is this. double standards.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Iron said:
But is it a human life? At what stage does the possibility become an actuality?

musik_junky

HSC
gobaby said:
are you saying that if we're female and don't want a baby we should stop all sex, whilst you boys can go ahead since you won't get pregnant? what is this. double standards.
no? you can use more than one form of contraception. Most people who will disagree with this measure will do so because they think its "inconvenient". But is it right to terminate a potential life just for convenience sake? i dont think so

Generator

HSC
N/A
musik_junky said:
But is it right to terminate a potential life just for convenience sake? i dont think so
Convenience? I fail to see what such a light dismissal of the issue will achieve, musik_junky (apart from leading to coathangers in the backyard, that is).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Generator said:
But is it a human life? At what stage does the possibility become an actuality?
I know that's debatable, but- call me simplistically old fashioned - if nature takes its cause, it will be.
I try to see the progressive point of view, but I can't seporate myself from it. Ive known my mother to make mad decisions before, and if cirumstances were different, I dont see why she would not have aborted me too. What kind of society can support the detached and arbitrary termination of life?

musik_junky

HSC
Iron said:
What kind of society can support the detached and arbitrary termination of life?
Yes exactly! Especially when it is so easy to avoid unwanted pregnancies in a majority of cases.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
musik_junky said:
erawamai,
Obviously the chance of becoming pregnant after getting a hysterectomy would be minute, otherwise no one would get a hysterectomy in the first place. And in any case, this woman could sue for medical negligence and get tons of $$$...this would duly compensate her for the extra burden of having an extra child.
era said:
But if you can sue for having the burden of the child are you suggesting that money is an important factor? If financial status cannot be taken into account for abortions then why should a women be entitled to damages for a birth that she doesn't want?
There have been cases on this kind of thing
??????????????

musik_junky

HSC
because she paid good money to the doctors to get the hysterectomy done...we are punishing the doctors here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)