Academic Competitions (1 Viewer)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone care about their results?
I'm talking about the ones like Australian Mathematics Competition, UNSW Science, English etc.
As for me, when I used to get Credits, I was like "these tests are bull", when I get Distinctions, I'm like,"these tests don't mean too much", and when I get High Distinctions, I'm like,"These tests are a great indicator of natural ability".

Aysce

HSC
Nope just do it for teh lulz

tambam

HSC
They're good for fattening up your list of academic awards for applications.

But otherwise, i don't think multiple choice exams are a 100% legitimate way of measuring academic ability.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I tried my best in them (without study, because you can't study for them) - however you never really mention the results again after High School.

Infatuate

HSC
Mhm. I care about the AMC because my school posts everyone's results up on a wall, with their scores and ranks. =( Do other schools do this? I've never asked anyone else about it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nope, they never did at our school.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Mhm. I care about the AMC because my school posts everyone's results up on a wall, with their scores and ranks. =( Do other schools do this? I've never asked anyone else about it.
My school would regard that as an invasion of the privacy of the students.

We used to do things like that in the 90s but in the late 90s rights to privacy of results became a major issue and that simply wouldn't be done now.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
My school would regard that as an invasion of the privacy of the students.

We used to do things like that in the 90s but in the late 90s rights to privacy of results became a major issue and that simply wouldn't be done now.
Uh oh.

In my year, my school put up all our ranks and marks for everyone to see.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I don't really care what I get, but it is satisfying seeing Distinction come up.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I was always involuntarily volunteered for these. The certificates were quite nice though.

enoilgam

HSC
My school always forced us to do these competitions. I just coloured in the dots.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I do them but I don't really take them seriously. I either get really good results or bad results in them :p Rarely in the middle.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
My school always forced us to do these competitions. I just coloured in the dots.
At my school, a lot of students didn't take these exams seriously. One of the piece de resistance in the English staffroom is a Participation certificate with the name: "Kim Kardashian" on the certificate. Granted, it was like 2006. Nowadays, I believe the school checks the name of all students, when handing papers in.

Furthermore, for Writing, teachers actually read the papers before they go in, to make sure they're serious attempts. I know a student in Yr 9 decided to be 'creative' and wrote some gay-bashing piece, and because our school pays for our entrance to the competition, the kid was made to pay the school back for the fee that the school had shelled out for his 'non-serious-attempt'. Oh, and he was 'sentenced' to a month's worth of counseling. I just found it funny that the teachers read through all the papers before sending them through.

mark H

HSC
For the business studies comp I got a HD and there was free food and drinks so that was awesome.

Gigacube

HSC
My school never put up the exact marks. If you got a distinction or higher then your name would go in the school newsletter.

I used to do the UNSW maths, science & computing ones in primary. I think I did the AMC up to year 9.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
My school posted all the results from the unsw maths comp this year, even the credits. But apparently that one is very difficult. And anyone who gets a prize in any comp is mentioned by name in the school paper. High distinction numbers are mentioned, but not names.

HSC
Uni Grad
My old school used to post up the AMC results up on the wall with everyone's name and results on it. I did feel bad when I got credits for that comp but it felt really good to get distinction in them too :)

musing

HSC
lol. i got a distinction in year 9 for filling the "D" bubble in every question.

such_such

HSC
Is it normal to do really good at school, yet getting terrible results for academic competitions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)