Acceptable handwriting in English essays? (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Re turtle67's video on pen grip:
That is "the correct" way to hold your pen. If you have access to a person older than 60, chances are he/she can show you how to write.
Whilst having a smooth-flowing pen helps, by itself you cannot write well if you, like over 50% of youngsters nowadays, do not know how to write correctly.

Last edited:

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
I just re-wrote the 1984 thesis. Looks something like this:
View attachment 29096
That's much better.

A tip I've used since I also don't have the best handwriting, is to not write cursive/runny. I noticed it in the first set of attachments you've sent as some of your letters are joined, and although it may seem hard, a few practice essays should work out fine for you. Just remember to keep reminding yourself about your handwriting in your exam. I know there's a lot of stress going on that day but try to keep it at the back of your mind so that it doesn't cost you a lot of marks. Remember markers are getting payed on how many scripts they can mark, so they won't spend ages trying to decipher your writing. Also, anything they can't read, they void completely. Don't take the risk.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
That's much better.

A tip I've used since I also don't have the best handwriting, is to not write cursive. I noticed it in the first set of attachments you've sent as some of your letters are joined, and although it may seem hard, a few practice essays should work out fine for you. Just remember to keep reminding yourself about your handwriting in your exam. I know there's a lot of stress going on that day but try to keep it at the back of your mind so that it doesn't cost you a lot of marks. Remember markers are getting payed on how many scripts they can mark, so they won't spend ages trying to decipher your writing. Also, anything they can't read, they void completely. Don't take the risk.
That is misleading: "do not write cursive". If you do not know how to write cursive, then it would be better to avoid cursive. Look at specimens of handwriting done over 50 years ago: nearly all of them are in running writing. Running writing is the basis of writing more quickly. Or alternatively, if someone can help video me doing handwriting and upload it.

If there is enough interest in learning how to write the old way, I'd be happy to show how, coronavirus permitting. But let someone else organise it. But not very useful for those with only a few months left to the exam. It is not easy to unlearn bad handwriting.

Last edited:

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
That is misleading: "do not write cursive". If you do not know how to write cursive, then it would be better to avoid cursive. Look at specimens of handwriting done over 50 years ago: nearly all of them are in running writing. Running writing is the basis of writing more quickly.

If there is enough interest in learning how to write the old way, I'd be happy to show how, coronavirus permitting. But let someone organise it.
Understandable, but I meant 'running/cursive' where the letters are joined. Sometimes its not intentional such as in my case, but it happens due to time constraints and stress so I advise against it as it does make writing illegible.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
hold the pen with in your hand but write by moving your arm instead of your hand
Not true! You move your hand, NOT YOUR ARM.

See what I meant when I referred to the "blind leading the blind".

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Not true! You move your hand, NOT YOUR ARM.

See what I meant when I referred to the "blind leading the blind".
It's okay, no need to be harsh about it. We aren't blind here- sometimes mistakes are made, typos happen and that's fine. However, @Vitrecan did say "writing with your arm instead of your fingers/wrist is better" so why would you move your hand, and not your arm??

Vitrecan

HSC
How do you write with your arm instead of fingers/wrist?
Basically, as oppose to using your fingers and wrist to write, you instead use the flashy part of your forearm on the edge of the table, keep your wrist and fingers still and just use the motion of your arm on the table to write.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
It's okay, no need to be harsh about it. We aren't blind here- sometimes mistakes are made, typos happen and that's fine. However, @Vitrecan did say "writing with your arm instead of your fingers/wrist is better" so why would you move your hand, and not your arm??
I'm sorry if I seem to use rather harsh language. I'm frustrated to see more than 50% of people nowadays being unable to write. It is no fault of theirs. Maybe nobody showed them how to do it properly when they started out learning to write at maybe 5, 6 or 7 years old. Most of the time no one showed them how to hold the pen and this is fundamental. And how to form the characters. Even when they learn handwriting in their primary school, either they were not correctly taught, or did not learn it well. Once they have a poor start, they are stuck with it. From my observation and experience, it is very hard to correct it, once you have started it incorrectly. It is no rocket science and yet I'm amazed to see so many struggling with it.

If only I can demonstrate what I mean, instead of trying to describe it.

idkkdi

HSC
Can you show us what you mean?
not bothered to watch turtle vid but I assume the correct was pen on top of the knuckle with wrist movements? Is the second finger allowed to apply pressure and bend inwards?

Isn’t below the knuckle better for speed?

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
@Drongoski is particularly harsh cuz he got bailed on by people from bos when he tried to help with handwriting at a coffee shop. The wounds have not healed ^^.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Basically, as oppose to using your fingers and wrist to write, you instead use the flashy part of your forearm on the edge of the table, keep your wrist and fingers still and just use the motion of your arm on the table to write.
Thank you!!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Thank you very much; I see what you mean by "moving the arm" - not quite how I'd describe it. If someone would be kind enough to video me doing my handwriting, it'd better illustrate what I've been trying to say. I don't know how to do this myself, I'm embarrassed to say.

Last edited:

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sorry if I seem to use rather harsh language. I'm frustrated to see more than 50% of people nowadays being unable to write. It is no fault of theirs. Maybe nobody showed them how to do it properly when they started out learning to write at maybe 5, 6 or 7 years old. Most of the time no one showed them how to hold the pen and this is fundamental. And how to form the characters. Even when they learn handwriting in their primary school, either they were not correctly taught, or did not learn it well. Once they have a poor start, they are stuck with it. From my observation and experience, it is very hard to correct it, once you have started it incorrectly. It is no rocket science and yet I'm amazed to see so many struggling with it.

If only I can demonstrate what I mean, instead of trying to describe it.
It's okay, no problem at all. I understand your frustration, but as you said, sometimes it's not their fault. They were taught at such young ages like 5, and changing it suddenly would be quite hard you know.

That's okay, maybe one day you can. And maybe you'll be able to also create some kind of life changing workshop which will aid everyone in writing properly so they don't struggle with it as we're older.

idkkdi

HSC
It's okay, no problem at all. I understand your frustration, but as you said, sometimes it's not their fault. They were taught at such young ages like 5, and changing it suddenly would be quite hard you know.

That's okay, maybe one day you can. And maybe you'll be able to also create some kind of life changing workshop which will aid everyone in writing properly so they don't struggle with it as we're older.
Doubt drongoski will do the workshop thing again. Probably still scarred from being bailed on by people thinking he’s a creepy lurker on bos lmao. I would be if I was him.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
@Drongoski is particularly harsh cuz he got bailed on by people from bos when he tried to help with handwriting at a coffee shop. The wounds have not healed ^^.
Oh damn, that's disappointing to hear especially when you're trying to help other. Hopefully if @Drongoski decides to have a workshop next time, people there will actually turn up, and appreciate it for many years to come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)