Acceleration and policies? (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I am someone who accelerated into the Preliminary maths adv. and ext. 1 courses. Now, how i came about to do this was that in year 8 i found a passion for mathematics when I asked if my teacher could show me calculus. Soon after, i started to learn all the lower mathematics (9, 10 and 11) so that i could better understand calculus and "beautiful" mathematics. I learnt 9 and 10 in a matter of 3/4 months. After this period, i found my way to the Bored of Studies, where i herd about acceleration. This was roughly around August / September.

I read the "gifted and talented rules and regulations" Board of Studies guideline to see what i would have to do before i approached the mathematics head teacher. Soon after i went up to the teacher and said if i could sit on the SC in order to go into year 11 mathematics, but apparently, it was to late. My only option was to either go into a normal year 9 class or year 10. I though, just to get closer to year 11, i would choose year 10.

Unfortunately, the year 10 mathematics did not provide the intellectual stimulation or rigor that i was at, so i started learning year 11. I am now at a point were i am starting the year 11 classes (while in year 10) doing adv and ext 1. But there is a problem.

Just to revise, i am in year 10, doing year 11 maths, but up to a year 12 level.

Now with the problem. Next year, i will be in year 11 doing year 12, but my next year 11 advanced English clashes with my year 12 advanced mathematics. So the school would have to move the english line in the school matrix. Now, some of the teachers (who dont understand the system) are debating against it because they think they might be affected by it.

So i asked the HT of mathematics if I could sit the HSC in advanced mathematics this year, so that it wouldn't interfer with next year. He said "You have not completed the outcomes of the course" or something like that. But i am not sure what that ment? I have learnt all of the prelim advanced mathematics!

So i am going to ask a few questions about the "rules" under this situation and if you dont know, just your opinion please.

Firstly, can i do HSC mathematics if i have not sat in the prelim class?

Is it possible for me to do all of the prelim tests from last year to 'see' if im capable to do so, and if so, could i proceed to sit the HSC this year?

All help would be extremely apreciated towards this problem. I would truely be gratious. Im sorry for telling my life story, i just felt the context needed to be understood.

Thankyou
--Kurt

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
So i asked the HT of mathematics if I could sit the HSC in advanced mathematics this year, so that it wouldn't interfer with next year. He said "You have not completed the outcomes of the course" or something like that. But i am not sure what that ment? I have learnt all of the prelim advanced mathematics!
In order to do HSC, you need to satisfactorily complete the Preliminary aspect of the HSC. That's probably what they meant. However, under the extreme circumstances, I think you can still do HSC as long as you complete the Preliminary aspect along with your HSC.

So i am going to ask a few questions about the "rules" under this situation and if you dont know, just your opinion please.

Firstly, can i do HSC mathematics if i have not sat in the prelim class?

Is it possible for me to do all of the prelim tests from last year to 'see' if im capable to do so, and if so, could i proceed to sit the HSC this year?
Yes, you can. Refer to above.

Hey, Kurt. I will provide my honest views here: You are really good at maths. I really see that. You have every potential to do really well in maths even if you do HSC this year (in yr 10!, is it?). Actually, you even have every chance to top the state if not state ranks if you were to do HSC 2 Unit Mathematics this year.

If you do decide to do HSC maths and if your teacher is not sure about enrolling you for the course, make a deal with the teacher. Sit all the relevant yr 11 exams (and it won't be a problem for you since you know already). Then sit your HSC for 2 unit. Don't really worry about 3 unit because you will probably over-burden yourself. Do 3 unit as extra classes and do 3 unit HSC next year with 4 unit perhaps.

I can truly vouch for your great mathematical skills. I will be happy to provide some tips as you go along. Good luck.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Thanks namu

So are you suggesting i do all the tests first, or are you suggesting that i continue my prelim adv and do the tests as they come whilst doing HSC adv maths?

And yes, i agree with not doing the 3 unit as well. Spreading the HSC out over 3 year would be much easier. And my mathematical ability will be much more developed next year for the HSC in MX1 and 2.

Thanks again :)

edit: Oh yeh, and to your question, yes, im in year 10 so im trying to do it this year.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
So are you suggesting i do all the tests first, or are you suggesting that i continue my prelim adv and do the tests as they come whilst doing HSC adv maths?
Whichever that fits you or your school better. But the latter might be an easier option for you. However, considering your current knowledge of maths, it shouldn't matter much.

edit: Oh yeh, and to your question, yes, im in year 10 so im trying to do it this year.
Nice, mate. Please do it and do well in it. Make us proud. :)

Then I can tell my brother that someone from BOS topped the state in yr 10. :) (because he wants to do exactly that but unsure whether he can actually do it, haha) :):):)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
thanks namu for all your support.

I suppose that the only problem is my HT of mathematics. It seams he has his mind set on me not doing it. Although, when i asked him, it seamed like he didnt even consider the possibility, just, no.

Would you have any advice on how i could change his mind?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
hmm,
i'm not sure how my school does it, because we just learn prelim+hsc in yr 11 and sit the hsc math at the end,
so i guess u shud be able to do it...maybe.

edit: go to the principal?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
thanks namu for all your support.

I suppose that the only problem is my HT of mathematics. It seams he has his mind set on me not doing it. Although, when i asked him, it seamed like he didnt even consider the possibility, just, no.

Would you have any advice on how i could change his mind?
Letter from your parents will definitely help. But make sure it covers the reason why you can do 2 Unit HSC Mathematics, how it can help you with HSC in general, how you can do 2 Unit HSC Mathematisc and etc.

Bombard the guy with some statistics:
- There have been many instances of "top in the state" or state ranks from accelerants: Giles Gardam (2nd in 2 unit and 10th in 3 unit), Anthony Morris (top 20 in 2 unit), Peter Yoon (1st in 2 unit) and etc.
- TONNES AND TONNES OF PEOPLE got state ranks as an accelerant

If he has his doubt on you, let him sit you some exams to see your "elligbility".

However, your "application" should be focused on how you will come about coping with the course.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Letter from your parents will definitely help. But make sure it covers the reason why you can do 2 Unit HSC Mathematics, how it can help you with HSC in general, how you can do 2 Unit HSC Mathematisc and etc.

Bombard the guy with some statistics:
- There have been many instances of "top in the state" or state ranks from accelerants: Giles Gardam (2nd in 2 unit and 10th in 3 unit), Anthony Morris (top 20 in 2 unit), Peter Yoon (1st in 2 unit) and etc.
- TONNES AND TONNES OF PEOPLE got state ranks as an accelerant

If he has his doubt on you, let him sit you some exams to see your "elligbility".

However, your "application" should be focused on how you will come about coping with the course.
So do you think he said "You have not completed the outcomes of the course" meaning that i haven't learnt it?

See, i dont think he has a problem with me accelerating (because i am already accelerated by 1 year), but i think that he might have the misconception that i have to sit in on each class or something? Under the premise of my previous statement, what are your views?

See, you would presume that the HSC 'laws' regarding units etc are 'flexible' under certain circumstances ie acceleration.

Thanks heaps!

P.S. Should i get him in a meeting with my parents?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
So do you think he said "You have not completed the outcomes of the course" meaning that i haven't learnt it?
Well, kinda. It basically means that you haven't completed the coure requirement for Preliminary (i.e. haven't done yr 11 exams)

See, i dont think he has a problem with me accelerating (because i am already accelerated by 1 year), but i think that he might have the misconception that i have to sit in on each class or something? Under the premise of my previous statement, what are your views?
Not entirely sure. Clear that part with him.

See, you would presume that the HSC 'laws' regarding units etc are 'flexible' under certain circumstances ie acceleration.
yeah

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
And also, namu, the person who does timetable stuff or whatever (generally he has a say in acceleration), said "In order to start the HSC, you would have to have completed 12 units of preliminary..." and this was in reference to my suggestion. Well, i had a think about this, and it is completely bullshit! Consider my current acceleration case: I am currently in year 10 and doing 3 units of mathematics, then at the end of term 3 i would be finishing 3 units of prelim study and going on to start my HSC mathematics in term 4. Do you see the contradiction? I would not have completed 12 units of prelim as i am in year 10, so the statement that that person made has become redundant! Therefore there should be the possibility of doing the HSC mathematics still this year?

And in connection with your statements about it, it seams completely do-able!?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
And also, namu, the person who does timetable stuff or whatever (generally he has a say in acceleration), said "In order to start the HSC, you would have to have completed 12 units of preliminary..." and this was in reference to my suggestion. Well, i had a think about this, and it is completely bullshit!
Doesn't make sense AT ALL. I did my some of my HSC without completing 12 units of Preliminary.

Therefore there should be the possibility of doing the HSC mathematics still this year? And in connection with your statements about it, it seams completely do-able!?
Firstly, yes, it's do-able and I am sure you can manage it just fine (but I realise that this is not the part that you are worried about). Get as many supporters of your acceleration involved such as your own teacher or parents. They can be of very very significant help. I was not initially part of the acceleration class and I was initially one year behind everyone in the acceleration class but after terms of negotiation with teachers, I finally got there. If you still get rejected or whatever, take it to the principal.

jet

Banned
HSC
From what I understand, you're doing year 11 maths this year, and you want to sit the hsc at the end, even though you aren't able to do the year 12 classes.

The thing is that, without being able to do the year 12 tests or take the classes the teachers cannot accurately say you satisfy the outcomes of the course. I think this is what they meant when they told you that.
The BOS has really strict rules for home schooled people, which you would pretty much be classified in terms of maths, which basically state that they cannot sit the hsc.

I can tell you though that i studied the course at the back of a year 11 class with the teacher. I came into class first and got my work, then he ran the class while i did the exercises. Once they were working quietly he would explain anything to me and straighten it out. It would come down the whether or not your teacher is willing.

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
From what I understand, you're doing year 11 maths this year, and you want to sit the hsc at the end, even though you aren't able to do the year 12 classes.
Just to clarify for you, my 'real' school year is year 10. Now i accelerated into year 10 maths when i was in year 9 (ie last year), then i just progressed into the year 11 adv and ext 1 classes this year. I am only doing year 11 adv and ext this year because that is what was allowed by certain circumstances that i have stated in the first post of this thread.

I am actually at a year 12 level, and i would like to go into the year 12 adv class as well as the year 11 adv and ext 1 that i am currently doing. The reason i want to do this is, that if i do do the HSC advanced mathematics examination this year, then i would be already 'studying' the prelim material for HSC, so essentially it would help me more.

And yes, it would be feasible to sit in on the year 12 mathematics advance classes.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Doesn't make sense AT ALL. I did my some of my HSC without completing 12 units of Preliminary.

Firstly, yes, it's do-able and I am sure you can manage it just fine (but I realise that this is not the part that you are worried about). Get as many supporters of your acceleration involved such as your own teacher or parents. They can be of very very significant help. I was not initially part of the acceleration class and I was initially one year behind everyone in the acceleration class but after terms of negotiation with teachers, I finally got there. If you still get rejected or whatever, take it to the principal.
Thanks heaps for this namu :)

jet

Banned
HSC
I would say that your best move would be to ask 'What outcomes haven't I met sir/miss??? I would really like to show you I can fulfil them or remedy that for you". Or something to that effect. It could get you in, or it could reveal their real excuse for not letting you it. I dont see how they could stop you if you have done the prelim already.

helper

HSC
N/A
To enroll you into the HSC course, the principal has to sign off that you have met the preliminary requirements or the equivalent. That is the paperwork that they would be worried about.

A possibility that could be discussed with the Head teacher for next year, is if you finish the preliminary this year, would it be possible for you to do the HSC course externally through correspondence school or the like. That would overcome the clash you are worried about.

proringz

HSC
Well at my school there was a 11 year old kid in Year 9 who sat for HSC Maths Ext 1 and 2, and a Year 10 kid doing MX1 and 2 this year - both did prelim first.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Kurt, I wish I had you as a student!

OK, I would do as namu suggests and see if you can get the teacher on side to let you prove you can fulfil the Prelim outcomes THIS term AND get onto the HSC requirements for 2 Unit this year. Get them to let you also sit the HSC 2 Unit assessments as they come up. You are obviously teaching yourself and doing very well at it.

Teachers ALWAYS bleat about the needs of the individual student and catering to the gifted as well as the struggling. So I would just frame your request as one of your needs require you to be stimulated and that means HSC 2 Unit this year and 3 Unit and 4 Unit next year. IF they have to change the time table, then they will have to do something about that because for teachers to whine they are going against their own mantra of "everything for the good of the students".

And what about Year 12? Have you thought that far? Would you look into doing a Uni Maths course and get a head start there? I don't know if you can, but it would certainly be something to think about. Pure Maths 1 sounds right up your alley!

jet

Banned
HSC
Well the distinction courses are being phased out. This year is most probably the last. They are, however looking into other methods of enrichments such as early entry into some uni courses. THe Board of Studies has said that they will not remove the distinction courses until they find an alternative solution, as they were basically a financial drain, so there is some hope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)