Acceptable handwriting in English essays? (1 Viewer)

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Doubt drongoski will do the workshop thing again. Probably still scarred from being bailed on by people thinking he’s a creepy lurker on bos lmao. I would be if I was him.
Oh, well then maybe he can have a short demonstration or 'what's in the workshop video' to prove it's genuine. Or one online through zoom or something.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Doubt drongoski will do the workshop thing again. Probably still scarred from being bailed on by people thinking he’s a creepy lurker on bos lmao. I would be if I was him.
Wrong. I'd be more than happy to do it, if it helps, and if it is safe to do so. But I was very disappointed at the behavior of young people - who were inconsiderate. I took the trouble to turn up, was prepared to buy them each a cup of coffee etc and what did they do - just not have the courtesy to turn up.
My only "expertise" is in some high school level maths. I'm not trained to teach handwriting. But I grew up in the age of handwriting. That does not mean I'm a handwriting expert. I remember the not unusual practice of requiring job applicants to submit their application in their "own handwriting", instead of a typewritten one. Personal computers were unheard of. You had typewriters(Have you seen one?). The most expensive typewriters were the IBM Selectric - that enabled someone like the late Jim Coroneos to "typeset" his books (which many of you consider ugly - but those were the days before TeX)

Last edited:

turtle67

HSC
Re turtle67's video on pen grip:
That is "the correct" way to hold your pen. If you have access to a person older than 60, chances are he/she can show you how to write.
Whilst having a smooth-flowing pen helps, by itself you cannot write well if you, like over 50% of youngsters nowadays, do not know how to write correctly.
do you reckon having the thumb so high is the correct way to write? I tried writing how they suggested, with the thumb higher and it just felt odd, probably because I'm not used to it but is this how you write? Normally I write with my thumb just a little bit above the other two fingers

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
do you reckon this actually makes your writing faster than it would be?
Until I see how you actually mean, it's hard to say. Looking at how I myself write, I think about 90 % of the movements
are made by my thumb and the next 2 fingers (I'm right-handed). Maybe this provides a clue.

turtle67

HSC
Until I see how you actually mean, it's hard to say. Looking at how I myself write, I think about 90 % of the movements
are made by my thumb and the next 2 fingers (I'm right-handed). Maybe this provides a clue.
I was just talking about the using your arm to write instead of your hand, like in the video which was attached somewhere on this forum.

I think by this stage it's probably quickest to write how you've learnt, there isn't much point completely changing styles now, particularly for those who are doing the HSC in two weeks

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if my handwriting is legible enough when I write my English essays. Despite it getting quite atrocious, I can usually read the majority of my own writing but sometimes also struggle to decipher some of my own words. I'm not sure if I can read my own handwriting because I know what I was trying to write or if my handwriting is actually legible in those areas. The first attachment is when I started my 1984 essay (after doing the short/unseen text responses) and the second attachment is the beginning of my second body (which is the messiest it got in the essay). I finished the essay with around 5 minutes left so I think I could slow down a decent amount but you be the judge o_O

Intro pic:
View attachment 29094

Bp2 pic:
View attachment 29095
Yeah um hsc markers are paid by paper and if they have to strain themselves to read messy or 'too cursive' handwriting, they won't be too happy.

My handwriting is bad and my eng teacher told me that they'll only mark the words they can read. So if they can't read anything, they'll pass it on the someone else then if they can't read it either they'll give it to the higher ups, If they can't read it either they'll give you a 0.

And your handwriting is not easy to read. Try writing on the line and carefully write out each letter properly.

Good luck!

HSC
I was just talking about the using your arm to write instead of your hand, like in the video which was attached somewhere on this forum.

I think by this stage it's probably quickest to write how you've learnt, there isn't much point completely changing styles now, particularly for those who are doing the HSC in two weeks

The way I hold my pen is actually demented.
Lemme try explaining in so...

The pen rests on my 2 bottom fingers (the pinky and the other one), my middle fingertip pressed down hard and makes a hook shape, my index finger's distal phalange is completely pressed down on the pen, behind the middle finger and the side of my thumb is on the side of the pen. (Yup 😅)

My kindergarten teacher was on smth because it really looks demented oh and bcs of the way I hold it, I'm forced to hold the pen really hard, increasing pressure to my fingers and wrist.

Saint Dev

HSC
Pro Tip. Spend $50 on a Lamy Fountain Pen and try using an incorrect grip on that thing. You won't even be able to write unless you hold it correctly so no need to try and practice with 'ordinary' pens. However, I was told by one of my teachers that the pen was rubbish...

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
@Drongoski is particularly harsh cuz he got bailed on by people from bos when he tried to help with handwriting at a coffee shop. The wounds have not healed ^^.
@Saint Dev, thanks for reminding to reintroduce my messy handwriting to @Drongoski and his favourite Barista!

I feel like this guy pales in comparison to my spectacular I mean messy handwriting. Like so what if he’s been tutoring/teaching for a very very long time, he can’t climb the skill curve fast enough. I bet if he showed my handwriting at the coffee shop, he would win free coffee for an entire year!

Again here is the sample, mind you this is still my worst of the worst, I present, pure messiness on paper!

Attachments

Last edited:

Auzendriel

HSC
Pro Tip. Spend $50 on a Lamy Fountain Pen and try using an incorrect grip on that thing. You won't even be able to write unless you hold it correctly so no need to try and practice with 'ordinary' pens. However, I was told by one of my teachers that the pen was rubbish...
Lamy gang. They're the best lol. I own a Lamy Safari, Al star and a Parker Jotter.

Jojofelyx

HSC
How do you guys hold pens? This thread prompted me to have a look around because I've heard a lot of people say most people don't hold the pen correctly. Do you guys hold it just traditionally as in all three fingers sort of together or with the thumb higher and using your other two fingers to guide like I just saw in this video
?
Have you actually tried writing like that? I tried and I'm using a fountain pen and still, my hand is cramping. But I'm not really worried, 2 years till my HSC english but I'm still managing 1250 words comfortably in 40 minutes so woohooooo!

idkkdi

HSC
Have you actually tried writing like that? I tried and I'm using a fountain pen and still, my hand is cramping. But I'm not really worried, 2 years till my HSC english but I'm still managing 1250 words comfortably in 40 minutes so woohooooo!
i could write faster in yr 10 than now lol.

Auzendriel

HSC
what fountain pen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)