• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Abortion (4 Viewers)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I agree and in actuality, the bible does not mention abortion at all - simply that you should not kill a pregnant women.
Anti-abortion is simply followed ignorant people, lack of education, skewed morals and men who want to still retain power over women, especially their wives.
Ah geez

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I agree and in actuality, the bible does not mention abortion at all - simply that you should not kill a pregnant women.
Anti-abortion is simply followed ignorant people, lack of education, skewed morals and men who want to still retain power over women, especially their wives.
Yes but it mentions that murder is forbidden. Ultimately, it comes down to the definition and application of 'murder' in this particular context.

SherlockHolmes

HSC
True, but due to lack of education on abortion (as I previously mentioned), people believe that that is murder and they ignore the actual, scientific facts. Probably staying ignorant because they want some extra points when they get into their 'heaven'.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
When life beings is a philosophical not scientific question though. Science can tell us when an unborn bay can start feeling, when its heart starts beating, when its brain becomes active etc. but it can't tell you when life begins (and therefore can't tell you when it is and isn't murder)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
True, but due to lack of education on abortion (as I previously mentioned), people believe that that is murder and they ignore the actual, scientific facts. Probably staying ignorant because they want some extra points when they get into their 'heaven'.
The only argument I have ever heard that has made me feel some sort of sympathy for pro-lifers is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being against a practice that you believe is murder.

kfnmpah

HSC
The only argument I have ever heard that has made me feel some sort of sympathy for pro-lifers is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being against a practice that you believe is murder.
i guess their beliefs are wrong then?

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
For "good quality" babies they should never be killed.
For "bad quality" babies - abortion will be fine.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
u seemvery masogonistic. why are you trying to control what women do with their bodies? its none of your business. if you are a women and get pregnant, it should be 100% ur choice on what you want to do.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAUAHAIHAOS

How did I not see this before?!?!?!

kfnmpah

HSC
u seemvery masogonistic. why are you trying to control what women do with their bodies? its none of your business. if you are a women and get pregnant, it should be 100% ur choice on what you want to do.
yes ok unless the father doesn't want a child and then has to pay child support for 18 years

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You're killing an innocent child
i wouldn't say "innocent"

they're pretty much a parasite, eating the mother out from the inside

we kill lice every day

why not babbies?!?!!??

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a weird view on abortion. I think it's fairly abhorrent (except in the VERY early stages of pregnancy), but I also believe that it's a woman's right to have one if she so chooses

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
i guess their beliefs are wrong then?
Not necessarily

But the way I view abortion is for harm minimisation. The women who don't want kids can have legitimate professionals performing legal operations in order to terminate their pregnancy, as opposed to backyard surgeries where some doctors even raped pregnant women as a means of payment. Not to mention the total lack of hygiene and professionalism. On the flip side, the women who either want to have kids or don't but don't believe in abortion on whatever grounds can avoid the practice entirely. There are dozens of stories from doctors in the U.S and Australia believe it or not where patients they have performed abortions on have previously and continued to picket their offices. Ever heard the term: "the only moral abortion is my abortion"?

http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html

Jimmy2064

HSC
The debate, as people interpret it, is pro-abortion v. anti-abortion. When in reality this not the debate on that matter, but rather on whether women have the right to do what they wish with THEIR body or not. If we ask, where does the anti-abortion view stem from? It stems from religion. Well I put this forth, how can the vatican be against abortion when none of their senior or medium leadership is women. How can they make such a statement.
This does not concern the rights of women, it concerns life and death. Would you like someone to have aborted you, before you were able to enter and experience the world? I didn't think so. This goes far beyond the 'rights of women' argument, this is not some petty issue about whether or not women are treated equally. Do you HONESTLY think its fair that a soon to be person, just like you or I, can be essentially murdered (at some stages) for the reason that 'I can't care for it right now' or 'it was an accident'. There are plenty of ways around that. On that note, I do believe circumstantial abortion has some substance to its argument (e.g. pregnancy as a result of rape). Also, I'm atheist so therefore have no views in that respect, it's just fundamental human rights ie. the right to life. As for the Vatican, that's been tradition for MANY years and I doubt they are in any position to change, however I do agree with you on that. We have however just recently had (note 'had') a women Prime Minister (and look how that turned out LOL).

Jimmy2064

HSC
It does refer to abortion directly on one occasion. Additionally, you are calling preserving life skewed morals? What then, would you say for murder? I bet you'd be pretty unhappy if you were aborted for some frivolous reason. I certainly would be. Most people who opt for abortions are normally young, uneducated, and choose this for the simple reason that it was 'unintended'. Now THAT is skewed morals.

niloony

HSC
Ethical debates are naturally logically inconsistent and hypocritical. We're all trying to make up excuses for what we believe and trying to stick to one side.
  • If the church did not exist I may well be against abortion as I am naturally against the church defining views and getting support. An apparently disgusting way to form a view but true.
  • Then there is the view that we're all essentially the same being and the only difference is the distance between our cells and thus separate lives are meaningless in themselves.
  • I feel bad for killing people who might have a future. But then question how deep such a statement is.
  • Then I get all chaos theoryful and realise my walking outside could lead to a death of someone at some stage.
  • However then I find all my previous views very hypocritical as daily I base all decisions upon vague feelings dependent on the belief specific actions cause specific things to happen.
  • Finally I admit killing babies is really bad so I am against abortion.
  • But then I feel bad for in turn supporting all manner of other crackpot loony ideas so I feel strongly in support of abortion. While a bad thing it represents logical consistency with other views I may hold against the church. It is sad that religious prejudice plays such a strong role in my views.

Abhorrent, illogical and self righteous views. ETHICS.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)