Absent Fail UWS (1 Viewer)

Psychology

HSC
So here it is; basically the outline says

"Students are expected to attend a minimum of 80% of classes.
Records of tutorial attendance will be taken for verification purposes. Lectures and tutorials are an essential part of your learning.
Students have the responsibility to keep up with the unit content by
attendance at lectures and tutorials.
No accommodation will be made or consideration will be given to students who do not attend regularly except in the case of illness or misadventure."

It does not say that you will fail, it only says that they will not accommodate you if you don't attend and miss out on tutorials.

I've missed around 6-7 tutorials for one of my units and I just want to know what other people have experienced in regards to this shitty and meaningless outline. They expect you to attend 80%, they will record and verify it, and that's it! What the fuck happens?

Anyway, let me know what you guys have to say. I've emailed my tutor already and awaiting her response.

I Study Hard

HSC
Depends on the unit.
Without doctors certificate etc in most units they will fail you.
I would speak to the unit coordinator about the class requirements. Normally when a minimum attendance rate is stated in the LG it is a requirement.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
80%, 70%, 90% of a 13-14 week semester (can't remember because it's been a year since I transferred out of UWS) and even some units don't have attendance requirements (after the first 3 weeks) *cough* Introduction to Business Law *cough*.

The outline for each unit is confusing ~ I suggest you follow "I Study Hard"'s suggestion and for each week that you missed write a statement on the reason behind it. They should allow an appeal for the grade and take into consideration your reasons. Good Luck!

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
When you decided to attend the university you must have realised you would need to follow their rules no matter what you thought of them

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's mostly used as a back-up factor. If you get through the course perfectly fine, chances are they aren't going to fail you. It's only when you're sitting around the 50% or lower mark (or they just don't like you) that it can be a problem.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
So why did you enrol in the university if you weren't willing to follow the rules of the university? If you found out after enrolling you could have cancelled your enrolment prior to census date and it would not have cost you. The expectation is clear so what's your problem. By the way it is not a backup - you are expected to attend.

Last edited:

muhahahahahaha

HSC
As I Study Hard has explained above, the inclusion of an attendance note in the learning guide would imply that you would need to attend a minimum of 80% of your tutorials.
Consider yourself lucky lol, in one class that I had this semester (Introduction to Macroeconomics) they would deduct 2% of your final course work mark for every tutorial you miss after you drop under the 80% attendance rate!
Generally, with a doctor's certificate and such, your chances of being 'excused' for your absence are higher I suppose. Friends have been in similar situations so I know what you're talking about.
(What Absolutezero has stated is also pretty damn true).
Goodluck with it all.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
You need to check the outline for the specific unit. In some cases it definitely does.
The 80% already takes account of the 2 weeks that you may be ill.
So if you have 12 weeks of tutorials you can only afford to be absent for 2 tutorials.

Last edited:

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
So here it is; basically the outline says

"Students are expected to attend a minimum of 80% of classes.
Records of tutorial attendance will be taken for verification purposes. Lectures and tutorials are an essential part of your learning.
Students have the responsibility to keep up with the unit content by
attendance at lectures and tutorials.
No accommodation will be made or consideration will be given to students who do not attend regularly except in the case of illness or misadventure."

It does not say that you will fail, it only says that they will not accommodate you if you don't attend and miss out on tutorials.

I've missed around 6-7 tutorials for one of my units and I just want to know what other people have experienced in regards to this shitty and meaningless outline. They expect you to attend 80%, they will record and verify it, and that's it! What the fuck happens?

Anyway, let me know what you guys have to say. I've emailed my tutor already and awaiting her response.
Hi, You can opt to apply for a Review of Grade. For information on how to apply for this, please contact Student Central on 1300 668 370 or studentcentral@uws.edu.au. Best regards, Team U.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
Hi, You can opt to apply for a Review of Grade. For information on how to apply for this, please contact Student Central on 1300 668 370 or studentcentral@uws.edu.au. Best regards, Team U.
If you apply for a review of grade it is important to provide the relevant evidence indicated at http://www.uws.edu.au/currentstuden...ging_your_study/exams/results/review_of_grade

What is considered Supporting evidence can be found at http://www.uws.edu.au/currentstudents/current_students/managing_your_study/supporting_documentation

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)